3DCoat Forums

Seperating paint objects question

Baelein

Go to solution Solved by houGenie,

Hello,

I'm relatively new to 3d coat but my youtube research hadn't found a solution. In my workflow, I'll generally create and sometimes uv a mesh in maya and bring it into a program like 3d coat or substance painter for texturing. The 3d coat habit I've picked up has me separate different components from the mesh during the modeling process so I can use the 3d coat fill tool to just paint that component instead of the whole object. My question is, can I take that another step further and get 3d coat to see those separate components as different paint objects so I can hide them if I need to paint behind them?

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

In Maya just give the model different Material to the parts you want isolated (name them as to help you in 3dc Mat_wing) . they should come up in the Paint Room with   Surface Material > then just turn them on /off.  Or use paint bucket tool that will also have surface mat. Hope it is what your asking about.

• Advanced Member
  • Solution
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

houGenie was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

When you have different parts in maya (multiple mesh parts) then they are seperated in 3d coat when you use obj format. in the voxtree or retopo objects you can than hide the individual parts.