3DCoat Forums

Import base mesh in retopo

Barracuda

Hello 

I have a question, if I started sculpting using a base mesh, can I after load it in the retopo room and shrink wrap it to the sculpted model and add details to it where needed? 

Thanks a lot 

Regards 

Ahmed Barakat 

Edited by Barracuda

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, that is a common workflow in 3D Coat. In fact, you may want to import your base mesh into the Retopo workspace first. Then you can go to the Sculpt workspace > GEOMETRY Menu > RETOPO MESH TO SCULPT MESH, or just use the import Tool in the Sculpt room (so you have some more options, if needed....such as subdividing a time or two before hitting the APPLY button.

Now, you have a copy in both workspaces (3D Coat keeps them separate), and if you make any large scale changes to the sculpt mesh, using tools like the Transform, Move or Pose tools, there is an option in the toolbar to COFORM RETOPO MESH.

• Like 1

Thanks for you reply very appreciated, unfortunately I didn't import my base mesh in the retopo room first, and I finished sculpting now, can I load the base mesh now in retopo and move it to sculpt room and conform, or is there is another workflow for it if you do it after you finished sculpting?

Regards 

• Reputable Contributor

You can just import it and 3D Coat will ask you if you want to SNAP it to the underlying voxel/surface mode object. Snapping can result in some areas that need fixing, from time to time. What happens is vertices that are up against an open edge or bunched together with other verts (like corners of the mouth, eyes, etc), may not have a nearby voxel surface to snap to and 3D Coat doesn't know where to place it. So, you might get some spikes. 

If you do, this might offer some tips on quickly cleaning the mesh up:

• Like 1