3DCoat Forums

Retopo reference mesh change shader

Imconected

Hi there.

How I change the color or shader type on my reference mesh while I'm doing retopo ? As retopo sometimes takes quite a few days, when I re open the scene, the shader color on my ref mesh goes back to it's default gray tone. How I change the shader in an on going re-topology session ?

Sincerely,

Alvaro

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Imconected said:

Hi there.

How I change the color or shader type on my reference mesh while I'm doing retopo ? As retopo sometimes takes quite a few days, when I re open the scene, the shader color on my ref mesh goes back to it's default gray tone. How I change the shader in an on going re-topology session ?

Sincerely,

Alvaro

You'll have to email Andrew (support@3DCoat.com) and request that feature. He added a panel, a long time ago, to change the colors 3D Coat picks from, but for some inexplicable reason, he didn't add the option for the user to change the color of the selected mesh/layer, themselves. 3D Coat still randomly assigns colors from that group of swatches.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2016 at 4:13 AM, TimmyZDesign said:

To change the reference mesh color:

Step 1: Go to the Sculpt Room.

2. Pick a different shader with a color that you prefer.

3. Or if none of the default shaders are ok, then you can create a new shader with any color you like. Simply right-click on any shader and choose "Construct New Shader".

4. Give the new shader a name.

5. Change the colors to whatever you want.

6. Now you have a new shader in the Shader Panel.

7. Apply the shader to your reference mesh and return to the Retopo Room.

8. Just for clarification, all you really need to access is the Shader Panel (which is available from the Windows menu). The Sculpt Room has the Shader Panel open by default, so it is slightly easier to just go there for quick access (instead of opening the Shader Panel in the Retopo Room).

Are this steps working for you ?

• Contributor

@Imconected, I bet you chose Perform Retopology from the startup dialog window?

The trick is to never use it and import your reference model directly into Sculpt Room without voxelization (well with or without, it's case-dependant). This way you not only can easily change shader of individual reference objects, but also hide different parts of it which is invaluable during retopo process.

• Contributor
56 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Referring back to the original post, I thought he was referring to the RETOPO MESH color, not the Sculpt Object (High Poly/Voxel mesh). Sorry for the misunderstanding. Carlos and AJZ are correct. 

Retopo mesh colour palette can be hacked with retopo.aco file put in the root of 3D Coat user config directory (%USERPROFILE%\Documents\3D-CoatV## on $hitdows).

This file for example features much less saturated colours than the original ones: retopo.aco

• Reputable Contributor
14 minutes ago, ajz3d said:

Retopo mesh colour palette can be hacked with retopo.aco file put in the root of 3D Coat user config directory (%USERPROFILE%\Documents\3D-CoatV## on $hitdows).

This file for example features much less saturated colours than the original ones: retopo.aco

Yes, I appreciate the one you created. I thought he, like others who have asked before, was wanting to manually change the color of the RETOPO mesh, individually. I am not aware of any way to do that. I thought Andrew would add the ability to pick from that group of color swatches, but he didn't, AFAIK.