3DCoat Forums

3DC @ SIGGRAPH 09?

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

Someone over at the Newtek forums mentioned that they didn't see (on the current list of companies with booths) Newtek listed, but did see Pilgway/3DC listed.

Is that correct? Is Andrew really going to make his debut American appearance at Siggraph?

After all the stink some of these haters (in other forums) are making over the EULA, he may want to make sure that security stays close by. These kinds of people are totally uncivil if you disagree with them, and they'll stop at nothing to try and wreck your demonstrations, and try to shut you up in general.

Nevertheless, I think it's a good idea to have a booth there...maximum exposure, and allows the big guns (major film studios and game companies, among others) in attendance to see what you got. :good:

• Reputable Contributor

By the way...here is the PDF which happens to show a list of exhibitors. Pilgway, again is among them. I hope this is true. Could be one of the biggest hits of the show, IMHO. Just wait til folks get to stop by and test it with a 3DConnexion SpacePilot...they're probably going to giggle like a little kid. :yahoo:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/AdvanceProgram.pdf

• Advanced Member

Andrew will indeed be at Siggraph 09. He will be running the Pilgway booth all by himself, so if any 3DC users are heading there you should give him a buzz. If you look at the map he's surrounded by a few 3d printing/scanning companies, so it should make for a good area for him to be demoing voxel sculpting etc.

As long as we're on the subject, this would also be a good time for the 3DC community to start putting together anything we think might help him with demos at the show. Anything visual to demo 3DC features would probably be a great help to Andrew (geo's videos are a great example). Heck, I'm sure he would even appreciate someone helping demo stuff live if you're up for it.

The 3DC booth will definitely be buzzing, even if this year is a small show (economy and all). I hope Andrew has a blast showing off all those features that have made us go "wow" over the past few years.

-Oliver

• Advanced Member

Too bad he can't have at least three other people- on showing re-topology/UV tools, one showing the painting tools, and one doing voxel sculpts. Add someone to walk around and answer questions while the others demonstrate and Andrew talks tech and you've got the beginnings of a great booth IMHO.

Nvidia should have him hanging around or talking about using CUDA IMHO. He's one of the few 3D app developers taking it full on AFAIK.

• Reputable Contributor
Too bad he can't have at least three other people- on showing re-topology/UV tools, one showing the painting tools, and one doing voxel sculpts. Add someone to walk around and answer questions while the others demonstrate and Andrew talks tech and you've got the beginnings of a great booth IMHO.

Nvidia should have him hanging around or talking about using CUDA IMHO. He's one of the few 3D app developers taking it full on AFAIK.

I'd like to see Andrew incorporate PhysX as well, for the Cloth simulations...NVidia would love him!...and might use the product as a key selling point for it's cards (as a developer who is out front with their technology)...it's one reason, I recently switched from an ATI to an NVidia card.

I'd like to be there and help sell and demonstrate the product, but I've got a lot to learn about it myself, plus I'd have to travel from the LA area all the way out there to do so. I have plenty of projects I want to use it on, so we'll see.

BTW, what's Andrew going to do about a translator, if he's going all by himself?

• Reputable Contributor
Andrew will indeed be at Siggraph 09. He will be running the Pilgway booth all by himself, so if any 3DC users are heading there you should give him a buzz. If you look at the map he's surrounded by a few 3d printing/scanning companies, so it should make for a good area for him to be demoing voxel sculpting etc.

As long as we're on the subject, this would also be a good time for the 3DC community to start putting together anything we think might help him with demos at the show. Anything visual to demo 3DC features would probably be a great help to Andrew (geo's videos are a great example). Heck, I'm sure he would even appreciate someone helping demo stuff live if you're up for it.

The 3DC booth will definitely be buzzing, even if this year is a small show (economy and all). I hope Andrew has a blast showing off all those features that have made us go "wow" over the past few years.

-Oliver

I just hope all of these "haters" that try to wreck threads about 3DC (because of the EULA and essentially Andrew's Christian faith), will practice the same tolerance that they preach, and show some civility. If they don't like it they should just walk on by...I'd definitely try to inform the SIGGRAPH coordinators and security to keep a close watch just in case you get some knuckleheads that decide to get irrate and act a fool.

If I can get there, I'll quickly step in if things should get a bit ugly.

Yes i agree the Nvidia CUDA angle is something both Nvidia and Andrew should play up, as is cross platform D3D and OGL.

It would be really nice to see an early Linux version running, just to let people know that it is a real option for 3DC. It's something Pixologic and Zbrush won't be

able to show. And having a real sculpting application with real 2D Layer paint capability is sure to impress the larger studios that are often Linux based.

But i also agree if he can't have some fast impressive sculpters on the floor at least get some impressive video demos running. Retopology, Voxels and particularly stuff like Curves, Snake etc which are very unique to Voxels and 3D, Also try and print up some CD's with manuals, videos and 3DCoat trials to hand out to ensure a popular Siggraph meet.

And it might be time for 3DC loyalists to try and turn out some really nice sculpt/renders for Andrew to slideshow. ;)

• Advanced Member

Nvidia would be cool. Wacom should be there too, I think they like to see any app that supports their tablets. I hope the Newtek folks wander over, I spent some time chatting them up about 3DC last year with my Superman, Igor etc pics in hand. I know some of them use it now and are very happy with it, but I don't think any of them are posting work here (correct me if I'm wrong Newtek folk!). They have that other project going on though, so they might be slammed this year.

If any of you guys are planning on going, I would seriously advise getting rooms ASAP; they're more important than tickets or travel because they sell out ridiculously fast (especially anything within walking distance of the conference). There are usually some good packages on room and airfare rates linked to the Sig site. You may even be able to get free/cheap general conference tickets by registering with Newtek or other vendors, but those are generally only one day passes and won't get you into the studio talks. Andrew himself may have access to vendor passes, I haven't asked yet.

As for security, there are usually plenty of people on hand at the event. I don't think it will be an issue by then, but I would hope people would know better than to start something on the show floor.

-Oliver

• Advanced Member

Actually - it would be a very good idea for Andrew to get some of you guys to volunteer to do some demos throughout the day. It can be an exhausting show for exhibitors, and if he's mostly handling this himself it could be really tough.

If just a few people took some 30 minute slots throughout each day, it could really help him out.

Just my .02 cents.

PG

People at Siggraph are generally in a really good mood. I mean even if it's a business trip, it's basically a vacation for most of them. Most of the big software vendors like NewTek and autodesk throw parties so people are either in a good mood from that or looking forward to it while they are on the show floor. So I don't think there will be any trouble. Although I think it's needless to say I hope Andrew doesn't do anything religious with his booth.

• Advanced Member

I don't think you need to worry about people misbehaving at siggraph like they do on forums. People are always going to act outrageously on the internet because they feel safe and anonymous. In public though people typically try to contain themselves. Also many companies are paying their employees to attend, so they have to act professionally.