3DCoat Forums

Is there any reason why the software is so laggy?

Forikundo

So im runing 4.8.03 version of 3dcoat and im trying to do some basic sculpting, im currently using the openggl version and I got i7-7700HQ GTX1050TI and 8gb of ram, I know its not much ram but im working with 250K poligons on surface mode and is laggy as hell in some tools, other tools work fine but some tools, like coat, pose or voxlayer are so laggy im getting really nervous using them.

Idk, maybe its the ram, but with 250k i should have no problem, idk if im not doing something properly.

• Reputable Contributor

Make sure to update your graphic card drivers and your Wacom drivers. Sometimes, issues with these can make the software seem sluggish. You could also monitor your RAM usage via Windows Task Manager, under the PERFORMANCE tab. If your consumption is within a few GB's of your System RAM limit, then Windows will start moving data to your pagefile, and that always slows the system down.

8GB should be OK at that level, but it is really the minimum of what one should be working with. The reason is, the system, without any major programs running, uses about 4-5GB. So, you are literally backed up against the wall, in terms of your RAM headroom. If you can, try to upgrade to 32GB or more, so that you have more than enough in most situations.

I have a machine with AMD ThreadRipper 1950X running at close to 4GHz 16 Cores, 32 Threads, 128GB of RAM and a 1080Ti GPU(and a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD that can do 3.5GB/s read and 2.1GB/s write). 3D Coat doesn't scale too well with quite a few features stuck on single thread. Even simple thing as delete, even if you have most of the mesh hidden you can wait a while. Some tools also can be laggy, Fill Holes tool lags just switching to it for a moment. Granted I work on mesh size of 1-15 million triangles(surface volumes). For sculpting program though, would have thought it could handle size like this, and for regular sculpt brushes usually it can just fine.

I used AUTOPO on a 10 million triangle layer yesterday, it took about 8-10 hours to finish. I accidentally double clicked an edge in selection mode on this 1 million triangle retopo mesh, been waiting over 30 minutes for response :P Quite a few tools that can do this in sculpt room as well.

For broader shapes you can use proxy mode with decimation and push/pull the surface into shape you want. I've noticed that it's not always reliable/accurate though if the non-proxy version has more detailed information already.

So Ive updated the videocard drivers , was a minor update but lets see if it get fixed, now im going to monitor the RAM usage but i think i get reallly close to my limit as u are saying, maybe thats the reason.

On the other hand Kwhali what a machine u have, im so impressed haha I guess that the software is not prepared to handle 10 million polys no matter what maching are u using, but dunno, its just a guess.

• Haha 1

• Reputable Contributor

I agree there could be some more multithreading in 3DC.

System , older 8 core Amd cpu, 16 gig system ram, 770 gtx, 4 gig of ram.

Below an Autopo test. 

Autopo------ 23 million surface mode model to a 7,000 polygon retopo model.  Time start of the calculation to the finish mesh, 27 seconds.  28,000 polygon autopo retopo mesh, time to completion 32 seconds.  This does not include the decimation part, the less decimation you apply in the autopo panel, the longer it will take to calculate for the retopo mesh. This is true of all the software that has autopo.  Also 3DC is not alone in crashing or failing  running a autopo routine. Mudbox has crashed running it's autopo and again it generally is error in the mesh. 

General rule of thumb if it is taking a long time to compete is possible errors in the mesh. Does it mean always a error, no...  In most of my cases, I have gone back and found self- intersections or interior voids which will cause Autopo to either crash or take hours to complete and still the retopo will not be any good. Autopo loves clean meshes, plus still in Autopo there are some lingering bugs I believe.

I can work on 25 to 35 million voxel or surface mode models plus work higher than that up to 60 million but I would not as I still need ram for baking and working in the paint room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General rule of thumb there is, use larger brush sizes at lower voxel / surface resolution.  smaller and smaller brush radius as you increase resolution. 

The retopo room can handle only a lower polygon count retopo mesh without lagging.  3DC will warn you when you are pushing the limits which is 50,000 polygons. There have been request to optimize the retopo for higher polygon meshes.

Edited by digman
corrections