3DCoat Forums

Autopo density painting has no effect at all

DeadClown

Hi everyone,

I've been trying the demo for several days now and I'm especially interested in the auto retopology feature. However I can't seem to be able to make the density painting do anything - at all. I have tried all sorts of multipliers, all sorts of black levels, all sorts of polycounts, nothing. Meshes are identical. I have also tried different 3D coat versions, starting from some 4.5 version. I have also not found a single video where I can see that this feature actually does something.
Furthermore I'm quite surprised that there is not much to be found about this in the forums. There is someone complaining about it in the 4.8 beta thread but that's more or less it.
Is there something I can do, is there something I'm doing wrong or is it just broken?

My employer is currently building a photogrammetry division and we're trying all sorts of tools for retopology and cleanup. Since my brain doesn't work well with zbrush, 3d Coat is my preferred choice. The missing density variability however makes it hard to justify that in front of my superiors.

Thanks for any help.

• Reputable Contributor

I have many times in the beta thread mentioned the Painting Density not working. I also sent the development team an e-mail. This feature does not work correctly. Maybe every once in awhile, it will work but not generally. 

I suggest write to support explaining the crucial need for this very important feature to work as stated. 

You may add my fourm name in the e-mail confirming this problem. 

I am having a similar problem. I have seen the documentation and you are supposedly able to paint areas on the model that have increased density after autopo, but my brush simply will not leave any marks on the surface. This in turn means, density control simply does not work.

• Advanced Member

Not sure if this helps, but I'm pretty sure density control has worked for me in the past (which doesn't mean it works in all cases and for everyone, of course.)

There might have been some caveat, like not adding too many control lines in those areas.

Edit:

Did a quick test: Note that 3D Coat struggles if there is no change in form and only shifts the topology around. Seems like it needs a form change to motivate changes in loop topology (and probably enough resolution as well).

3dcoat_density.jpg

3dcoat_density2.jpg

Edited by Findus

Andrew did reply on my email and I've been trying out what he suggested. It worked on a simple model (like in the screenshot he sent me (see below) or your models, findus) but not on my more complex one.
He's now looking at my scene. I'll let you know when I know more :)

andrewsScreenshot.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Version 4.8.13 beta.

I ran few test and yes it work this time as it is doing in beta version 4.8.13 but then can stop working as in your complex version.  I had this happen before, It works then stops working.

Andrew's test might be when it does work. I mentioned this in my e-mail and on the fourms.  A possible bug that rears it's ugly head at times. 

Yes please keep us updated with any real solutions from the development team.

Please can anyone try this ?

- Autoretopo a model

- Paint density areas

- Test several autoretopos using density modulator value from 1 to 5

- Result is the same, there is no change in density areas

There was a bug report closed as resolved, it can be a regression.

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Please can anyone try this ?

- Autoretopo a model

- Paint density areas

- Test several autoretopos using density modulator value from 1 to 5

- Result is the same, there is no change in density areas

There was a bug report closed as resolved, it can be a regression.

I would test but have many times with all kinds of models. Painting density is still buggy. This I have been bringing to the attention of the development team for a year.

Sometimes it will work, then just stop. A regression, a bug, a corruputed xml file. I sent the development team another e-mail today about it working then stopping to work. 

You might test 10 models and painting density will work, then later it just stops working. 

Another user might test 10 models and painting density does not work, then later starts to work. 

That happened to me today. Painting density has not worked for a long time. Now today when I tested it worked, go figure. I have recently deleted the options xml file and the 3DC temp folder under users. 

Clients of mine have said the same thing, others 3DC users, you have now. Hopefully the development team will dig deep and find the underlying cause. 

Edited by digman

Allright, Andrew had a look and figured out the problem. Here's what he wrote back to me:

Yes, figured out what happens. I will fix in nearest build (4.8.14), but even now you may force it to work correctly.
1) Go to Geometry->Edit scene scale, remember Scale value somewhere and set 1 there
2) Do AUTOPO
3) Restore Scale  value as you remembered to keep correct scene export scale.

Works as expected now :)

• Like 1