3DCoat Forums

Nvidia Blindness and 3DC OGL.

Scott

I'm wondering if Andrew has had a chance to evaluate "Nvidia's Blindness" OGL extensions.

Nvidia are claiming that significant speed and performance increases are offered in the Nvidia 1.85 drivers and above, when using the two new extensions.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/bindless_graphics.html

So I'm wondering if 3DC OGL versions on the PC, Mac, Linux could gain some speed by changing this? D3D doesn't have an equiv idea as yet, But I'm sure they will soon enough. It seems to be the ability to have GPU address pointers, Which is quite a powerful change to OGL, it seems many Developers believe it's a very good idea.

It would be nice to think that our current Videocards could push 3DC 5x faster than they are currently?

More discussion here: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ub...729&fpart=1

Hi Scott, maybe you'd better do a search before start a new topic. :rolleyes:

Hi, Well it wasn't in this forum, and i don't think i plan on searching every forum topic, before i post every subject. It seems Andrew didn't see or answer the previous thread, So i guess it cannot hurt to have another? I'm not sure if Andrew has intimate knowledge of his OGL code, So perhaps this thread may be lucky enough to get a reply from someone with some knowledge on the subject. :blink:

Personally 3DC has slowed down a bit over the 3.0, and having 5x faster OGL is a priority, Speed is always going to be an issue for 3DC, Mudbox and ZBrush are handled much better on laptops etc, So Blindness OGL extensions are quite useful to me.

I can't even install mudbox on my desktop, not to mention my laptop, it ain't just me either, have a look at the "mud board" over @ "the area" and yes i have decent specs. 8800GT 512mg, Core 2 duo 3.0ghz and so on... According to Autodesk, you need to run a Quadro card to get it working nicely, i reckon Andrew here has the right answer for large polygon counts on fairly decent cards and systems or even sub average ones according to some youtube tut's i have watched today :)

The reason i am exploring 3D coat is because i believe it will run on my machine nicely, i have yet to find time to install the trial lol :blush:

But yeah, i totally agree with taking advantage of all the latest tech, Must Have Speed........ :P