3DCoat Forums

Voxel Rending on a Mac

davis225

Hey all.

First off, Andrew, thank you and thanks to your team for creating such an incredible piece of software!

I have a question about rendering in voxel mode. I want to save my rendered frames. I know that in the option, there's a place to put the folder where you want them to render, but i'm new to my mac, and not sure what the syntax is for me to save them on my desktop.

If I were using a pc, it' be C:/username/documents and settings/desktop

What is the equivilant for mac?

Also, Andrew, I think a button so that the user can navigate to pick a folder would be awesome!

Thanks in advance everyone

Hey all.

First off, Andrew, thank you and thanks to your team for creating such an incredible piece of software!

I have a question about rendering in voxel mode. I want to save my rendered frames. I know that in the option, there's a place to put the folder where you want them to render, but i'm new to my mac, and not sure what the syntax is for me to save them on my desktop.

If I were using a pc, it' be C:/username/documents and settings/desktop

What is the equivilant for mac?

Also, Andrew, I think a button so that the user can navigate to pick a folder would be awesome!

Thanks in advance everyone

In ALPHA 81 it will be much easier. Now it is only for windows, OSX version - very soon.

But if you mean rendering turnables, you should just type one word there, not path. Rendered images will be put in 3D-Coat folder in RenderedImages/your_typed_name

In ALPHA 81 it will be much easier. Now it is only for windows, OSX version - very soon.

But if you mean rendering turnables, you should just type one word there, not path. Rendered images will be put in 3D-Coat folder in RenderedImages/your_typed_name

Thanks Andrew.

So I tried that, and it looks like my rendered image is completely grey, with a very faint outline of the voxel sculpt.

Has anyone encountered the same problem?

I'm on a MacBook Pro, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB. For me rendering gets stuck at 2% and never finishes no matter what the voxel model is (even the initial sphere). 3D-Coat just locks up and I'm forced to force-quit the program.

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought I'd bump this since I still have the same problem with V3.00.02 on Mac OS X except now "Rays" count up to about 350 and then stop. I can hit "Esc" to return to voxel sculpting now as well, so I don't have to force-quit 3D-Coat anymore. But I still can't render anything.

I just thought I'd bump this since I still have the same problem with V3.00.02 on Mac OS X except now "Rays" count up to about 350 and then stop. I can hit "Esc" to return to voxel sculpting now as well, so I don't have to force-quit 3D-Coat anymore. But I still can't render anything.

Can you try render something, then exit and send me file log.txt from 3D-Coat's folder to support@3d-coat.com

It seems render fails on ATI cards. I have no OSX computer wth ATI card, so I need some help in this.

Can you try render something, then exit and send me file log.txt from 3D-Coat's folder to support@3d-coat.com

It seems render fails on ATI cards. I have no OSX computer wth ATI card, so I need some help in this.

I dreamt last night that 3D-Coat started rendering just fine on my computer... but it was just a dream. It still doesn't work :unsure:

Opened 3D-Coat, selected small voxel sphere, went to render tab, clicked render. Rays reached 320 and then stopped. Nothing seemed to be happening after waiting a few minutes (though 3D-Coat was still using ~96% of my CPU) so I pressed "ESC" and then quit 3D-Coat without saving changes to scene. "log.txt" file emailed to you.

EDIT: Oh, and I used V3-00-02.

I received, tried on ATI card, but seems all is much more complex then expected. Some older ATI card have no support of float rendertargets.

I will try to find solution, but only after vacation. Anyway this problem is in my mind.

Well don't think about it while on vacation. You just relax :)

• Advanced Member
Opened 3D-Coat, selected small voxel sphere, went to render tab, clicked render. Rays reached 320 and then stopped. Nothing seemed to be happening after waiting a few minutes (though 3D-Coat was still using ~96% of my CPU) so I pressed "ESC" and then quit 3D-Coat without saving changes to scene. "log.txt" file emailed to you.

