3DCoat Forums

Video on modeling an auto on Youtube

kenmo

• Advanced Member

I watched this video on youtube last night on modeling an automobile from scratch in 3DC. And IMHO it is the most useful video I've watched to date on 3DCoat when it comes to hard surfaces.

Modeling a spaceship or raygun IMHO is not the same thing as modeling a car.

And I'm not knocking  other 3DC videos as they are many of fantastic and helpful ones on youtube. But so few of cars.

Sadly the author of this video does not do audio, I suspect it is probably due to an English language issue...

• Reputable Contributor

I tried talking Andrew into adding a Spline Deformer mode for the Pose tool, where the user could use the Spline Draw modes in the E-Panel to create splines on a model > adjust the gradient per point interactively and use the Transform Gizmo to deform the mesh via the spline points. That would make it a lot easier to model the nuanced shapes in automobiles. It's a little too hard to do that now.

One could do it if he would add Soft/Gradient selection in the Retopo Room, because that and a BRIDGE tool would make it very close to a full blown poly-modeling toolset. It's too hard to do, now, without some kind of gradient selection.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Thanks kindly. Appreciate the reply... Hopefully more users of 3DC will take an interest in modeling automobiles, trucks, trains, etc...

• Advanced Member

Watching this video motivated me to give it a try.

I thought it maybe wise to take a break from Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop processing photos...

Well here is my very humble effort to sculpt an hot rodded  1930s sedan... Just going from my memory of a what a mid to late 1930s sedan body looks like...No reference used. 

Not sure if I will ever finish this but just wanted some practice time...and to play around in 3DC...

HotRod001.JPG

HotRod002.JPG

HotRod003.JPG