3DCoat Forums

We need to Improve Retopo and UV

• Advanced Member

Hi All

I want to share Something I did this weekend,

I tree

First I tried Quadrangulation, Don't work with Thin areas and Small pieces.

I did a Full retopo of the tree using most of the time the Strokes was so freaking hard, most of the time leaves holes in the mesh then I need to use other tools to fill the Holes.

(wee need some thing to clean the geometry and find the open areas.)

I export the mesh to clean the geometry and some random vertices in blender and make a better UV mapping I use Roadkill Uv mapping to.

(We need better UV mapping tools to move and connect make seams in UV window.)

Then I import the mesh in retopo again to Translate the details.

I don't know what to implement to make this process more simple and not go out and use another application to finish something that Mabey 3D Coat Can Do.

I hope you understand, My English Its not the best.

post-426-1242659173_thumb.jpg

post-426-1242659188_thumb.jpg

post-426-1242659198_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Perhaps a quick way to add single 'capped-end' cylinders would be a potential solution.

The user would choose this tool, select the number of sides and edge-rings they wanted,

and draw the spline down the length of the chosen 'limb', which would be capped with triangles

at the end (depending on the number of sides chosen). They could, of course, go back in and

edit the topo as they saw fit (like putting quads on the end, or something).

I'd imagine there's always a certain amount of built-in tedium native to retopo-ing trees manually,

no matter how we slice it though... :)

• Advanced Member

the tool has alot of potential but for now. its painful .. i work in game and tried to create lowres model and i have headache every time i repotopology. I wish Andrew pay more attention on this tool cause it will affect whole lot how 3dc can emerge into video game development.

T

• Advanced Member
the tool has alot of potential but for now. its painful .. i work in game and tried to create lowres model and i have headache every time i repotopology. I wish Andrew pay more attention on this tool cause it will affect whole lot how 3dc can emerge into video game development.

T

No offense but I think specific feature requests and bug reporting help 3DC more than emotional phrases.

akira.

No offense but I think specific feature requests and bug reporting help 3DC more than emotional phrases.

akira.

Well after trying many other tools for retopology, I think 3D-Coat is far and away the best tool I have used and the fastest so I have to disagree with you that it is a drawback for some to do game models, however, I did run into a few difficulties like cleaning up extra points and sometimes not being able to get inside hidden areas on a model to add polys. The other thing I see that might help is a feature optimizes or merges points to make sure you don't have any overlaps. I'm sure that it will get some attention at some point.

• Advanced Member
Hi All

I want to share Something I did this weekend,

I tree

First I tried Quadrangulation, Don't work with Thin areas and Small pieces.

I did a Full retopo of the tree using most of the time the Strokes was so freaking hard, most of the time leaves holes in the mesh then I need to use other tools to fill the Holes.

(wee need some thing to clean the geometry and find the open areas.)

I export the mesh to clean the geometry and some random vertices in blender and make a better UV mapping I use Roadkill Uv mapping to.

(We need better UV mapping tools to move and connect make seams in UV window.)

Then I import the mesh in retopo again to Translate the details.

I don't know what to implement to make this process more simple and not go out and use another application to finish something that Mabey 3D Coat Can Do.

I hope you understand, My English Its not the best.

post-426-1242659173_thumb.jpg

post-426-1242659188_thumb.jpg

post-426-1242659198_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean. I find myself constantly switching to Blender to do uv layout. 3dCoat's UV tools are a lot better than many apps, but they're still inadequate if you're used to something more. A couple suggestions to improve UV layout:

1. live pinning and unwrap transform a-la blender (roadkill uses blender's code to do the same thing apparantly)

2. realtime preview of distortion, both area based and angle based.

3. option to view a checker/test texture to preview distortion visually.

4. option to change unwrapping method per island (LCSM, conformal, projection based on empty/locator/camera etc...)

5. better method to automatically optimize (pack) island placement and scale.

6. smooth function to average uv positions and "smooth" things out. Blender calls this "mimimize stretch" and i believe it's angle based. Perhaps something more elegant could be done in 3d coat taking either angle, area, or a user-set combination of those into account or perhaps these options could be integrated into the live pin transform.

• Advanced Member
I have already made some improvements in UV tool - you can scale, move, rotate, re-pack individual clusters.

That's fantastic, and I don't mean to be critical, but it's not that much use if there is no way to preview the distortion, either by area based coloring on the uvs or by a checker texture of sorts (or both at the same time). Otherwise there is no real way, other than guessing or approximation, to tell whether a cluster/island size is correct in relation to the others.

• Contributor
indeed...nice one with the cap tool. :)

(maybe it's just me, but retopology tools in general feel more forgiving...doesn't seem so

tricky to move verts out on edges, etc. This is good!) :D

I was unable to split an edge using the "Insert" key although the "Backspace" key worked fine for faces. Retopolization is a pleasant task as the improvements you can make to the original are worth the time.