3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Stencil Preview glitchy

GimbalLock

Hi forum,

I'm having trouble with stencil previews. If I choose camera mapping, the projection guide is way off to one corner, not centered to camera pov. Clicking Reset still keeps the preview inside the same square area. Using the green widget or the controls at the top of the screen moves the stencil around, but still inside the off-centered square. There's essentially no way to get the preview into the center of the screen.

I don't know if its related but I'm having other glitches with smart material preview just previewing as solid colors only (or normal map only) on some surfaces of a model while other surfaces on the same model will preview them correctly.

I have recent nVidia drivers and this happens in both DX and GL versions.

stencils.jpg

Hi Carlosan, thank you for your reply. It does reset the preview pattern, but only inside the square in the top left corner. It never centers the preview area itself.

I know it may have been distracting that the Smart Material Preview is open in my screenshot. I was not expecting it to fit inside automatically. It was just open when I captured the screen.

The problem is that the stencil preview does not center to my view in any way and never overlaps the model, so its practically useless in this state.

Yes, I use latest version.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

I do not experience your same problem. Works as excecpted in beta version opengl 4.8.15C

In the picture.

1. What Carlosan said about recentering the image.

2. Turn tiling on or off... The viewport will fill with the entire stencil if turned on. 

3. Right click on the centered dot and it will expose the parameters you see in the picture.

4. Reset. This will center the stencil plus reset the stencil to full resolution.

stencils.PNG

Hi Digman,

As I mention all the tools for manipulating position of the stencil preview only moves it inside the square I pointed out in the screenshot. The square is fixed no matter what. Or was, as I could get it to work properly by switching to retopo room and back to paint - then it would jump to fill out the screen as intended. Seems like a bug to me.

Will you please try to delete option.xml ? something an option.xml corrupted give malfunctions.

3DCoat will create a new option.xml file at the next start. Maybe this solves the problem.

Is located on your \Documents\3D-CoatV4___ folder

Hi Carlosan,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately that didn't work. I can make stencil appear as intended like I described above, but that is just because 3dCoat deselects any chosen material when doing the switch between rooms. So when I'm back in the Paint room and the stencil appears correctly, the moment I choose a Smart Matrial (and of course resets projection to Camera after the material switches it to Cube Mapping), the stencil returns to the odd behavior.

Is the stencil not supposed to work full-screen with a smart material selected?

• Reputable Contributor

Try this method.  The below worked on my end to center the image and tile it or move it plus resize.

Choose your smart material first. One reason is most default smart materials are set to cube mapping so  select "From Camera" in the Preview Options Panel.

Adjust the image size of your smart material to your liking. Center it , move it, resize etc... If you can not even do those  3  to a smart material image that is another problem addressed at the end of the post.

Turn tiling on or off.  Previous post picture. Test moving, centering and scaling again. 

Now select your stencil and it will now act as a mask for the smart material.

You can now adjust the stencil image but not the smart material image size, it appears locked. 

If you can not adjust your stencil image or a smart material image by itself,  then it is possible your 3DC installation is corrupt. 

If you re-install be sure to remove the 3DC folder under your  My documents folder/ user/ 3D-Coat xxxx ( your version)  manually. That is if you are using Windows.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I do not experience the same problems you are having.

The picture shows the smart material image, and the stencil overlaying it. The crack mud type stencil. 

The images are tiled...

Capture21.jpg

Hi Digman,

I can manipulate the scale/position/rotation of materials as well as stencils, but the preview visibility is acting very random and weird, and most of the time inside that off-center area I mention. Other preview-related things seem glitchy so I'll try to reinstall completely, wiping everything 3dCoat first, and see if that helps...

Ok, I completely wiped 3dC and reinstalled. Behavior is essentially the same. On the first launch I chose to paint object and loaded the preset model. I made a strange discovery in the process that makes it useable, although in an illogical way.

Described below. I'm a bit of a 3dC noob, but this is not intended design, is it?

It's only with a Smart Material selected. Paint with basic color and Stencil works as expected.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by GimbalLock

• Reputable Contributor

I can not re-produce these errors.  Possible video driver problem. If you use skype for voice and screen sharing, I would be happy to go over this problem with you. Pm me if interested. 

• Thanks 1

On further testing it suddenly worked exactly as I would expect... Not sure if this is operator errors or software behavior at this point. If I select a new Smart Material while the stencil is on, it seems I have to set the Smart Material projection to Camera first, then the stencil works. I thought it was possible to have Cube Mapping on the Smart Material while the stencil is Camera Mapping - maybe not?

There's a bit of wonky behavior depending on what I select or what exact order I do it (like the yellow gizmo appearing almost off-screen at times) But resetting the Preview Options fixes it. Maybe I just have to get used to 3dCoat's "personality" on this tool... Thanks alot for your offer, if it starts acting too strange again, I definitely wouldn't mind having a chat about it - thanks!

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, GimbalLock said:

I thought it was possible to have Cube Mapping on the Smart Material while the stencil is Camera Mapping - maybe not?

Maybe not is correct...

The stencil and the smart material will both be set at whatever is set either in the Smart Material or in the Stencil plus if it is changed from the Preview Options panel. They can not work independent of each other. 

One type of projection for them both.  

• Reputable Contributor

I do not know if this is a bug. 

I open the Smart Material first, and then open the stencil, now everything works as expected in both cube mapping and From Camera.  When first opening the smart material, If I do set it to from camera, yes I have to re-position the material if I want the image centered.

When opening a default Smart Material that is set to cube mapping the yellow dot is always place in the upper left outside of the preview window. Cube mapping does not need the material to be centered.  This could be a design choice to not have the yellow dot in the preview window. Maybe this needs to be changed to avoid confusion as in this case. 

Here is the problem.

Now if you open a stencil first and set it to "From camera" and then open a Smart Material that uses cube mapping it will auto switched to cube mapping and the default position of the material which is in the upper left hand corner of the viewport. 

In the pictures I opened my smart material first, then the stencil.

First picture shows the default position of the smart material, the yellow dot in the upper left hand corner. 

Second picture shows the stencil green dot centered which of course uses the smart materials cube mapping settings but the stencil is centered.

Capture46.PNG

Capture45.PNG

On 4/26/2018 at 8:54 AM, GimbalLock said:

Ok thanks, could you point a noob towards the proper channel/place to add such a reminder?

sorry i forgot to add:

Send any support-related questions, feature requests to Andrew Shpagin at

support@3dcoat.com

//edit

solved on version 4.9.22

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Stencil Preview glitchy