3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

• Contributor

UV Vert Live feedback allows you to intuitively shave vert count down.

Dalarian fighter now comfortably fit into 130 vert with 140 tris -

post-1266-0-24758200-1302798465_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-52500500-1302798483_thumb.pn

Need to just tweak texture a little where projection failed at baking but Im so happy with this addition. "little things' little minds" I know :p:

• Contributor

Just to finish day off a quick 45min sketch to play with New brushes (but i did end up using only smooth and build) to get my head away from Math and Vertex politic.

He's just a bit of fun really but i could not help but think about the cancer man from the X Files for some reason?? -

post-1266-0-62274000-1302805573_thumb.pn

Hope you like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi Leigh - its been a while since frequenting the forums here - good work as always, especially like the skull studies as they fall into my own obsessions with bones.

Hope I see more soon -

PS was the colour horse image rendered from within 3DCoat?

• Contributor

Hi Jake, Thanks for stopping by, Always nice to hear from you, Yep Bones and muscles indeed are becoming a bit of an obsession with me too, Facinating that something so beautiful is hidden away under all that flesh.

Render was done as Garagarape suggests in Marmoset. I use a combination of Rendermapping and painted texture to achieve a nice detailed result at low cost. Normal map can then be employed over top to enhance things, you can then lessen the amount of the Rendermap blend dependant on whether normal map is to be used or not.

@ Garagarape Thanx :-) get sculpting some more i like watching you work develop.

On another note, I recently developed stupid condition called 'Restless Leg Syndrome' and im really struggling to sit at computer for sculpting periods. Im assured that my body will get used to this feeling but currently it makes me feel a little Sick and Frustrated. Anybody else suffer from it?? Apparently its quite a common ailment.

• Advanced Member

Loving the skulls.

Just a thought but if your having trouble sitting and sculpting, you could perhaps try standing and sculpting. Its a new thing or something, set up a stand on your desk so the monitor and tablet are at the right height and away you go(or you could buy an adjustable desk, but thats kind of expensive).

Thats what I'm going to attempt to do, knock some bits of wood together etc. Its supposed to be healthier.

• Contributor

Oh Its not a sitting thing, Its more of a get up and doo something else thing to keep busy while the tooth ache in my legs keeps on aching. Its a bizarre sensation actually. it just makes you wanna get up and stretch, Go for a walk or smack your legs with a stick till it goes away (which it does'nt really). Perhaps hooking a treadmill up to a wacom tablet and screen is the answer.

Anyways thanks for input guys.

For a good while now I have been standing at a desk with regular sitting intervals.

Another thing that most CG artists and general computer folks don't do - Regular EXERCISE! I know that's a bad word for most computer nerds, but it can be the difference between becoming obese and/or having many other health issues (including diabetes, poor eyesight, neck, back, hip or leg pain, RSI, and so much more) or staying fit and healthy. Just my two bits.

• Contributor

Yup I should excersise more thats certain. Cheers Javis.

OK Moving on from that, I managed to sit Still and build something cool. Softimage plugin coming up heres a little taster, Basically you can generate a face based on skull. there be a little more to it than that but here are some shots -

post-1266-0-22147800-1305245460_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-79721900-1305245446_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-15010100-1305245424_thumb.pn

Think of it as a kinda Back to front FaceGen for the 'Tired of FaceGen' artist.

When its finished it will yeild fully usable meshes and allow you to use your own edgeflow for top Skin Layer (Not shown here). Hope you like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Update on Facial Generation project -

Full surface done along with 40% of base controls -

post-1266-0-83792600-1306393015_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-90404300-1306393018_thumb.pn

Finer nasal control -

post-1266-0-72963000-1306393655_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-38656700-1306393657_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-70541200-1306393658_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-58637800-1306393660_thumb.pn

Deforming surface using these underlying structures really is more intuitive than messing around with a simple morph based system like Facegen. I'll keep updating and hopefully have something to play with soon.