Andrew, I have the exact same problem. Using 3DCoat 3.00.07 (Mac) I start the render and rays reach 320 and stay there. It also locks up 3DCoat so I have to force quit it. Andrew I have posted an image of my video card settings. I am using:

Hardware: Mac Pro Octocore

Ram: 12 GB

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 GT

Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT

post-920-1244691084_thumb.jpg

Andrew, please don't think about this until you get back, but enjoy your family time! :)

• Advanced Member
Andrew, I have the exact same problem. Using 3DCoat 3.00.07 (Mac) I start the render and rays reach 320 and stay there. It also locks up 3DCoat so I have to force quit it.

Well I don't think this is a bug, the default render setting is 320 rays, when it reach to 320 of course it should stay here(because the render is finished). Then you just need to press "ESC" key back to viewport. To get the image you rendered, just go to the directory which you assigned in render panel before the render:

post-445-1244695001_thumb.jpg

Well I don't think this is a bug, the default render setting is 320 rays, when it reach to 320 of course it should stay here(because the render is finished). Then you just need to press "ESC" key back to viewport. To get the image you rendered, just go to the directory which you assigned in render panel before the render:

I mentioned before, If you want more than 320 rays you have to enable 32 bit rendering.

• Advanced Member

Yes that worked. The rays kept on increasing and increasing and at 20,000 rays I hit the "esc". Normally the renderers I've used are bucket or line rendering so you see the image being slowly rendered, and it is clearly visible when the render is completed. This 3DCoat rendering is new to me. Thanks

You can set it to finish as a specific number if you like. Just check the box for Render Frames Sequence and set the "frames to render" number to 1 then "Rays per frame" to whatever you want.

"How do you know when it is finished?"

It's finished when you think it looks nice and hit Esc. Unless you set it like I said above. FPrime for LightWave is another renderer that just keeps on refining the image, making it better and better until you decide it's done.

• Advanced Member
"How do you know when it is finished?"

It's finished when you think it looks nice and hit Esc. Unless you set it like I said above. FPrime for LightWave is another renderer that just keeps on refining the image, making it better and better until you decide it's done.

I rendered an image with DOF and stopped it at 60,000 and no DOF. I also rendered the same file and stopped it at 20,000 rays and then another and stopped it at 60,000 rays and there was no visible difference in quality between the two.

It's finished when you think it looks nice and hit Esc.

In Vue or Cinema 4D for example you can set the render settings for a specific size and image quality. How can you set it to render to a specific size like 1024 x 768 pixels?

I also need to render the frames at a specific size for television. A 16:9 aspect ratio. How can I do this?

Thanks

• Advanced Member
Well rendering till it looks nice is OK, but what if you need a set consistent quality using different models. In Vue or Cinema 4D for example you can set the render settings for a specific size and image quality. How can you set it to render to a specific size like 1024 x 768 pixels?

I also need to render the frames at a specific size for television. A 16:9 aspect ratio. How can I do this?

Thanks

You just need to make feature request. :)

• Advanced Member
You just need to make feature request. :)

Thanks lc8b105

I just made 3 Rendering Feature requests!

Adding .tiff to file saving options

Render area currently includes the Render Panel I asked that this be changed. (I explain in more detail over there)

Allowing users to type in a render "Size" for their render.

If you agree with these requests, please head over to the "Feature Requests" and show support for these requests. :) Thanks!

• Advanced Member
I answered this in my last post above.

When I said, "Well rendering till it looks nice is OK, but what if you need a set consistent quality using different models." Oops, sorry Phil. Let me clarify what I meant. I think it would be good if users were able to type in a render image size. I'm not concerned with the quality or how it renders (although strange IMO) as the renders seem to be very fast and the quality looks good too! :)

• 1 month later...

Well, it looks like I still have an issue with this.

When I hit the render, instead of it actually rendering, it looks like the model is slowly becoming more and more transparent, until at past 300 rays, it's completely invisible.