3DCoat Forums

Switch between DAE and OBJ files when painting uvs

hey,
I accidentally painted on a dae file model instead of exporting and painting on an obj one. Is there any way to fix or switch between the two?
I tried to replace the geometry and exporting and importing a dozen of psd or obj files or inputs but nothing seems to work correctly, the painting is displayed incorrectly on the model, somehow just because the original is on a dae file, the model's uv is triangulated and not quads like i've created in maya. is there any simple or known solution?
I've tried searching everywhere for a solution but just because i made a beginners mistake it seems as if all my work is pretty much lost.
also i tried to bake the uvs to the model for using as reference but it's also presented incorrectly.
any help would be of value, best wishes and bless you all 

• Reputable Contributor

I will give you a tip, it is a unsupported feature of 3DC but might work in your case. I use it on models that have been scanned with textures to bake textures to a low polygon model. To transfer the textures from the scan mesh to the low polygon mesh. This method does not use the sculpt room.

Method:

1. Import your dae model into the paint room or if have saved the 3DC file, the one that has all your textures, open that file.

2. Switch to the Retopo room. Import your quad polygon obj file under the retopo menu. This will become your retopo mesh for baking. Do any seam creation and unwrapping if necessary.  

3. Now bake to the paint room. If you do not know how, plenty of tutorials on baking. The method uses the same baking process as if you have a model in the sculpt room. 3DC will see the model in the paint room and use that model for baking and transferring the textures. 

4. Once done baking, delete the Dae model from the paint room and any layers that you do not need.

5. You will now have the obj quad model with the textures transferred to that model and the uv set. 

This works, I have done it many times...

You could use the texture baking tool but it does not support the baking of PBR textures and it's normal map presets are limited as well.

Note: if there are any real sculpt layers with models, hide those before baking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1