3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Problem painting in some areas with smart materials.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question.  I wonder if there should be a place for new users learning to use the application and are getting stuck on specific methods.  

My question: 

Why can't I paint on some parts of a model after making an ambient occlusion layer?  

When using some materials, 3D-coat needs to calculate and create an ambient occlusion layer, and a curvature layer. Fine. I don't necessarily understand why it needs to make these for me to use the texture, but that's not really the problem.  The problem is that in the areas that it is darkened with AO, I am unable to paint that texture.  Why is that the case?   And, how can turn off the ambient layer and paint into those empty areas?  

Here you can see that there is a place on this model that has an empty place that can't be painted on, and from what I can tell it's all the areas that are darkened with AO.  Maybe there's a different reason?  Because of piece overlaying? What am I doing wrong? Any help very welcome. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 9.04.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 9.07.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 9.10.43 PM.png

No, it isnt.

Try to bake AO on Paint room, avoid to bake on retopo room.

And try to change the unwrapping , You can specify which unwrapping algorithm you wish to use. There is LSCM unwrapping, ABF++ unwrapping and 3D-Coat’s proprietary GUUV unwrapping method (Globally Uniform). I see some overlapped faces here and there.

Hope this help

AO.jpg

AO2.jpg

unwrap.jpg

overlapped.jpg

• Like 1

SOLVED!  

I believe the problem was that I didn’t check-box the 'Separate Paint Objects' when I originally backed the ambient occlusion layer.  

With the new AO layer, I can now paint into those empty areas.   Note, those empty areas I was attempting to paint to before didn’t have mesh face overlap.  

But, thank you for noticing the overlap problem of one of the islands. I selected that island and chose LSCM, and that did the trick.  

All fixed!  Thank you! 

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 11.38.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 11.38.33 AM.png

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Problem painting in some areas with smart materials.