3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

Hi Leigh,

I am not shure about his ear, especially the upper part. The edge looks a bit sharp for me, but maybe I am wrong. I've looked for good refs, but have not found the right one. In the most images, he have "too much" hair... ;)

Anyway, good work as always. I like the skin, did you really paint the skin colors by hand or have you used a texture projection too? I have some experience with facetextures for real characters, and it is really hard to get good results. Mostly it is strongly dependent by the used renderer. Realtime textures are something completely different, but there are the shaders that dictate the rules. A classic 2D artist have more control over the result. :)

Below the line: Very nice.

Best wishes

Chris

• Contributor

Hi Leigh,

I am not shure about his ear, especially the upper part. The edge looks a bit sharp for me, but maybe I am wrong. I've looked for good refs, but have not found the right one. In the most images, he have "too much" hair... ;)

Anyway, good work as always. I like the skin, did you really paint the skin colors by hand or have you used a texture projection too? I have some experience with facetextures for real characters, and it is really hard to get good results. Mostly it is strongly dependent by the used renderer. Realtime textures are something completely different, but there are the shaders that dictate the rules. A classic 2D artist have more control over the result. :)

Below the line: Very nice.

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Chris, Yep Ref on the ear is impossible from google, too many varients ( I know Bad artist blame the reference but hey it true from google image searches all to often)

Yup I did paint the texture by han (Honestly). I have Ref image open and I pick the colours from reference directly this ensures a good match. So many people dont bleieve me but honestly its pretty easy to do. I hate projecting skin cos unless you have a very flat model thats what you get a projected look. But i agree its very difficult to get a match and make it look good. But thats why I pick colour from the image. For me Projecting is a no no. Bad results depending on the required result, and unless the reference is Very good (Flat shadowless) there is far too much contradiction from the shaders.

here is the ref pic i loaded up for the palette -

post-1266-12943065604902_thumb.jpg

Flat shade -

post-1266-12943079086185_thumb.jpg

Clearly no projection :)

• Reputable Contributor

Ah, I believe you Leigh... Painting human skin tone is really no different in 3D as it is in 2D,the principles are the same. The rendering application and your scene lighting play into it so some adjustments might be necessary of course. Hope to see you come back to this later and finish. Your workmanship shows through in all your work... B)

Hi Chris, Yep Ref on the ear is impossible from google, too many varients ( I know Bad artist blame the reference but hey it true from google image searches all to often)

Yup I did paint the texture by han (Honestly). I have Ref image open and I pick the colours from reference directly this ensures a good match. So many people dont bleieve me but honestly its pretty easy to do. I hate projecting skin cos unless you have a very flat model thats what you get a projected look. But i agree its very difficult to get a match and make it look good. But thats why I pick colour from the image. For me Projecting is a no no. Bad results depending on the required result, and unless the reference is Very good (Flat shadowless) there is far too much contradiction from the shaders.

Clearly no projection :)

Ah ok. Now I see it. Very good.

But as soon as you work with subsurface scattering shaders, it begins to be tricky. But it depends on the renderer, that is my opinion.

:)

I am not projecting from photos, too, but I have some basis skin textures prepared and use a combination of projecting and classic painting, like you. This gives me the best result.

Best wishes

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Hi Leigh,

I've tried to reach you several times by email and by pm here, but had no luck. Could you please read your mails or send me a small answer?

Best wishes

Chris

Argh So so sorry, My mail linked to this forum has dropped due to domain change, I have been so busy rebuilding scary-monsters.org I havent checked in for a couple of weeks. Please check your PM now. and use leigh@scary-monsters.org in future. Thanks.

All interested Scary-Monsters.org is nearly back online fully (just a couple of days now) after a complete redesign/rebuild from scratch. once im finished i will have a little more time to scroll back though here and update my links. ;)

Argh So so sorry, My mail linked to this forum has dropped due to domain change, I have been so busy rebuilding scary-monsters.org I havent checked in for a couple of weeks. Please check your PM now. and use leigh@scary-monsters.org in future. Thanks.

All interested Scary-Monsters.org is nearly back online fully (just a couple of days now) after a complete redesign/rebuild from scratch. once im finished i will have a little more time to scroll back though here and update my links. ;)

Thanx. Have sent my mail to you. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Poor Harvey! The grid is coming out of his forehead :)

I hope you'll finish him. It's a nice piece.

Yes, human skin is hard. Never gave a try so far.

He he Yep he's crying out to be finished but i just havent had time to take another look. Thanks for the comments everybody.

WIP of game work im doing -

post-1266-0-89762400-1299443368_thumb.jp

post-1266-0-83762900-1299443381_thumb.jp

Hope you like, Feels like ages since i have picked up 3d-Coat I missed just hacking stuff out in Voxels. Getting some rythmn back with this guy though he's quite fun. Gotta love Hideous Buzy retopology fun and games! :yahoo:Thanks for looking.

• Advanced Member

He he Yep he's crying out to be finished but i just havent had time to take another look. Thanks for the comments everybody.

WIP of game work im doing -

post-1266-0-89762400-1299443368_thumb.jp

post-1266-0-83762900-1299443381_thumb.jp

Hope you like, Feels like ages since i have picked up 3d-Coat I missed just hacking stuff out in Voxels. Getting some rythmn back with this guy though he's quite fun. Gotta love Hideous Buzy retopology fun and games! :yahoo:Thanks for looking.

Nice character. Love the placement of the head.

• Contributor

Yeah! I like the Dark Crystal Skesess feel

in the body shape!

Oh Skesess were brilliant wernt they, gotta be possibly the darkest villain types in a childrens film ever, Walking vulture carcasses.

post-1266-0-99288600-1299535933_thumb.jp

Now im gonna have to go watch that movie again. :rolleyes:

Thanks for words guys.

Update this tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Makes me wonder what the females look like. :clapping:

Yep Gotta wonder, Maybe from an egg? but what came first?? :unsure:

Update and final render in Marmoset T-bag -

post-1266-0-39484100-1299766384_thumb.pn

3k tris and a 2k map, however we use 1k version for game with minimal loss

100% 3d-coat

• Advanced Member

Yep Gotta wonder, Maybe from an egg? but what came first?? :unsure:

Update and final render in Marmoset T-bag -

post-1266-0-39484100-1299766384_thumb.pn

3k tris and a 2k map, however we use 1k version for game with minimal loss

100% 3d-coat

Cool!! What is that Maoset T Bag never heard of it? I'am going around asking alot of ?? today..

Nice job on the ship texture and modeling as well.

• Contributor

A new little Ship, Fighter Flea

-

post-1266-0-96306100-1300731280_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-64669400-1300731411_thumb.pn

@ Scott P, Marmoset Toolbag is a Realtime render engine based of the marmoset Game Engine. Its really a very good little tool for Live previewing your work in an actual nextgen game environment.