3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Best way to prepare voxel mesh for UV painting

Metin Seven

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Sorry for all my questions, but I'm still exploring 3D Coat, and loving it.

I was wondering:

If you take a voxel object straight from the Sculpt room to the Paint room, you'll be painting with vertex colors.

What's the best / easiest way to convert a sculpted voxel object to an automatically UV-mapped mesh that's ready for UV painting in the Paint room?

I assume the key room for this is the Retopo room, but what steps should I take if I want the voxel object to be meshed and get UVs in stead of going through retopology?

Many thanks,

Metin

• Advanced Member

Hi @Carlosan,

I'm thinking of fairly high-poly sculpts. Triangular polygons are OK, no quad retopo would be necessary. Just spontaneous sculpting in voxels, then quick and easy automatic UV mapping to get it into the Paint room.

Thanks,

Metin

The Decimate autoRetopo feature is really great as it manages to preserve any sharp edges on your models -access this command pressing RMB over the layer-.

Then in Retopo room, use Autoseams to create the uv islands, bake and paint the model directly in Paint Room.

Hope this help.

RetopoViadecimation.jpg

AutoSeams.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi @Carlosan,

I've tried your tips, and I succeeded to a certain extent, assuming you have to press Unwrap after performing the Auto Seams.

Then I went to Bake menu ➔ Retopo Per Pixel (No Baking).

Finally I went to the Paint room, but things don't work how I expected yet. I can see paint being applied on the texture in the Texture Editor, but I don't see it on my object, only sometimes I see it on the object, and if I apply a text, it looks very jagged and doesn't show up in the Texture Editor, as if vertex colors are used in stead of the texture.

Thanks,

Metin

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 13.07.03.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 13.08.09.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 13.15.53.png

• Advanced Member

Hmm… I just discovered that the text was applied to the texture, but the 3D model still looks like it's showing vertex paint, or a very low resolution proxy of the actual texture?

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 13.21.09.png

• Advanced Member

Hmm, it's even weirder — as I orbit around the model, the visible paint flips to the other UV parts. Might this be a bug of the 4.8.3 beta for Mac OS that I'm using? Otherwise I could try to revert to the default Mac OS driver for my NVidia graphics card. I'm currently using NVidia's latest Web driver.

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 19.06.22.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 19.06.37.png

Edited by Metin Seven

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Metin Seven said:

Hmm, it's even weirder — as I orbit around the model, the visible paint flips to the other UV parts. Might this be a bug of the 4.8.3 beta for Mac OS that I'm using? Otherwise I could try to revert to the default Mac OS driver for my NVidia graphics card. I'm currently using NVidia's latest Web driver.

Just a hunch but I've seen similar behavior in 3D Coat when there are multiple copies of the same paint object (since they both occupy the same space sometimes the unpainted version will render over the top of the painted one and vice versa, this usually results in the object flickering and the texture appearing and disappearing on different parts of the model as you move the camera).  Check your Paint Objects palette and make sure you don't have multiple copies of the object visible.

• Advanced Member

Hi @Carlosan and @Fluffy,

I've tried it again today, and it worked (see my attached artistic masterpiece).

Thanks a lot! I checked if there were multiple objects in the Paint Objects, and there was only one, but I guess the problem was that I had already painted on the model using vertex colors, before switching off Show Voxels In Paint Room.

Have a nice evening,

Metin

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 19.11.38.png

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Best way to prepare voxel mesh for UV painting