3DCoat Forums

Old Man

philnolan3d

• Advanced Member
Nice model, but it seems that wrinkles are too rare. Too "young" skin between wrinkles.

I guess it depends on the direction Phil is taking. There are two ways to simulate the wrinkles and both are valid.

1) One method is to sculpt only the "main" wrinkles and then add the finer wrinkles using either a "Displacement" map or add them in the final texture if they are quite fine. (this method is used a lot for games)

2) The other method is to add all of the detail to the sculpt using masks etc. Both methods are great but the first one can look as good if it done right and the model is a lot less cumbersome.

Phil Great progress on this guy and I look forward to seeing it finished! :) BTW, how did you do the turntable? Can this be done in 3DCoat?

I guess it depends on the direction Phil is taking. There are two ways to simulate the wrinkles and both are valid.

1) One method is to sculpt only the "main" wrinkles and then add the finer wrinkles using either a "Displacement" map or add them in the final texture if they are quite fine. (this method is used a lot for games)

2) The other method is to add all of the detail to the sculpt using masks etc. Both methods are great but the first one can look as good if it done right and the model is a lot less cumbersome.

Phil Great progress on this guy and I look forward to seeing it finished! :) BTW, how did you do the turntable? Can this be done in 3DCoat?

Thank you, I was actually just following the reference photos. Yes, the turntable is done in 3DC, it's in the render settings, a check box called "Render Frames Sequence". More options appear when you check it.

• Contributor
I'm not sure what you mean. There is a little fold of skin in the outer corner of each eye and something about that looks odd to me, like it's too thin. I'm still investigating the cause.

Nice job, Phil! The tear duct does look too far from the corner of the eyeball, however.

• Advanced Member

its good progress but I dont want to lie and if Im honest it looks more like a rubber mask of an old lady. Next time you work on a project like this it would probably be worth spending more time sculpting the structure of the face, muscles and wrinkles and only go to colouring and rendering when you already have a very strong realistic likeness in the sculpt.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a turn around with some hair. I think it will be easier to et the base shape down once we have the reference images working properly, which according to Andrew is already done and ready for the next update,.

• 5 weeks later...
The eyes look a bit sunken in there. The skin could use some more definition... more winkles especially. The shirt looks ok, but this old guy's shoulders probably won't be so broad, his waist so narrow, and his torso so short.

Thanks I think I will mess with the shirt's shape a little bit more once it's turned into polys.

• 3 years later...

It looks like you are using a reference image i have used once in the past.

This is one of the only wip shots i could quickly find online (many of the faults present in the screenshot have been fixed). I thought it might help you out with some of the processes and structures of the face.

virgilBase.jpg

Edit:// I didnt realize this thread had been resurrected.