3DCoat Forums

Please, Help!!!! 3D-Coat - best pc build -> (AMD Threadripper?)

Rygaard

• Reputable Contributor

In general Overclocking all the time could diminish the longevity of a component to one degree or another. That depends on how much you push it to it's performance limit, for how long/often, and the quality of the components. Nvidia developed this Overclocking (GPU Boost) so, they know how much headroom there is for it and try to cap voltage and other parameters to help preserve the cards over a normal life span of the component. NVidia has a 3yr warranty and some of these cards go beyond that, so as long as you are using it within its warranty requirements, then you are covered for at least 3yrs. This is why I just use the OC modes provided by the manufacturer and don't do any custom OC tweaking. 

I was just looking at EVGA OC Tweaking utility (EVGA Precision X OC) and it appears to be more geared toward serious overclockers than the novice or intermediate level tech geeks. My last 3 or 4 cards have been Gigabyte because I like it's Windforce (triple fan) coolers and they are always slim 2 slot profile cards. It's OC utility is very simple and user friendly, but has enough manual control for the more serious overclockers out there. 

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Falconius said:

It's a Gigabyte utility that you install with the card, but any of the big board manufacturers will have something similar.  You might want to keep in mind that video card technology advances pretty fast, a year from now who knows what things will look like but it could well be the medium-high end range will be as powerful if not more than the ti.  That said I don't think you'll regret buying a Ti.  For me the biggest consideration between the various cards was price, I bought the one I did because it was significantly cheaper than all the rest of the 1080's, for instance the ROG STRIX version was more than 100 bucks more expensive, and because the reviews it had were good.  I don't think you find that the performance differences between the various Ti's all that striking.  Go for a good price, good reviews and a company you trust.

I had understood that it was a unique function of the Gigabyte card and found it wonderful.
I also believe that should have similarly choose mode function in GTX 1080ti.
Sure enough, technology is advancing so fast that in a year or so in a few months, much better things will come out and maybe even better than the GTX 1080i.
Actually, the price difference between video cards is absurd. I'm targeting a GTX 1080i so I can not worry over a long period of time wanting to replace it, but after a while this is inevitable. It's part of the game!
True, the performance difference between the 1080i GTX hardly exist anymore. Thanks for the info and tips!

• Reputable Contributor

This is the card(s) I have and I think Falconius has the same one, too. I love it. Great price, slim, very quiet and cool. I would never notice the difference between it and a more expensive and bulky ASUS Strix version of the 1080. To me, that's wasted $$$ just to take up more valuable space on the motherboard. The power draw is incredibly efficient on this card, too. Only one 8pin connector is needed. The Ti version needs 2.

• Contributor
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

In general Overclocking all the time could diminish the longevity of a component to one degree or another. That depends on how much you push it to it's performance limit, for how long/often, and the quality of the components. Nvidia developed this Overclocking (GPU Boost) so, they know how much headroom there is for it and try to cap voltage and other parameters to help preserve the cards over a normal life span of the component. NVidia has a 3yr warranty and some of these cards go beyond that, so as long as you are using it within its warranty requirements, then you are covered for at least 3yrs. This is why I just use the OC modes provided by the manufacturer and don't do any custom OC tweaking. 

I was just looking at EVGA OC Tweaking utility (EVGA Precision X OC) and it appears to be more geared toward serious overclockers than the novice or intermediate level tech geeks. My last 3 or 4 cards have been Gigabyte because I like it's Windforce (triple fan) coolers and they are always slim 2 slot profile cards. It's OC utility is very simple and user friendly, but has enough manual control for the more serious overclockers out there. 

AbnRanger,
Now, I was much more relaxed about the overclocking.
In fact, in the video he explained, that things happen very fast and after a few years we have to buy a new pc. I have always had a very limited thinking for fear of breaking or shortening the life span of the pc parts (even because nothing is given for free). But, I've changed my mind, I'm going to start doing overclocks on the video card and maybe on the processor, but of course, nothing absurd and in a controlled way provided by the manufacturer like you mentioned it does.

I realized that there are a numbers called Profiles within the application settings in the OC. creating or messing with these Profiles refers to the part you talked about custom OC settings? (which is a riskier thing, no)?

Overclocking the video card and processor can bring many benefits when using 3D-Coat or does it become unnecessary?

• Contributor
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

This is the card(s) I have and I think Falconius has the same one, too. I love it. Great price, slim, very quiet and cool. I would never notice the difference between it and a more expensive and bulky ASUS Strix version of the 1080. To me, that's wasted $$$ just to take up more valuable space on the motherboard. The power draw is incredibly efficient on this card, too. Only one 8pin connector is needed. The Ti version needs 2.

