3DCoat Forums

Old Benchplane [wip]

Maximus3D

• Advanced Member

My latest wip, and i repost it here as i'm gonna use 3D-Coat's texturing capabilities for this model i'm working on. All the modeling and UV mapping will i do with Modo 302, and when all that's done i'll start texturing all individual meshes in 3DC and then after that i export them out to Cinema4D where i setup the scene, toss in some lights, create materials and finally i'll be rendering this baby with Maxwell. :)

Reference photo

bench%20plane.jpg

Modeling wip #1

f_BenchplaneWm_8aec0cc.jpg

More to come soon.. stay tuned!

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

I'm adding more details to the model such as the springplane below the cuttingblade on the front and the main adjusterscrew on the back of the tool. Highlighted meshes in the first screenshot shows what i've done in tonight's update. And the closeup of the adjusterscrew shows more of the detail.

Highlighted models have been added.

f_BenchplaneWm_4d5dcba.jpg

Closeup of adjusterscrew parts, this area is not yet complete. More work will be done to it asap.

f_BenchplaneWm_bde4c08.jpg

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

A latenight update, more stuff i worked on. Mainly in the adjusterscrew area as can be seen on the screenshots below.

Highlighted parts are new.

f_BenchplaneWm_46b5e18.jpg

Closeup shot of the entire adjusterscrew area, this still needs some more work and finetuning.

f_BenchplaneWm_cd1956d.jpg

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew :) glad you like it so far. Once i get to the texturepainting part of this it'll get alot more interesting as i will do it with 3D-Coat.

I have a smaller update to share tonight, the highlighted meshes are the one's i worked on and also updated. And i started roughing out the shape of the main handle, it should be finished soon but i'll be posting it tomorrow. Thanks for looking! :)

f_BenchplaneWm_ce26e7d.jpg

f_BenchplaneWm_b7181b9.jpg

/ Magnus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I thought it's about time i try to revive this old wip model of mine, the benchplane wants to get finished and i'm now gonna do it. :) so i finished the handle which you can see in the images below and i'm this afternoon gonna resume work on parts i think needs to be rebuilt, mainly in the area around the adjusterscrew where i'm not quite satisfied with the look of things.

planhyvelwip3.jpg

planhyvelwip2.jpg

planhyvelwip1.jpg

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

Nice work, reminds me of being little and doing wood work with my dad :)

This is going to sound very picky but the way the stock is screwed down onto the sole looks somewhat odd surely there wouldnt be enough depth for the screws to gain purchase

I've never seen a plane screwed together in such a way usually they are made from castings. or atleast anything i've ever seen. I only say because i saw them and they instantly stood out as looking out of place. Usually the stock would have a long center pin running down its full length and into a thickened part of the sole

planing-example.gif

Otherwise its really very nice :)