3DCoat Forums

Issues with autopo

Papergami45

I'm having some issues with autopo in 3dcoat. I have a complex 3D mesh that I obtained with photogrammetry. It's very high poly and needs reducing, and is one sided mesh, almost like a very complex plane. When I use autopo on the object, it goes through all of the stages it should, loads for a minute or two, and then nothing changes. There is an added object to the retopo objects, but I can't seem to use it or drag it into the scene, I just see my extremely high poly model. The mesh looks identical, and I'm put onto the strokes tool? Why is this happening?

15 minutes ago, Tony Nemo said:

I think you need some thickness as 3DC doesn't deal will without thickness which you can add in the Sculpt mode.

I added thickness using solidify in blender, tried again, no luck. After I apply autopo, the object doesn't change and I can't change it. A retopo object is created, but I have no idea how to view it instead of the original object.

8 minutes ago, houGenie said:

You can view it when you go to retopo room. The model in sculpt room is displayed beside the retopo mesh in retopo room. So you can hide it in the VoxTree with the eye symbol. The VoxTree can be found in windows -> popups in the menu. Hope it helps.

The retopo object doesn't appear to exist. In retopo room or sculpt room, hiding the original model does just that - hide the original model, with unchanged topology. There's nothing else in the scene. The only mention that I've retopologised is under the retopo objects tab next to the voxtree in retopo room, it displays the name of the retopologised object. That is it.

4 minutes ago, Papergami45 said:

The retopo object doesn't appear to exist. In retopo room or sculpt room, hiding the original model does just that - hide the original model, with unchanged topology. There's nothing else in the scene. The only mention that I've retopologised is under the retopo objects tab next to the voxtree in retopo room, it displays the name of the retopologised object. That is it.

This is very frustrating especially as it appears to be working with other models made in 3D coat, just not this one, which is an obj file.

• Reputable Contributor

Auto-Retopo is really not the tool to use on one-sided meshes. I won't work with other Auto-Retopo tools in other apps, either. You need to use either the manual Retopo tools or use a Retopo Mesh preset (Retopo Models pallet)...ie. simple square patch. Uncheck Auto-Snap in the Toolbar (above the viewport) > use the BRUSH tool to roughly shape it to match the shape of the High Poly sculpt > Click SNAP in the COMMANDS section of the Tool Panel, to snap it to the High Poly sculpt. 

• Reputable Contributor

It is possible to autopo in 3DC complex objects with no thickness if you give some inner thickness when importing.  Like Abnranger said,  the mesh must have thickness. I know you tried thickness, so it is a FYI for others. You have possible other errors in your mesh. I do not have access to your mesh so I do not know what errors it could contain.

Any autoretopo routine not just 3DC autopo routine requires a clean mesh. If there are errors in the mesh the autopo routine can fail or cause the software to crash. 

No mesh yet I have I found to be clean exporting from photogrammetry software. The cleaning I prefer to start externally outside 3DC.  Meshmixer if not too dirty but Meshlab if real dirty.

Import into 3DC, I clone the mesh and turn that mesh into voxels then resample down. Here I am looking for major and medium form. I do not need the fine details. 

I hide the original model too, saving it for the high detail model for baking.

Run fill voids and close invisible hulls, hull closing might not be necessary but if the routine fails, then run it too. It can cause some artifacts in the mesh to clean up. 

After I have created the retopo mesh. I hide the lower in voxel count model and unhide the original for baking.

The above is not really a tutorial as the many in and outs of repairing a mesh for autopo in any software is too detailed to type. There are just too many type of errors and obstacles to overcome.

I understand your frustration but photogrammetry and scanned data mesh is not easy work... Takes some practice and patience in cleaning the model and getting it ready for any autopo routine, not just 3DC.

Side Note... I deleted the backside polygons as they were not needed after the autopo routine ran. Now this is not what I call a complex model but the  above principles are the same. This model would have been easy to hand retopo with a lot less polygons.

The below shows the bake model with normal map at 3,700 polygons. 

The other picture with a single model is 120 polygons hand done retopoing with the photoscan texture material and normal map.

finish.PNG

120quads.jpg

Edited by digman
More info
  • Like 1