AbnRanger,

Your video card is great.
If I'm not mistaken, you have two in SLI, right?
Tell me about your experience of overclocking them in performance using 3D-Coat, sculpt room and paint room. :)

Can you tell me if the EVGA GTX 1080i ftw3 video card has the OC / Animation modes that your video card has or something similar?
I tried to research it, but I did not find something similar in its configuration.

If I can not get this GTX 1080TI, I'll want to get the same model from your video card (if I can 2 of them in SLI).

Another thing, is there a big difference in the use of 2 video cards in 3D-Coat?

• Reputable Contributor

The software tweaking utility for EVGA seems suited a little more for experienced OC'ers, but yes, you could create profiles and save them, whereas the Gigabyte utility makes it easier for beginners, intermediate and even those who simply don't want to fool with custom OC'ing, because they want maximum stability and ease of use, instead.

SLI only works for gaming. When using multi-card setups for rendering, SLI doesn't help/work. The render engine will see all installed cards and the user can use them all or deselect one, if needed, in the Render options. Neither 3D Coat, nor 3D applications will make use of a 2nd or 3rd card in normal day to day work. Usually, it's only applicable for GPU rendering, which is OK. GPU rendering is like having multiple render machines all in one desktop.

• Contributor

AbnRanger,

You're right, the EVGA utility is geared toward people who already have contact and know exactly what they're doing with OC. I would very much like the ease of the Gigabyte utility, but everything is not perfect, nothing like struggling a little and learning.
Anyway, I've already decided that I'll get one of these two video cards, I think I'll be very well served. :)

Again, thank you for clarifying things further for me.
I thought that with SLI there would be the possibility of increased performance when sculpting or painting within 3d-Coat or in other programs. Now, I already know where the SLI is headed! Very interesting indeed.

Please give me your opinion regarding motherboard.
I've seen reviews between the motherboards that are made for the AMD Threadripper 1950X processor.
I had stayed between 2 motherboards: the one that they say is the top of the line ASUS ROG STRIX X399 and the motherboard Asrock Taichi x399.
I know that Asus is more expensive to offer more features and at the same time say that it is more complicated  to be configured.
As for ASrock Taichi it's cheaper and they say it's simpler (not as robust as Asus) and easier to set up.
I chose ASichi Taichi x399, but I would like to hear from you if this would be the best choice for this pc build.
What do you think?

• Reputable Contributor

I have heard nothing but rave reviews for the ASROCK Taichi for the Ryzen 7 line (X370). I have one step down from that board, with the Killer SLI ac MB. Wish I sprang for the Taichi, to get more GPU slots, but this was pretty loaded for the price. I would be inclined to go with the ASROCK Taichi X399. Has pretty much everything you'd be looking for, priced well and it's become a very reputable brand, lately.

• Reputable Contributor

Just to clarify about SLI...it's really technology for gaming only. If you have multiple GPU's in your system and are about to play a game, you will want to install the SLI bridge (adapter that usually comes with your motherboard). But if you are going to use your cards for GPU rendering, you would want to take that bridge off. Again, the render engines will recognize each card installed in your system and use them accordingly. There is usually a section in your Render Options (in apps like 3ds Max, Maya, C4D, etc) that will let you check which cards are installed and you can uncheck any that you don't want used.

A scenario where that (unchecking a card) might be feasible is when using the GPU engine for preview rendering. Unchecking the card that is connected to your display, will let one card render and one card do nothing but display. This lets you move about your scene fluidly, without lag, while the other card(s) handle the preview rendering. Naturally, when you are ready to do a final render, you probably want to make sure each card is checked (enabled).

• Contributor

I was already sure about the ASRock Taichi X399. Now, I no longer have any doubts as to which motherboard I'll get for the pc build. Thank you very much! :)

I appreciate a lot for clarifying even more about how SLI works.
I had already seen, in a video, the person choosing which card or video cards would be using to render a scene, in these case it was in Blender.
I did not know you would have to get that bridge between the 2 boards if you use the boards to render. Great information!

Another curiosity about Overclocking, but now it is processor and memory.
Do you think overclocking of the processor and memories is necessary or is it already overkill and can cause problems?

