3DCoat Forums

Old Man

philnolan3d

• Advanced Member

Phil. Do you have a tablet? If not, using the snake tool with the worm profile works well (used subtractively with control key)... then smooth those over lightly.

Curve tool with "sharp" profile (and sharp brush) in paint mode works well too if you don't have a mouse... again with control key pressed.

Lastly, elephant skin material works well to fill in the details. Just rotate the material to match the wrinkles you already have and fill in the between areas.

It's how I made the old witch here (a combination of the three above techinques):

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=15979

Phil. Do you have a tablet? If not, using the snake tool with the worm profile works well (used subtractively with control key)... then smooth those over lightly.

Curve tool with "sharp" profile (and sharp brush) in paint mode works well too if you don't have a mouse... again with control key pressed.

Lastly, elephant skin material works well to fill in the details. Just rotate the material to match the wrinkles you already have and fill in the between areas.

It's how I made the old witch here (a combination of the three above techinques):

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=15979

Yes I have a tablet, actually I have several. The one I used for this is an Intuos 3 6x8. Interesting thoughts on the curve tool. I was just drawing each wrinkle in by hand with the Build tool inverted, Pinching it, then using the Clay Brush to build up just a little on either side, then smoothing that out. After I was finished with the main, big wrinkles I filled in some areas with the elephant skin, then went over the whole thing with the StoneDirt01 mask.

I hadn't seen the witch model before, but personally I feel like it has too many wrinkles and they seem too evenly dispersed / sized. If you look at the reference photos of my old man (mine are 3x bigger) you can see there are some areas where he has no wrinkles at all, others are very fine.

• Contributor
Yes I have a tablet, actually I have several. The one I used for this is an Intuos 3 6x8. Interesting thoughts on the curve tool. I was just drawing each wrinkle in by hand with the Build tool inverted, Pinching it, then using the Clay Brush to build up just a little on either side, then smoothing that out. After I was finished with the main, big wrinkles I filled in some areas with the elephant skin, then went over the whole thing with the StoneDirt01 mask.

I hadn't seen the witch model before, but personally I feel like it has too many wrinkles and they seem too evenly dispersed / sized. If you look at the reference photos of my old man (mine are 3x bigger) you can see there are some areas where he has no wrinkles at all, others are very fine.

Yeah, the "elephant skin" was over kill. But "pores" might make a contribution. Fine work so far.

The magnify/reduce tool in paint mode might help with that.

got a recent screenshot? I'd like to see your work.

I'm not really sure why I need help with that, I've already done it. :huh: As for a screenshot, that last one I posted in post #4 is the most recent one. Now I'm starting to work on retopology.

• Contributor
I think I misunderstood what he was saying regarding elephant skin... nevermind

My "elephant skin" comment was in reference to Pyborque's "Old Witch" (link above). It was well done but for (IMO) too much "elephant skin", especially on places like the bridge of the nose, etc.

• Advanced Member
My "elephant skin" comment was in reference to Pyborque's "Old Witch" (link above). It was well done but for (IMO) too much "elephant skin", especially on places like the bridge of the nose, etc.

You might be right about that. My guide was this image for the wrinkles (another lady for the shape of the face), but the bridge is relatively low on wrinkles. I will probaly go back and use the magnify/reduce tool on some areas. Thanks!

Retopology mostly done, still a few clean up tweaks to go. I'm not really thrilled with the 5 stars on the neck, but there was too much geometry for my liking and that was the fastest way to reduce it.

1622 polys now.

post-466-1239533985_thumb.jpg

• Contributor
Retopology mostly done, still a few clean up tweaks to go. I'm not really thrilled with the 5 stars on the neck, but there was too much geometry for my liking and that was the fastest way to reduce it.

1622 polys now.

A shirt collar will deal with the "stars". :good:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor
OK check out this little video. I made a couple of moles on his forehead. Do they look realistic? They were kind of a pain so I don't want to do that a dozen times or more if it doesn't look right.

http://screencast.com/t/cRO1RA5CQmX

Looks slightly malignant. You might have it looked at.

• Contributor
Added moles and other blemishes, painted the spec, and added some stubble. I think painting is just about done unless someone has any thoughts on changes.

oldmanwip09.th.jpg

All that is lacking now are those wild eyebrow, nose and ear hairs. Maybe Andrew can set up a means of rendering splines.