3DCoat Forums

[Solved] relax tool (brush), curve changed, cant figure out how.

Richard Cesar

Hello. I am using 4.8 and somehow in the middle of a retopology session, the curve on the relax setting for the brush tool changed
into something other then the standard exponential graded curve, and turned into something crisp and linear. Not what I want. However 
i cant see anything in the tooltip or whereabouts that lets me change that, and I don't know how I flipped it to this in the first place. The result
of this however is that I cannot use the relax brush, probably the most important tool in the retopo. Any idea how I can fix this I would gladly
appreciate. Thanks!

• Reputable Contributor

This might not be the answer but could be. 

It is possible that you somehow changed the  Snapping method to be used. It affects the relax brush as well.

The second red arrow in the picture points to the spot to change your settings.  The first setting has the more falloff curve and not linear you talked about. The other 2 settings  are snap to closest along normal and the other one snap to nearest point.  

The first arrow points to keep bounds while smoothing and does what it says. This has less effect that the last two settings in the snapping method settings.

relax.PNG

Edited by digman

Hmm, my setting were originally snap to nearest, but none of the changes did anything. To get a better picture of what
I am talking about, here is a picture of me shift clicking the brush (relax mode). Note the curve in the center of it is not
a curve like it should be, its a plateau like curve, and scaling it up and down simply scales the problem. I want the standard
normal smooth curve back.

problem.PNG

This is really driving me nuts. Is there a way to reset all brush settings? Is this a brush setting? Ive tried googling this
every which way and can't even find a proper term for that curve. Watched several tutorials, and every time I see them use the relax brush,
its a nice smooth curve, not a plateue. I cannot make proper selections this way. I don't see them mention there even being a way to change it.
I can't find a way to change it. But I am not getting a smooth curve. I am getting an unusable curve for my purpose.
I have restarted the application and reloaded the file and the problem remains. Any idea that can make this program usable again would
be great.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] relax tool (brush), curve changed, cant figure out how.