• Reputable Contributor

You use the SLI bridge only when gaming. You should remove it if you are rendering. As for OC'ing the CPU, yes. Stock clock speeds are artificially too low. You don't want to push it right up against the boundary, but you don't want to leave it at stock, either. On memory, whatever it is rated at, that's the max clock speed you should attempt. However, it's very easy. Just choose the XMP 2.0 profile (automatically detects the RAM's timings and voltage) and set it for the max amount your RAM is rated. Mine is rated at 3200mhz, so that is what I selected in the BIOS. That's all it takes. The CPU is pretty easy, too. Just research online what others are overclocking their CPU's at, and at what voltage. Start out a bit below that, and see if it is stable for you. Maybe enable CPU mode for Blender Cycles and render something for about 10 min. If it remains stable during that period, you could consider it a stable clock. 

If you need to go higher, just reboot into the BIOS and bump the speed up again, in small increments, and test again. Once you find a point where it isn't stable, back it off a bit and test again. If that is stable you might decide to stick with that clock speed, as your highest stable OC. 

• Contributor

AbnRanger,
Perfect the SLI scheme! Sorry! I made a mistake in my comment, I wanted to say one thing and another one came out! :D

Very important what you have told me about processor and memory overclocking.
Now, I'm sure I'll do the Overclocking of the processor, but nothing overdone (in the right measure).
As well as, I will set the memories the way you explained. Thank you!

About storage:
I'm going to get the Samsung evo 960 512gb for OS installation and major programs (maybe some games).

I've seen videos, people working with Premiere, make use of Raid 0 (with Samsung evo 960) and other settings with HDD as well.

What do you think about having a Raid 0 of ssd's for data storage?
Summarizing, in your opinion, what would be the scheme (configuration) perfect storage, back to our daily lives in 3d, render, etc and other programs in order to read and write files??

• Advanced Member

I think RAID Arrays, in general are a bad idea, especially a RAID 0 which has no parity (duplicate information).  With SSD's they are mostly pointless, for the vast vast majority of users.  SSD's are ridiculously fast, but they are comparatively expensive memory to platters, putting SSD's into a RAID array is like welding a bunch of Lamborghini's together hoping it will make them faster.  The speed limitations with SATA SSD's has more to do with the speed capacity of the interface with the board/CPU, which is where the SSD NVMe's come in as that interface has a greater capacity for information flow.   For bulk data storage just use regular hard drives and move projects back to the SSD when you are working on them.  For steam games (which eat huge swaths of disk space) you can back them up (under the 'steam' menu in the top left corner of the steam gui) to the regular hard drives when you stop playing them for a while, and then restore them back to the SSD when you want to use them.

Hey!  

Well it's all built and turned on!  I haven't really had a chance to sit down and stress test it yet but it's going strong so far.  The ram I purchased seems to be running flawlessly at 3200mhz after enabling XMP in the BIOS so that's good!  Still I believe G.SKILL's c14 3200 ram is going to be you're best bet.  Mine's c16 which means it'll be a tad slower.  Again, I'm sure I'll never notice.  The fact it's running at 3200 is good enough for me!  Just need another set of 2x8's...

I haven't done any overclocking yet.  I'll probably try to push the Threadripper up to 4.0 once I get more established.  With the Enermax TR4 360 I don't think it'll be any issue at all.  I do REALLY like how you can use AMD's Ryzen Master to tweak everything in Windows [I'm running Win 10 Pro].  I haven't toyed with it too much but it seems I can easily switch between profile settings for different needs.  So I can easily hop in, set it to a higher clock speed when I about to do something more demanding instead of it running at that speed all the time!

I'm running a 960 EVO 500gb myself with the same intention, OS/programs/download folder/major files.  I have 2x 850 EVO 250gb SSDs in my old rig that I'll clean up and transfer to my new one.  I don't know too much about RAID, but in my mind having the two would be good for temp scratch files and sim files?  I hope to also get heavily into Houdini. I'm definitely interested in what everyone thinks about RAIDing them.  I've heard mixed thoughts on it.  

Just for fun, here's the PCPartPicker of my build so far.  Fortunately I was able to shave some costs on almost all the parts and already have the monitors/keyboard/mouse/speakers.  

I'm stoked to see the monster you finally bring to life!

- Brad

24115338_10155807278080011_1406922055_o.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor
23 minutes ago, Falconius said:

I think RAID Arrays, in general are a bad idea, especially a RAID 0 which has no parity (duplicate information).  With SSD's they are mostly pointless, for the vast vast majority of users.  SSD's are ridiculously fast, but they are comparatively expensive memory to platters, putting SSD's into a RAID array is like welding a bunch of Lamborghini's together hoping it will make them faster.  The speed limitations with SATA SSD's has more to do with the speed capacity of the interface with the board/CPU, which is where the SSD NVMe's come in as that interface has a greater capacity for information flow.   For bulk data storage just use regular hard drives and move projects back to the SSD when you are working on them.  For steam games (which eat huge swaths of disk space) you can back them up (under the 'steam' menu in the top left corner of the steam gui) to the regular hard drives when you stop playing them for a while, and then restore them back to the SSD when you want to use them.

