3DCoat Forums

Sadly you lost me

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

As the title say,.. Sadly you lost this sale even at discount, I was all into signing up for Pro (Don't like the 2k limit) till I got to the payment

page and see with all the leech's adding on it was $414 for me here in NZ would buy the Hobbyist version at a 4k limit but not 2k sorry

• Reputable Contributor

What do you mean "Leech's adding on it"...? If you are talking about VAT's and such, what does that have to do with Pilgway? They aren't adding anything, themselves. What something costs in the US and what it may cost in the EU or Australia/NZ isn't up to them. Why come to the forum and fuss at them for something they have no control over (ie., currency exchange rates)?

• Like 1

• Contributor

Buying the license through Steam is another option for you to consider , as very correctly AbnRanger says , Pilgway has nothing to do with currency exchange rates , VAT , or any other extra , they just provide the software with a nice price tag.

BUT on the other hand i understand your frustration and thats why i pointed out the Steam alternative.

• Reputable Contributor
28 minutes ago, Michaelgdrs said:

Buying the license through Steam is another option for you to consider , as very correctly AbnRanger says , Pilgway has nothing to do with currency exchange rates , VAT , or any other extra , they just provide the software with a nice price tag.

BUT on the other hand i understand your frustration and thats why i pointed out the Steam alternative.

He's angry at Pilgway because the Christmas sale price is listed in US dollars. It's not the same currency rate as New Zealand's. He's also angry that NZ probably charges some form of tax. I live in one of the lowest tax states in the US and I still have to pay a sales tax for every software purchase I may make. That's life, folks.

$280 USD is $411 in New Zealand dollars. It is what it is. Some software I see, is posted in Euros, so I know I have to check the exchange rate to see what it will cost me in US dollars. 

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yeah , same here with the currency's , thats why i pointed out Steam to him , as for me and for all steam purchases so far VAT was not charged (bought 3 softs but so far i think i was not charged something extra , i pay in USD in steam if this makes a difference).  

• Like 1

Kia ora

You miss understand me completely, I am NOT angry at Pilgway  at all I was merely stating for their into that the exchange rates and tax's add to near double the advertised price

negated their sale, by leech's I mean  those that touch it through out the process adding tax's and other costs. I was jus rather miffed at the fact that the US price even with the exchange rate and tax;s added so much to the price. It is NOT I say again it is NOT Pilgway  fault theres so much middle man greed in a lot of these deal, 15.5 percent to the Gov for doing NOTHING but dipping their hand in the pie for example

On 09/01/2018 at 2:22 PM, Falconius said:

Given it's features, and the prices typically charged by its peer products, I think the price, even without a discount, is very competitive.  I'm really not sure why you see it as unreasonable.

For something with a feature set like 3D Coat I would say that it is stupidly cheap. A couple of times I've wanted to write to Andrew and ask why he doesn't charge more, or do some kind of subscription licensing.

I'd personally be happy to pay more overall through a subscription, especially if it meant that he could employ more people and it resulted in a more stable product (no hate meant, but I've definitely encountered my share of insatiability using 3D Coat).

I suppose as a business you then have the problem of churn, but I notice that most other software (Zbrush, Substance, Photoshop etc.) have a subscription option. It can also be mitigated by having minimum term (like Photoshop).

Edited by lewis2e

• Reputable Contributor
On 1/9/2018 at 5:02 PM, Kiwi-Hawk said:

Kia ora

You miss understand me completely, I am NOT angry at Pilgway  at all I was merely stating for their into that the exchange rates and tax's add to near double the advertised price

negated their sale, by leech's I mean  those that touch it through out the process adding tax's and other costs. I was jus rather miffed at the fact that the US price even with the exchange rate and tax;s added so much to the price. It is NOT I say again it is NOT Pilgway  fault theres so much middle man greed in a lot of these deal, 15.5 percent to the Gov for doing NOTHING but dipping their hand in the pie for example

I bought a license of VRay for Modo over a year ago, during a "Christmas/Holiday Sale" and got hit with not only 10% sales tax, but my bank charged me an overseas transfer fee ($50), too...so no, it didn't seem like much of a sale, but it wasn't Chaos Group's fault. It would have been much worse without the sale.

You also have to get it out of your head that the USD is much cheaper than NZ. Maybe it is. Maybe not, but all global products would/will be subject to the currency differential. Just because I see software that might be listed as 200 Euros, I know that does not = 200 USD. It's probably more like $250 USD. It is what it is.

• Reputable Contributor
21 hours ago, lewis2e said:

For something with a feature set like 3D Coat I would say that it is stupidly cheap. A couple of times I've wanted to write to Andrew and ask why he doesn't charge more, or do some kind of subscription licensing.

I'd personally be happy to pay more overall through a subscription, especially if it meant that he could employ more people and it resulted in a more stable product (no hate meant, but I've definitely encountered my share of insatiability using 3D Coat).

I suppose as a business you then have the problem of churn, but I notice that most other software (Zbrush, Substance, Photoshop etc.) have a subscription option. It can also be mitigated by having minimum term (like Photoshop).

I asked about that a while back and it's not a sustainable business model for a company of their size. BTW, I could be wrong, but I don't believe ZBrush has a Subscription model, either, and they are a much larger company.

3 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I asked about that a while back and it's not a sustainable business model for a company of their size. BTW, I could be wrong, but I don't believe ZBrush has a Subscription model, either, and they are a much larger company.

@AbnRanger Yep - you are right. My mistake. I thought zBrush Core was subscription, but it isn't.

Edited by lewis2e