3DCoat Forums

[Solved] "The square of the UV set is too big ..."

Findus

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to import a mesh of a head  with many alpha planes for hair.

However I get the error message shown in the title and 3D Coat crashes if I attempt to import anyway.

No vertices are outside of the 0-1 square. Interestingly I can import the mesh if I delete either the hair or the head, so there should be nothing wrong with the mesh or uvs (and while the uvs of the alpha planes do overlap quite a bit or are identical in many places, they do not touch the uvs of the head.)
All faces share the same Mat ID and Material (which is a very simple one for testing purposes). Happens both with .obj and .fbx.

Unfortunately I can't share the mesh.

Any changes or bug fixes in this regard after 4.08.07?

Are there other known conditions that can lead to the triggering of the error message in question?

I've seen a couple of threads with the same problem, but no definite solution. A few of them used lots of alpha elements with (presumably) layered UVs as well, but that might be a coincidence.

Andrew 2011-04-12 20:14

This problems happens ofthen if model have random or incorrrect UV set.

So such models should be loaded with Auto-mapping and then get UV set correction.

To avoid such problem in future I made detection of incorrect UV sets.

In this case warning will be shown - "The square of UV set is too big.

It may mean that UV set is incorrect or tiled too much.

It may lead to long loading time or crash because of lack of memory.

We recommend you use auto-mapping and then use UV tools to create correct UV set."

• Advanced Member

Thanks, but the Uvs should be correct. I also checked for strays and outliers in W. The fact that exporting the same UVs in two parts succeeds hints to another cause as well and the tricount is well below 50 k. 

My guess would be that the number of UV islands or overlapping islands plays a role.

Edited by Findus

• Advanced Member

I assume it would import, since just the hair with all the overlaps imports as well, so maybe it's not the overlapping after all.

As for the problem at hand, I worked around it by splitting the import like described, so while I assume there is a bug, my current problem is resolved.

I'll do a test case with lots of islands in order to see if that's the problem.

Edited by Findus

Try this please

Paint room > import model for Per pixel painting

Import your model with  correct UVs, select No subdivisions, No Smoothing but Auto-mapping

Once the model is imported go to Textures and use the command Import UV > Import your model with correct UVs again

I did some tests and it could work.

ImportUV.jpg

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] "The square of the UV set is too big ..."
  • 2 years later...