3DCoat Forums

Specular view

• Advanced Member

Hello,

i must say that this is something i was not really need during past month and years now that PBR appears,

but honestly, many times i have been working on models that has not always needs metal on them,

and i noticed that sketchfab, marmoset, unity, unreal are always able to separates specular map and Metal map and compose with both of them.

And when i would like to import specular map into 3DC, the only choice i can find is to import it as Metalmap or glossiness.... not really adapted...

and strange thing on the side, 3dc can display Specular channel in the menu [7] but don't have explicit parameters on layers or things like that.

this is why i come to ask you a separated channel for specular :)

Thanks.

If you need PBR workflow, try Gloss / colorspecular.

For specular/gloss workflow, both the dielectric F0 and metal reflectance values are placed in the specular map.

But if you need to work with the previous texture method I advise you to use the previous version 4.5.
You can install both versions without conflicts.

Gloss colorspecular.jpg

Texture Conversion: Metalness -> Specular

Converting to the specular workflow from the metalness workflow is easy as well. We simply need to split the diffuse and specular information from the albedo map into explicit diffuse and specular textures.

metaltospec01.jpg

Diffuse Map

1. Load your albedo map into Photoshop
  2. Create a new fill layer that is black (#000000)
  3. Paste your metalness map into the layer mask of your fill layer
Specular Map

1. Make a duplicate of the original albedo map and move it above the fill layer
  2. Create another fill layer with a value of #383838
  3. Paste your metalness map into the layer mask of your fill layer
  4. Invert the layer mask

• Advanced Member

thanks, it's an interesting workflow, i used the first step to import correctly my specular map,

but ithink 3Dcoat needs a big update in the viewport itself to get more into "Nextgen" renderer

wich is a feature i will ask in the forum

by the way i was more asking a way to paint Roghness/Specular/Metal with more clear tools.
for me the Gloss opacity has always been the best way to setup my specular level, wich is not the most appropriate way to set it correctly depending of material parameters.