3DCoat Forums

The First attempts colouring my Model /STL-file

Kaa

Thanks,- too much info for me as a beginner.

I made texture resolution 2048.

I tried to do the same as in this video: 

But if I mark the checkbox  "Lock normals", the result is a dark model without any contour / (without UV map?)

Did the guy on the video has an UV map in his loaded obj-file already? My file is a STL-file...

This all happens when importing directly without scene.

When importing into a scene, there's no checkbox for "Lock normals"... the result is a model then, which has triangles disturbing flat surfaces,- no sharp edges.

2.JPG

mhmm....  seems so... 

Actually, there's the only problem on the flat surfaces as on the panel picture above: At the front, You can see the white lines as a cross. This has influence on all layers, no matter what I try,- except "Ambient Occlusion"  seems to cover / hide this lines.

Meanwhile... I like my wooden Screw:

3 wooden screw.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 23.10.2017 at 4:25 PM, houGenie said:

I think you have only one smoothing group on your model. So your normals seem not to be correct

The bad news: My trial period of 3D-coat is over. ( and totally had no time to check out, how to work with 3DC )

The good news: Bought 3D coat today.   ...

Long time ago, Andrew Shpagin   wrote:

"Smoothing groups are supported via OBJ format. But you need to export normals also from your 3D-model app. 3D-Coat uses normals in OBJ file to recover smoothing groups." 

Is it the same until today?

My CAD can't export OBJ,-  the only mesh export option is STL-format.

Any hints?  

Please note that I am a beginner and I have absolutely no idea about mesh modelling

• Like 1

Hi !

3D printing uses the geometry as it is, there is no smoothing applied. A lot of 3D software has smoothing applied to the render based on how "light is calculated on the normals, but that smoothing isn't "real" and won't translate to 3D printing.

Example:

https://airwolf3d.com/2014/10/22/smoothing-stl-file-sketchup-blender-3d-printing/

• Like 1