3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

FRUSTRATION - Nice little play around this am to then the inabillity to exit render mode strikes with a vengence and I lose this detail. Really cmon fix that. happens every time, & makes Render room useless to me, amd many others no doubt.

Anyway here is a screengrab of the Render at maybe 17k rays (as im hammering down on the ESC key to try and exit render mode). I gave up at around 24k rays as i have work to do so I lose the sculpt , and learn a lesson again.

post-1266-0-54544600-1315809376_thumb.pn

Nice doodle Leigh. :drinks:

What makes me more frustrated: To get this result in zBrush you just switch to one of the dozen of great realtime shaders there... and don't need to wait for any rendering.

Best wishes

Chris

PS: Unfortunately I am too busy to post some new doodles. But I hope I will get some time soon to do it.

• Contributor

Hi Chris, Yes I have mentioned this Many times, Even in conversation with Andrew. I believe the standard shader is mainly used because it gives a Good overall (Consistent) look to the finished work.

@ Garagrape I already started painting dead

sad.gif

But For you I have included the egg.

post-1266-0-15520700-1315919284_thumb.pn

Maybe if 'the Powers that be' are reading this then we could request a small overhaul of the render room that gives us a 'Limit Rays' option and a render material option using the Sub objects panel for selection.

Silly little useful idea that might help illustrators and users all over. who knows??

Personally I would Love to give a painted object the lamblight it would be Perfect RT Skin look.

• Advanced Member

Ha ha! Great, I just couldn't breath for a minute

and my abdominal muscles pains because I laugh too much.

Can't catch up with the technical talk.

I'm going to read it from the start once more.

I eat fried eggs on sunday morning (the only day it is

possible to relax with family). I'm gonna think of you

next sunday :)

• Contributor

This rendering problem is terrible.

Didn't use 3dCoat rendering since the goblin figure...

I guess I'm not a good tester. guilt...

Shame on you. ohmy.gif

In All seriousness I havent touched it either, But i decided I would for a test on this head. and Like i say i lost work so Got annoyed and posted as such.

Maybe if 'the Powers that be' are reading this then we could request a small overhaul of the render room that gives us a 'Limit Rays' option and a render material option using the Sub objects panel for selection.

Really the limit should be on how much resources the render room has access to. No matter how hard it works there should always be resources set aside for things like the Esc key.

• Advanced Member
To get this result in zBrush you just switch to one of the dozen of great realtime shaders there... and don't need to wait for any rendering.

Hey, not just like this... you need some more tricks for a decent render, even so, the ray tracing like render in 3dcoat is more accurate. Watch cast_shadows.

• Contributor

Hey, not just like this... you need some more tricks for a decent render, even so, the ray tracing like render in 3dcoat is more accurate. Watch cast_shadows.

Definitely Shadows Far superior. So it would be nice to use materials in the render room. and get all those extra bells and whistles.

• Advanced Member

Leigh,

Im doing fine thanks. Still sculpting as are you. ;)

I was intrigued by the developments in dynamic tesselation named liveclay but it seems the latest updates are not yet applied yet in the latest released beta's.

Since I was here I decided why not say hi. :D

Fun to see something hard surface from you!

3dioot

• Contributor

Thanks for input Peoples. Its just a test bake to see how things come through currently. Abranger did post to say the Options you specify are not here in the Merge per pixel with NM function and that is correct, but i guess his post got lost or removed.

Im lazy and will probably just use the Occlusion bake as a base for my texture. Painting out any harsh occlusions.

@ Spiraliod. I suppose what i could do to be more precise would be to retopologse to a more conventional Quad flow and then Merge for microvert to get displaced geometry (not an option with this low Tri topology, would be far too messy) then calc occlusion that way. But to be honest Im quite happy with the occluded map that is produced. Id rather get on and paint before I loose momentum.

I have added a few further tris to better read the Recesses on the Grip. I will post som more shots when im closer to completion.

Thanks again for input.

• Contributor

Hey Leigh, that assault rifle came out nice. I'm guessing the weapon was done in 3d coat?

I also like that previous disembodied head, reminds me of Doom 3.

Cheers Alan, Yeah I must admit it does look a lot like Doom3 commado But it really was just a doodle I guess Im inspired by ID alot.

@ Space painter I guess that's a compliment thanks. I did enjoy it though. as a technical excercise im now making the 1st person Version for the Player not just a Pickup weapon. I will post once it ready. really a test to keep things as Close as possible to High res with Shading and Pinching. im learning so much from it.