3DCoat Forums

How to Easily Select Paint Object from 3D View

Francois

Is there a fast way to select a Paint Object from the 3D view? I want to single out a spesific object to paint on it, but finding it in the Paint Objects pannel takes way too long.

I know you can hit H and it will automatically select a voxel layer but that doesn't work with paint objects. Is there a way to convert paint objects to voxel layers

Another possible workaround would be if I can somehow see the Paint Object's name when I hover over it in the 3D view.

Even naming the layers won't help btw because there are way too many of them.

Untitled-1.jpg

On 5/5/2016 at 11:33 AM, Gary Dave said:

Actually 3dc will only try to paint on a single object at a time, it all depends on what your cursor is hovering over. Here's a gif of what I mean. The knob, drawer and back piece are all separate objects. I can only paint across them all if I do it on purpose, otherwise if I keep the centre of my cursor over one object, it will only paint on that object.

Notice how my fall-off range is much larger, but the brush is not painting on multiple objects, until the end where I purposefully paint across all of them.

ONJaYSi.gif

I only hide objects in the paint room if they're a bit too fiddly to be painted in this manner.

@houGenie yes exactly, I feel like something like this would be usefull

@Carlosan Thank you for the reply but this does not solve my problem. It is not so much about not painting on the other objects, it is more about being able to view the object nicely from all sides. If you look at my example, there are a lot of small details that I would like to isolate and paint around them because they are reused in many parts of the scene from different angles. The way the cursor works is usefull and I use this function a lot but it does not solve my current problem.

• Advanced Member

watching 3d Coats dev from the very beginning, i am always surprised about these kind of things still not being implemented. I always said, 3dcoat needs to make its features work 100% before cluttering it with dozens of other not 100% reliable tools or features which Pixologic partially took and made it actually work 100%. one example is that lego block tool. Utterly useless just taking space. I told my opinion on how to improve 3dcoat years ago. I still dont get why the tools are so confusingly layed out. Switching to surface mode, has some of the same tools but at a different position. I am using 3dcoat for years now on and off, and i still find myself wasting  time looking for the tools. Has nobody ever mentioned that.Is every 3dcoat user really happy with that? Then Substance Painter came....

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, vivi said:

watching 3d Coats dev from the very beginning, i am always surprised about these kind of things still not being implemented. I always said, 3dcoat needs to make its features work 100% before cluttering it with dozens of other not 100% reliable tools or features which Pixologic partially took and made it actually work 100%. one example is that lego block tool. Utterly useless just taking space. I told my opinion on how to improve 3dcoat years ago. I still dont get why the tools are so confusingly layed out. Switching to surface mode, has some of the same tools but at a different position. I am using 3dcoat for years now on and off, and i still find myself wasting  time looking for the tools. Has nobody ever mentioned that.Is every 3dcoat user really happy with that? Then Substance Painter came....

3D Coat is really an awesome software with really cool features. But I am with you, some things are really cumbersome and not so standard. The whole workflow with the various rooms comes to my mind. Or the selection of multiple layers, is it possible ? Did not find a solution. But I like it more then SP nonetheless.

7 minutes ago, houGenie said:

A cumbersome solution unfortunately. Would be cool, if the H key would work like in sculpt room. But thanks for the tips!

H key is used on Paint room to select layers if you move the cursor over the model painted zones and press it.

- This function request was sent to the developers. Thank you.

• Like 1

@Carlosan Yeah that video tutorial is not really helpful enough. Hiding all the polies around the object I want to paint might just take as long as trying to manually find the object in the Paint Objects tab and isolate it. I understand the H key is used to find the layers, so maybe a different key or something like Ctrl + H might be used? Either way I feel like hitting a button to find the corresponding Paint Object might not be too hard to implement.

@vivi I don't really agree, Substance Painter can't even seperate objects so they are faaaaaaar behind in terms of the problem I am addressing in this post

• Advanced Member

I wouldn t mind h key select both layer and paint object...

I have been asking for this many times , especially when you have many objects.

My only way to find my objects was to open my modeling package and search by name from there :P

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks @Front. Best solution By Far. Doing so one doesn't even need to name objects. But hiding some remains a pain in the ass. 

In RizomUV, just by hovering any geometry : H, hides it, I isolates it, Y unhide all. So F***ing useful....

RizomUV opened a thread on their own forum : "Vote for new shortucts". User decided by their votes what seemed logical. And RizomUV coded their choice. That's how users' feedback should be used. 

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com