3DCoat Forums

[Solved] "out of memory" exception when opening file

• Advanced Member

I have trouble opening a file. Since some days I am getting "out of memory" exceptions during the load of the file.

Memory used at the time of the crash with the DX version:  13.5 GB of 24 GB total available to the system

VRAM used at the time of crash: 1.7 GB of 3.5 GB effective on the Video card

Virtual Memory has been increased increased to 300 GB total (100 GB on

D: / 200 GB on H:)

Disk space free is:

32 GB on C:

49 GB on D:

1.7 TB on H:

Trying to open the file in the GL version resulted in a similar crash.

Only difference is that VRAM usage is at 2.4 GB at the time of crash.

Hardware used:

CPU: i7 970 (6C/12T)

GPU: GTX 970 (3.5GB VRAM)

Memory: 24 GB DDR3

Disk: 250 GB C: / 500 GB D: / 3 TB H:

Measurements taken with GPU-Z on the VRAM side

Doesn't sound like 3D Coat really is out of memory at the time of the

crash.

I had trouble with frequent "out of memory" exceptions while having the

file open prior to the file becoming nonworking. At that time the Disk

space was low, until I cleaned out some old junk to make room. At the

time I thought the problem was that the 3D Coat Undo file was failing to

write the history steps, given I was limited then to a single Undo step.

What I haven't tried yet is to download and open the file in 4.8 .... because the page was down in the morning.

Besides that, I have a GTX 1070 in my gaming rig that I can swap in to see if its a VRAM issue (given that card has more than double the effective  VRAM)... but as that is quite some work, I'd like to verify first that a VRAM size issue is plausible.

Given the readings of the VRAM used at the time of the crash, is it possible that either GPU-Z was not reaporting the VRAM usage correctly, or that the reading was before 3D coat was trying to get a huge chunk of VRAM?

Also, given that there is still unused Memory at the time of the crash, and I should have plenty of virtual memory, can I be completly sure its not a limitation with the amount of RAM in the system?

If needed, I can provide a crash report. Didn't wanted to attach it to the Thread for privacy reasons, given it shows quite a bit about the files on my local drives. Should I send an official crash report once I have exhausted all my options (newest 3D Coat version tried, bigger VRAM size tried), or reach out to Andrew directly?

• Advanced Member

So I am back with results:

Installed 3D Coat Version 4.8.10, ran the DX Build, tried to open the same file. Same Result.

Installed the GTX 1070 of the gaming rig in my work rig, tried opening the file again in V4.8.10 - same Result, still an "out of memory" exception even though only around 1.8 GB of VRAM used is reported by GPU-Z at the time of failure. Given we are talking about 8 GB of VRAM now, I guess we can rule out VRAM being to low.

I will send Andrew an E-Mail with a link to this thread, the Dump and a download link to the file

just noticed the filesize: almost 5 GB Filesize. I am guessing something is not right here, given the Voxelsculpt was just around the 1 GB marker last time I checked. Something must have gone wrong here.

What I did afterwards was just creating a retopo mesh, baking, deleting the baked mesh and layers, tweaking the retopo mesh, rinse and repeat for maybe 10 or 15 times, until I was satisfied. Then I started painting. Around that time the "out of disk space" errors started hitting, and Undo history was going wonky.

Is baking and then deleting the objects and layers leaving something back in the file? Could that have caused the filesize to grow to 5x the size of the voxelsculpt alone? I guess just the retopo mesh, UV Sets, and paintin layers cannot be 4 GB in size, right?

• Advanced Member

Got a reply from Andrew. He was able to recover parts of the file.

More importantly he was able to pinpoint what was the issue:

1) Part of the file was corrupted... probably due to not having enough disk space at the time.

2) The large size (which in turn caused number 1 to be a problem) was caused by me flood filling paint layers, not knowing that the voxel sculpt in the background would be also filled via vertex colors. And as I had quite a large Voxel sculpt in the Voxel Room, with many vertices to fill, that caused a lot of additional data to be written.

So take away for 3D Coat users is:

1) never flood fill the whole layers

or

2) keep your baked meshes you paint in a separate file to your voxel sculpt to avoid filling the sculpts vertices with vertex colors.

Edited by Gian-Reto
  • Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] "out of memory" exception when opening file
  • Reputable Contributor

I do not think, "1" really is a option... 

I find it strange that a sculpt room surface object would be filled with vertex colors, when you are just filling a low-polygon paint room mesh with pixel information..

That vertex color information is not displayed in the sculpt room and doing it in the background when filling a low-polygon paint room mesh, ouch...

This is not very efficient and costly on memory, the double filling. 

You had not filled the sculpt room surface mode object with any vertex color information (vertex painting) prior to baking the model to the paint room. Sorry for the question but got to ask, so I am really clear on this.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member
On 23.2.2018 at 4:22 AM, digman said:

I do not think, "1" really is a option... 

I find it strange that a sculpt room surface object would be filled with vertex colors, when you are just filling a low-polygon paint room mesh with pixel information..

That vertex color information is not displayed in the sculpt room and doing it in the background when filling a low-polygon paint room mesh, ouch...

This is not very efficient and costly on memory, the double filling. 

You had not filled the sculpt room surface mode object with any vertex color information (vertex painting) prior to baking the model to the paint room. Sorry for the question but got to ask, so I am really clear on this.

This is actually something I have noticed before... 3D Coat, at least up to Version 4.7.32, does fill voxel sculpts with colors if you floodfill a per pixel paint layer... Actually, sometimes even the airbrushed on paint ends up there. I never really paid that much attention to it, I didn't think about it as blowing up the filesize this much... probably didn't use floodfilling all that much before.

The sculpt room objects where not filled with any vertex color information before baking and starting painting...

Also, it usually transforms my voxel objects to surface mode, probably linked to transferring the colors to vertex colors.

I guess this is just the normal behaviour when you do not switch off voxel objects in the paint room, like @Carlosan suggested. And while I am not sure why I cannot prevent the tool from transferring the color data or switching my voxel objects to surface mode without hiding them, its not the end of the world.