3DCoat Forums

The latest trailer from Kojima's Death Stranding

• Advanced Member

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/12/11/kojima-explains-death-stranding-gameplay-and-lore

KOJIMA EXPLAINS DEATH STRANDING GAMEPLAY AND LORE
Share. Hideo Kojima on what happens when your character dies, "Timefall," and that ubiquitous baby.
BY MARTY SLIVA “I’m trying to make something different. How to show that, how to have people see that, that’s something I’m trying to figure out.”

As usual, Hideo Kojima was calm and collected as I spoke to him just hours after the newest look at Death Stranding at the 2017 Game Awards. I’ve spoken with him several times throughout the past few years, from the forging of his partnership with Sony and his decision to use the Decima Engine, to the opening of his new studio deep in the heart of Shinagawa. But this time, something different happened. This time, I walked away from my time with Kojima with some actual, tangible details about the gameplay mechanics, philosophy, and lore of Death Stranding.

“Games started over 40 years ago with arcades. When the player dies, it’s game over. You continue, and time goes back to before you die. You can die as many times as you want, but you always go back to a little bit before you die. That was a mechanic made specifically for putting in coins, and it hasn’t changed since then.

As Kojima spoke of the way a vast majority of games treat the concepts of life, death, and mortality, it was clear that Death Stranding was aiming to eschew this tradition. “One of the themes of this game is life and death. So I want people to realize that when they die in the game, that isn’t the end.”

I want people to realize that when they die in the game, that isn’t the end.

Partway through the latest clip from Death Stranding, Sam (played by Norman Reedus) watches as an explosion engulfs the giant, Lovecraftian-kaiju that projects through the fog. Suddenly we see an upside-down world submerged in water, where Sam exists among the flotsam and jetsam of the universe around him.

From the sound of it, this is where Sam, and the player, go every time they die. But don’t make the mistake of calling this “game over.” When you die in Death Stranding, you’re transported to this purgatory, where you’re free to explore in first-person. Because of some mysterious “unique” abilities Sam possesses, you can wander outside of your body, recovering items among other things. As Kojima explains, “At that point, you’re not dead or alive. It’s the equivalent of that screen that says ‘Continue?’ and a counter ticking down towards zero.”