Hey....
I've always been afraid of RAID 0 on the pc because of the possibility of breaking a ssd or hdd any operating system or data gets lost.
I also believe it's a bad idea.

Because of the advancement in technology, I thought people might change the storage scheme in their day to day.

I say this because of this kind of video :

What do you think of this video?

Edited by Rygaard
name wrong

• Contributor

Hey Brad,

First of all I would like to congratulate you! It´s look fantastic!
I'm sure you will have all the time in the world to play around with this toy and find the best settings for your tasks in your day to day life.

What a relief then the memory is working at 3200mhz! And as you said  you will not notice any difference between the C14 and C16. Calmly, you increase the amount of memory! :)

Very interesting this whole scheme of Overclocking settings and this possibility of you create and change profiles according to your task.
Thank you for reporting this. When I have mine, I will have to research enough to understand how it works, I'm already very excited! :)

Regarding storage, I'm also in doubt about the best kind of configuration.
I posted a video I saw on youtube above and demonstrates the use of 3 SSD's in RAID.

WOW ... I saw the photo, it's fantastic!
For sure, I hope to share with everyone my little monster that is about to be born! :D
And I owe it all to all of you who are helping me and having a lot of patience with me. Thank you so much!

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, Rygaard said:

AbnRanger,
Perfect the SLI scheme! Sorry! I made a mistake in my comment, I wanted to say one thing and another one came out! :D

Very important what you have told me about processor and memory overclocking.
Now, I'm sure I'll do the Overclocking of the processor, but nothing overdone (in the right measure).
As well as, I will set the memories the way you explained. Thank you!

About storage:
I'm going to get the Samsung evo 960 512gb for OS installation and major programs (maybe some games).

I've seen videos, people working with Premiere, make use of Raid 0 (with Samsung evo 960) and other settings with HDD as well.

What do you think about having a Raid 0 of ssd's for data storage?
Summarizing, in your opinion, what would be the scheme (configuration) perfect storage, back to our daily lives in 3d, render, etc and other programs in order to read and write files??

Raid makes some sense if you are using SSD drives (connected to SATA 3 ports), but it seems overkill for the M.2 NVME drives, as those are already 1500+ mb/s. Depends on use case, though. If one is pushing the limits of their system, with lots of 4k and 60fps footage clips to edit, you could try to set them up in such a config. But I don't think the average 3D artist will find it feasible. It's a good idea to get the one you mentioned for Windows and major applications like your 3D apps and Adobe apps, then use a 250-500GB SSD drive for your video content and scratch disk (Adobe recommends this for PP or AE). But for more permanent storage, go with a standard 2-3TB+ Hard drive.

• Contributor

AbnRanger,

After reading your comment and watching the videos you posted, I conclude the following setting for storage.

1x Samsung evo 960 512gb -> Just for installation of the Operating System (Windows 10), all the main programs and ...

Note: For the installation of games would it be on evo 960 or on the SSD below?

2x SSDs (in Raid or not depending on what is best) -> Just for main projects, main data and files (main alphas, textures and etc), Cache folder and etc.

In your opinion, in terms of cost / benefit, what would be a good SSD?

HDD -> For more permanent data. 
(What would be a good cost benefit?)

• Advanced Member

Beautiful machine you got there BAAJR!  Congrats.
Man I love RGB lighting.

Rygaard.  About the RAID.  The most I hear about RAID array's is in disaster stories.  I very rarely hear about it in good use scenarios like that guy editing 60 GB 4k videos.  I can see textures and huge 3D modeling files, or PSD files, eating up a few gig's, but honestly wouldn't expect that unless you are video editing you'd see enough benefit from the RAID system to mitigate the risk, except for a RAID 1 array (even then it seems kind of wasteful to me, but then I'll not be encountering scenarios that I'll see the benefit).  My suggestion is to try it without, and see how it is, and then if you still think it slow then consider going the SSD RAID route.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Rygaard said:

AbnRanger,

After reading your comment and watching the videos you posted, I conclude the following setting for storage.

1x Samsung evo 960 512gb -> Just for installation of the Operating System (Windows 10), all the main programs and ...

Note: For the installation of games would it be on evo 960 or on the SSD below?

2x SSDs (in Raid or not depending on what is best) -> Just for main projects, main data and files (main alphas, textures and etc), Cache folder and etc.

