3DCoat Forums

Coil whine with 3D Coat DX Version

Spacetime

I've found something interesting. When it's very quiet i can hear coil whine from my graphic card (MSI GeForce GTX 1070). With 3D Coat DirectX Version it is clearly audible. With OpenGL Version not or extremely quiet. Tested with the same voxel object in 3D Coat.

What could be the reason?

Hi

On 1/30/2018 at 4:57 PM, Andy C said:

In games I've stopped this by limiting fps (using nvidia inspector for nvidia card) - the more fps the louder the coil whine, and human brain can't register 100s of fps.    I've just tried with and without limiter in 3d coat (limited to 60fps) and a 22 second render in one was still a 22 second render in the other, so as expected, I don't think it harms CUDA performance (though that was just a quick test; if doing heavy CUDA dependent tasks, it would be wise to check further).   my pc not having a very whiny day though, so I'm only pretty sure, rather than certain, that it reduced whine on rotating round a complex model. 

• Thanks 2

• Reputable Contributor

Happens in open GL too.

Thanks Carlosan for the reminder... I had installed some new Nvidia drivers a while ago. I had not kept any of my settings. Starting noticing some whine coil of the video card. Getting hotter thus running the fans faster. My GPU temp gauge climbing up. 

After reading the post, I went to my Nvidia settings and turn on (Vertical Sync). No more whine coil... :good2:

If I need more FPS in VR, I can always turn it off...

I enabled VSync in nvidia system control panel. Limited the framerate to 60 fps with 3DCoat GL fine, but not works with 3D Coat DX, still up to 600 fps.

By the way, I noticed that without Vsync DX 600 fps on average and OpenGL 300 fps. I think it works better with DX. That's why the coil whine is probably louder on DX.

Edited by Spacetime