3DCoat Forums

Painting question

arumiat

• Advanced Member

Hi guys,

I have some beautiful scan data. The problem is the colour is off compared to the real thing. If I wanted to try and apply  a more 'correct' colour without losing all the nice preexisting details / subtleties, is there a way to do this in 3DC using layers and different layer blend modes?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Is currently this:

liv.thumb.PNG.fee54fba7c51d69f2a05d8af8af009e6.PNG

Needs to be closer to this:

this.PNG.6d76508df31e1030c7022d19775edb5a.PNG

Use the Color Operations Tool.  In the "E" panel set the stroke mode to Rectangle and turn off "Ignore Backfaces".  Adjust "Hue Shift" at the top of there UI as required, 1000% showed a lot of change for me.  Use a combination of Saturate and Increase Hue and repeat drawing the selection rectangle around the whole model until you get the results you like.

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 6.53.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 6.54.14 PM.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I believe you are using the scan textures. 

The below is a quick method and you can experiment around all you like.

Under the view menu set your your Panorama to Greyscale to neturalize your scene lighting so no color casting is effecting your judgement of colors used.

1. Create a new layer above the scan texture layer and set it to the blending model "Color" Fill this layer with just a grey plain color----- 50% midtone gray.  HSL... or RGB 128 in the Color palette.

This will neuturalize your color but leave all the details.  This is more or less what the some of the old artist would do, lay now the founation for values using grayscale color, then start adding their colors.

2.  Next layer created is your Overlay blending mode. Have the preview window open over the model and choose the lightness- darkness of the red you desire. 

3. I used a multiply layer for some blue but another blending mode could have be used. 

All the other tools mentioned in the thread or good too for adjusting stuff plus your external editor can be used as well.  Last image is after I used the levels adjustment in Photoshop on the overlay layer. I needed for red overall tone. I invoked Photoshop, did the work, saved and 3DC was updated right away. Maybe a little to red now, a cross between the two somewhere. 

Now you got a base, experiment with all the blending modes, tools and have fun.

Yikes it is very late here... :rolleyes:

red.jpg

sample.PNG

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

You're genius D.

Original w color

a1.thumb.PNG.775e434e6ede344319d45ba61efa7a91.PNG

Here is the effect with the grey fill layer - beautiful! - removes all color but leaves detail:

a2.thumb.PNG.f1d5b218c3f98871213a0096413e8ed8.PNG

Here is with an overlay layer set to 200% and a color taken from a reference image. It's already very nice & closer to what I was wanting :):):)

a3.thumb.PNG.c51ee26d01bca85685d7e30376082906.PNG

I have a question though. This region below is much paler than the rest of the organ:

a4.thumb.png.d922b685cb0f95368332e2acd743cd8a.png

It's a subtle difference with the original scan color but much more noticeable for when it's red. I think this is because the original scan contains  colour information / isn't delighted. Do you have any tips for how I can even out the colour across these regions? I tried adding a second overlay layer and painting by hand, but the paler regions wouldn't really come up to the same colour as the darker regions. Is there another layer blend type you'd recommend, or some other technique?

Thanks again! You've brought me so much closer to the goal :D

Edited by arumiat

• Advanced Member

I managed to solve acceptably the above issue (a more even colour) using the fill tool and setting the layer to LinearLight:

a5.thumb.PNG.3f970ac5ca37b4b0f5c5009d5c1d3175.PNG

The thing I'd like to do now is to lighten some of the darker regions, which again aren't so noticeable on the original scan color, but are very noticeable with the changes I made. How would you attempt this?

a6.PNG.9e64994fbc01a8d356926f61a7e35be3.PNG

a7.PNG.3d142b5dbf3201ac58b8c6537d229c1f.PNG

• Reputable Contributor

A method: This kind can be done first in the future when you know that the image is not a delighted scan texture. Some of the glare too is from the scene lighting. To get a good idea of what the highlights really look like, View Menu--- Flat Shade. This removes all scene lighting more or less what you would see in Photoshop. You can return to Smooth lighting for working.

You are going to work on the grayscale layer to get rid of the highlighted areas.

For now. Make a duplicate layer of your original scan texture layer in case you do no like the outcome. Hide this layer. All the other layers can be left as is. 

1: Merge the greyscale color layer to the original scan texture's layer. This gives you a layer set at standard mode but gray in color with all the details still.

2: Position the model so you got a good view of the highlights on the model.

3: EDIT menu  -------   Edit projections in external editor. This method will project the current view, not the flat uv set. You might have to turn the model some and re-project again.

4. In Photoshop use the Burn tool set very low in the exposure setting. Range setting, Use Highlight first and then Shadow. Skip midtones.  I found midtones in this case not needed.

I recommend here the Photoshop burn tool as it has the Range settings of Highlights, Midtones and Shadows.

Settings in number 4, you will need to play around with and experiment till you hit that sweet spot.

Important: Make sure when in photoshop you turn off the lighting layer and all other layers except the grayscale layer you are working on. Turn back on when done working.

Save and return to 3DC. Now you have a more even lighted textures on the model and will not have that blown out highlight to worry about anymore.

All the above is in 3DC  workflows and not using a external program first to delight. You now do not need to use Linear light to try and solve the highlight problem. Delete the linear light layer. Some blending modes really darken the dark areas.

The blown out area also had less detail because of the photo when it was taken. You could in Photoshop, grab a few parts of the texture and on a lower opacity and clone in a few  areas to add some detail back. I did not do this in the image I am showing you.

There is a way in 3DC but it does not use the clone tool. 

So much to experiment with, We have tons of tools and methods to get the final look. Have fun and sometime time you like to meet on Skype, let me know..

Side Note.  Also load your reference image into the little color palette. move the cursor around the image and see what tones are there, I notices some purple reds, slight yellows in the one you shown  in the post here. These can be hand painted in using various alpha styles to add some more realism. The little palette when using it there is no need to press ok to get the color, You get the color in real time added to the brush. 

EDIT: I put file menu instead of Edit menu, post now corrected.

fixed.jpg

little palette.PNG

Edited by digman
More information
  • Thanks 1