3DCoat Forums

Greebles

Digital777

• Advanced Member

I am just wondering is this a general help? Can i post modelling questions here or is it for general talk about the app only? Maybe there should be a Modelling help section also.

Anyway the main thing im wondering is there any way to do these Greeble things -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthrea...age=1&pp=15

Zbrush seems to do it with image on the whole shape using a image and it's tools, is this type of thing possible with 3D Coat also?

I am just wondering is this a general help? Can i post modelling questions here or is it for general talk about the app only? Maybe there should be a Modelling help section also.

Anyway the main thing im wondering is there any way to do these Greeble things -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthrea...age=1&pp=15

Zbrush seems to do it with image on the whole shape using a image and it's tools, is this type of thing possible with 3D Coat also?

Seems you have not yet exactly same feature

In Voxel mode you have Logo who make volume from an Image

In Normal mode you have "paint pattern" who sculpt from an image along a curve over a volume

You have paint from a material directly in volume over the volume

Ps You have 2 cool "grebbles" from free Google Sketchup but you must export it inside 3d-Coat but not directly (you must pass by Blender)

So maybe it's not that you want :)

And it's real "greeble" from a volume and not greeble from a photo like ZBrush (who is more a wrap than a real greebble: Lemonnado is a funny friend guy)

Zebble is not Grebble :)

I don't have V3 yet but i have the betas before the release. Im still quite new with this app is there a tutorial or step by step method for making these?

I'm not really sure if there is...

After watching Star Trek, Star Wars, and so many other sci-fi shows and movies over the years I think greebles and nurnies are a natural thing for me to create.

I would use images from those areas as reference and create some stuff based on that. :)

Just my 2 cents.

• Advanced Member

I tried using the Logo tool with a image, it made a plane with the image parts cut out of it but thats not what i want. I wanted to use images to make really abstract shapes like in the image from post 2 but they did not give any information about how to actually do it.

• Advanced Member

I have that app and it's good but i was hoping that 3DC could make these using images i make. I like them because i like abstract artworks and these are quite fun, the ones from the z-brush site look cool but i have yet to see them actually made within 3DC but im fairly sure it is possible which was why i asked.

Is there a way to wrap a image around the whole shape or a sphere and then expand it via the mask/heightmap? I think this is what they do in ZB and it has tools to transform the shape using the image/mask data but im not sure how to do this in 3DC yet.

• Advanced Member

Yeah it's nice for interesting abstracts, there will be a new version sometime this year with better exporting of objects but the only problem is it's aimed towards Z-brush or it sounds that way. Hopefully it will load just as well into 3DC.

Today i found out the move option in the voxel tools which you can use images/brushes to extrude the surface. I will have to do some tests but it looks like exactly what i wanted only you do it like a brush rather than applying to the whole shape but maybe there will be a way to do that if not already but in a future update. Thanks everyone :)

• 6 years later...
  • Advanced Member

I think there's an app called "groboto" that is specialized in that.

I used it once,and it was still fun.

Sadly there has been updates or even any news on Groboto for over 2 years at least. Love the app but it is a bit buggy with frequent crashing....