In your opinion, in terms of cost / benefit, what would be a good SSD?

HDD -> For more permanent data. 
(What would be a good cost benefit?)

You could make the SSD something like Samsung 850 or something like a Sandisk Ultra II. They all pretty much  top out at 550mb/s read/write

https://www.sandisk.com/home/ssd/ultra-ii-ssd

• Contributor
42 minutes ago, Falconius said:

Beautiful machine you got there BAAJR!  Congrats.
Man I love RGB lighting.

Rygaard.  About the RAID.  The most I hear about RAID array's is in disaster stories.  I very rarely hear about it in good use scenarios like that guy editing 60 GB 4k videos.  I can see textures and huge 3D modeling files, or PSD files, eating up a few gig's, but honestly wouldn't expect that unless you are video editing you'd see enough benefit from the RAID system to mitigate the risk, except for a RAID 1 array (even then it seems kind of wasteful to me, but then I'll not be encountering scenarios that I'll see the benefit).  My suggestion is to try it without, and see how it is, and then if you still think it slow then consider going the SSD RAID route.

@Falconi,
You're absolutely right! Thank you for your guidance!
I will no longer think of Raid for SSDs. Maybe this kind of setup is too exaggerated and will not bring much benefit to people like us using 3D-Coat and other programs.
I think this kind of setup in RAid 0 is more geared towards those who use Adobe Primiere.

Now, I just need to know which brand (cost and benefit) for the SSD and the HDD.

• Contributor

AbnRanger,
Thank you!
I'll now look for both: Samsung 850 or something like Sandisk Ultra II!

And What HDD you recommend?

After researching here, I believe that this hdd  is good enough: Seagate Barracuda Pro de 6TB 256MB Cache 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb / s 3.5“

Edited by Rygaard

• Contributor
2 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I think the Black is the higher performance version. Green, more efficient.

I do not know if I'm wrong but after searching the internet and it seems the best cost and benefit for hdd is the Seagate Barracuda Pro.

• Contributor

What would be the ideal Power Supply for this pc build?

I learned that to get the most out of the Threadripper, the power supply should have two 8 pin EPS connectors.
In addition, this pc build has the video card GTX 1080 ti and others pieces.

I do not quite understand, but I realized that there are gold, platinum, and etc...
I think the Power Supply should have over 1000w for this pc build to work properly, am I right?

I saw this model:
EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS 220-GS-1050-V1 80+ GOLD 1050W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode

What do you think? What would be the best model and brand for the Power Supply? (without being expensive)?

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Rygaard said:

What would be the ideal Power Supply for this pc build?

I learned that to get the most out of the Threadripper, the power supply should have two 8 pin EPS connectors.
In addition, this pc build has the video card GTX 1080 ti and others pieces.

I do not quite understand, but I realized that there are gold, platinum, and etc...
I think the Power Supply should have over 1000w for this pc build to work properly, am I right?

I saw this model:
EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS 220-GS-1050-V1 80+ GOLD 1050W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode

What do you think? What would be the best model and brand for the Power Supply? (without being expensive)?

With that build and just a single 1080ti (250W TDP) you would probably want to have a minimum of a 750W PS. Then, if you plan to add multiple cards (for GPU rendering), then you would want to figure about 250/card. So, yes, a 1000W Gold rated PS would be a good choice. That is what I currently have. But, if you plan to have more than 2 graphic cards, you might consider a 1200 PS.

• Contributor

AbnRanger,

Thank you for putting me in the right path of choosing the Power Supply.
I don´t know if I will have 2 video cards (I believe in the future if there is need), but anyway, I'll prevent myself and get a PS of 1200w.
I am seeing the model EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply, but the value is a bit high.

Regarding the Case, after researching a lot and getting crazy with the diversity of cases that exist, a case in particular caught my attention: the Thermaltake Core X5.
I believe it will serve me in the best way possible.
I hope to be right this time. :)
What do you think?

Edited by Rygaard

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Rygaard said:

AbnRanger,

Thank you for putting me in the right path of choosing the Power Supply.
I don´t know if I will have 2 video cards (I believe in the future if there is need), but anyway, I'll prevent myself and get a PS of 1200w.
I am seeing the model EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply, but the value is a bit high.

Regarding the Case, after researching a lot and getting crazy with the diversity of cases that exist, a case in particular caught my attention: the Thermaltake Core X5.
I believe it will serve me in the best way possible.
I hope to be right this time. :)
What do you think?

Here is an EVGA 1000W Gold+ certified for $129 ($99 after rebate). That's probably what I would get if I were building a similar system. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438062