3DCoat Forums

import low poly - sculpt - bake

Ruud

Hello everyone,

I have a workflow question. At my job we are creating characters for real-time-display in an app. At this point i've made them by building the mesh in MayaLT with SubD modeling and do the unwrapping and texturing in 3DCoat (see image). Since a few days our mobile engine supports Normal Maps and i want to use its maximum potential instead of only painting some details with depth.

Does 3DCoat support a polygon workflow where i import a "base-mesh", sculpt the polys to my liking, texture the highpoly? and then bake the texture to the low-poly? 

And let's say i import my base-mesh of ±10K poly, does a subdivide (if possible) also smooth the object a bit. I've seen this workflow in a different program but i want to stick to 3DCoat.

Thanks for your time!

Grtz Ruud 

character.jpg

Thanks Tony and Carlosan! One thing that I'm trying to wrap my head around is: if i import my low-obj into the sculpt room and add details like folds, is it better then to "bake-texture" to external file. Or load the same obj into the retopo room and "Bake w/Normal map (per pixel).

What i've seen from the pillar video above is a manual retopo that covers the sculpt-object quite nicely. If i would import my obj to the sculptroom and use the same obj for retopo, then adding folds to my sculpt would probably stick them through the retopo mesh (see image) and the bake with normal process will probably be incorrect or should i increase the outside scan depth to solve this issue (see image)? I hope this makes sense :p: 

Thank you!

retoporoom-1.JPG

retoporoom-2.JPG

• Contributor

Adding details to your figure is easy. In Sculpt, use the Move, Transform or Pose tool to see if your Retopo mesh shows. If not the geometry menu has a "Retopo mesh to sculpt" command. In sculpt, any changes will conform the mesh to additions made with the 3 tools but minor stuff like 'folds' will be captured with the bake tools.

Thanks for your reply Tony! I didn't know about that function. Do i need to press "update" to make the additions visible. When i use the draw-tool in the sculpt room for example, my retopo-object stays the same (see image).

Grtz,

Ruud

3dcoat.jpg

• Contributor

The only changes that big must be  using the move tool to get an auto update to the mesh.  Switch to Move, Transform or Pose to see if the mesh will change.

Smaller (realistic) modifications can be captured when Baking.

Edited by Tony Nemo

Hey Tony, it's working. I just noticed when i select Move, Transform or Pose in the sculptroom, a checkbox called "Conform Retopo Mesh" becomes visible and when i check it the retopo mesh becomes visible and follows my alterations.

Thanks for your time!

conform_retopo_mesh.JPG