3DCoat Forums

cuda or not cuda ?

LypsiK

hi, i have some question for people who have tested 3d coat with cuda support.

1: Is it really faster than the normal version ?

2: I have a gforce 8600Gt with about 60c° when i use it to work. Can i use the cuda version without any danger for my gpu?

thanks a lot

hi, i have some question for people who have tested 3d coat with cuda support.

1: Is it really faster than the normal version ?

2: I have a gforce 8600Gt with about 60c° when i use it to work. Can i use the cuda version without any danger for my gpu?

thanks a lot

The variables are many and it's hard to give an exact speedup. Your videocard has 32SP, which won't give you a large speedup,

but then any speedup is always welcome really. Keep an eye on the heat, but i doubt that CUDA would change the temp much. I would still give it a go, it does tend to work when large brush sizes are an issue.

Andrew is meant to receive official Nvidia speedup results from Nvidia sometime soon, to try and quantify the numbers.

• Advanced Member

for me it doesn't seem to make any difference, the most important thing with voxels is to make sure you only have as dense a volume as you need. So if you have a relatively basic shape and it says it's at over 1 million triangles, chances are that you could clone and degrade it once or twice and get a nice speed up without losing much or any detail, maybe a little sharpness though but you can go over it again with the brush.