3DCoat Forums

Photoshop/3DC Brush library?

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

I've got a pretty extensive library of Photoshop brushes that can be uploaded to a central location here, if Andrew would like to have a sticky available for a Brush Exchange Library. Anyone else would be free to add their own brushes. I think this could contribute to some outstanding work being done when artists can quickly and easily access a huge library of various brush patterns....straight away, not having to dig around the internet to do so.

Andrew or anyone else on the 3DC staff, let me know if they can be uploaded to your server. The library I have is roughly 500mb

• Advanced Member

Me too. I've been building a set for release to the 3DC community, but with a 2mb limit there's no way I'm posting them as attachments. I asked Andrew about making a library (for registered users so as to conserve bandwidth) for mats, shaders, pens, vox stamps/splines, etc. He liked the idea, but it was right before the pre-launch bug stomp so I don't think he's had time to figure out how to implement it. Maybe once he has had a chance to catch up with post-vacation backlog we can give him another nudge.

-Oliver

• Advanced Member
Me too. I've been building a set for release to the 3DC community, but with a 2mb limit there's no way I'm posting them as attachments. I asked Andrew about making a library (for registered users so as to conserve bandwidth) for mats, shaders, pens, vox stamps/splines, etc. He liked the idea, but it was right before the pre-launch bug stomp so I don't think he's had time to figure out how to implement it. Maybe once he has had a chance to catch up with post-vacation backlog we can give him another nudge.

-Oliver

Would be cool to be able to browse such libraries from within 3dc... kinda like XSI's netview or modo's new preset browser, with little thumbnails that represent the brushes so you can literally choose them to work with on the fly. Probably a bit more work upfront, but a great way to keep the community involved directly in improving 3dcoat. I know I much prefer being able to sift through a set of brushes or presets and just use what I want rather than having to download and then sort through and discard the stuff I don't want. Being able to categorize them would be gravy too.

• Advanced Member

I really like the browsing idea. Off-hand I would think that would require a lot more work on the server side than actual programming. I bet just the people who have posted on this thread could contribute a few gigs of resources, which can be a lot of files and bandwidth to manage. On the programming side I'm fairly sure Andrew could do it once he knows what the users want.

I never really got brushes. I use maybe 3 or 4 of the ones that comes with Photoshop. Never saw much need to download more. I guess if they were stamps for things you might need repeatedly like the button pen or that one that looks like bricks in 3DC then it could be useful.

• Reputable Contributor
I never really got brushes. I use maybe 3 or 4 of the ones that comes with Photoshop. Never saw much need to download more. I guess if they were stamps for things you might need repeatedly like the button pen or that one that looks like bricks in 3DC then it could be useful.
Brushes are your friend...my friend. :D Use em for sculpting/detailing irregular patterns...and more importantly texture painting believable textures...grunge brushes are terrific for both applications, like dirtying up masonry and asphalt, even metal. Also for scratches and damage on armor. Splat brushes are great too for dirtying up/weathering textures. Techno brushes can help build cityscapes, etc. You can use floral brushes to apply intricate patterns on armor, or within trim on a building.

There are just so many good applications. Having an extensive library can make your life a lot easier any time you have to use photoshop or 3DC. I'm just hoping that any brushes one might have loaded in the pallet is cached to DISK, and not hoarding precious RAM resources. Only the active brush should be loaded into memory.

• Reputable Contributor
I think this is a really good idea. Though we may have to wait for Andrew to get back in town.
Hey Javis. Thanks again for the free webcast training. Looking forward to the paid one this weekend. Anyhow, someone asked "if they can use Photoshop brushes" during the session. If that topic comes up again, please mention that not only can you use them, but that happens to be one of the little nuggets of goodness that you find in 3DC.

You can simply copy all your photoshop brushes into the same folder your current 3dc brushes are stored, and load them into the pallet whenever you please. In Mudbox...it's a big pain to try and get all of your brushes into it's library. You have to go and convert each brush to a greyscale TGA or PNG, and then, in order to keep from having to spend all day doing that with each one, you have to set up an applet to do the entire folder. That makes it easier. But 3DC reads Photoshop brush files (.abr), so you don't have to go through all of that mess. Really nice feature, IMO.

Photoshop brushes into Mudbox (takes you seconds to load them into 3dc):

http://vimeo.com/groups/mudbox2009/videos/3031432

Hey man, thanks! I will definitely mention that. I had no idea you could do that, lol! It's one of those hidden gems.

PS- No problem on the session. This next one will be a great one. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the video, too. I didn't know it was so troublesome to get brushes from photoshop in to mudbox, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor
Actually, I've been thinking about this... I wouldn't mind hosting it on my site. If I get enough interested I'll set up a page on my site with a brush library.

As Audy Murphy was wont to say, "A good idea, I'll go for it!" I especially would like to see a brush that facilitated the depiction of hair in a voxel wig. Go for it, Jarvis! :clapping:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Andrew, has your web guy set up a directory on the server where a Brush and Shader Library can be centrally located for registered users to upload and download? I'm ready to send my brush library (500mb roughly)...when you are ready to receive it.

• 1 year later...

I am awash, drowning!, in Photoshop brushes that I have collected over the years.

However a WOW free set made available by Yang, via this site, just asked to be put into 3DC..

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=781923

I presume this is what you are all suggesting to do--attachment?

Brian

Thanks for the link, I missed that somehow!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did anyone come up with the Brush Library? I have it as a Zip file if it is still needed and there is a place to deposit the file. Let me know.

I'm still hoping to get a copy of this library, assuming it's legal for sharing. I don't know where it can be hosted but perhaps it would be suited for setting up a BitTorrent for a while so interested parties can help share it. It looks like all that would be required is installing BitTorrent and using the File->Create New Torrent option.

Another option is one of the many free file hosting services out there.

Thanks for any help getting this - I'm not a very strong 3DC user and can use any tools & help I can get to improve my results ;)

• Reputable Contributor

I'm still hoping to get a copy of this library, assuming it's legal for sharing. I don't know where it can be hosted but perhaps it would be suited for setting up a BitTorrent for a while so interested parties can help share it. It looks like all that would be required is installing BitTorrent and using the File->Create New Torrent option.

Another option is one of the many free file hosting services out there.

Thanks for any help getting this - I'm not a very strong 3DC user and can use any tools & help I can get to improve my results ;)

I was using ADrive as you could store 50GB for free, but at some point they started cracking down on shared files (I guess due to bandwidth), and only allowing them to remain live for 30 days or less. It's legal because all the brushes were acquired from Adobe's exchange and some newer ones from ZBrush Central

• Advanced Member

I was using ADrive as you could store 50GB for free, but at some point they started cracking down on shared files (I guess due to bandwidth), and only allowing them to remain live for 30 days or less. It's legal because all the brushes were acquired from Adobe's exchange and some newer ones from ZBrush Central

Windows Live Skye Drive gives 25 gigs free... I would like to download the pack too...

• Contributor

I could create a shared folder on my dropbox account (I've 50gb), but that means you have to upload it yourself, my connection at home is too weak (It took a day to upload a directory of high def references yesterday and it was only 2gb).

Let me know if you're interested.

Of course doing so would mean you have to have a dropbox account and the software installed to access the files and register your dropbox username here. (edit: maybe not if I can move the files in public folder after upload)