LJB

Leigh's Sketchbook

859 posts in this topic

I can totally understand your point LJB, I am having the same thoughts about voxels (I am having the same discussion on my thread) I am just not getting the same kind of precision I get on polygon sculpting.

Again, I loved the voxel workflow! It's fast and powerful, but maybe it is not suitable yet for a finished, precise, highly detailed model.

Still, it's an awesome software and promising technology.

Exactly, Getting there and great achievement so far. I am really enjoying working with it, fitting it in where i can.

For "precise, highly detailed" I presume you mean the use of reference images to get a specific character. If this is the case (as it is with me), some experience with the use of same in Voxels is in my near future. My first thought was to make a suitable reference mesh in C4D and import it to 3DC for finishing. After getting a good look at voxels and the fact that reference images are usable in the voxel mode, I think the goal of a "reference mesh" may be faster in voxels than in polygons.

No I think Pedro is coming from the same place as me on this we just dont get the same crisper higher level finsh from the sculpting tools and Voxels. as we do with poly sculpting. Creases and sharp folds are really tricky. and to get voxels to a hig enough level to work it needs a monster of a machine i think, without the possibillity of stepping down a level.

As the tool is now,doing clean high frequency detailing isn't possible.

The way the tessellation works gives always isotropic density,this is good,but to have really sharp details probably you need a huge polycount,too huge for any hardware system.

To make an example,for a head,I think that even with 8 millions you can't do really sharp details(pores and skin stuff).

For medium frequency and low frequency feature, I think that volumetric sculpt is really good.

As the tool is now,doing clean high frequency detailing isn't possible.

The way the tessellation works gives always isotropic density,this is good,but to have really sharp details probably you need a huge polycount,too huge for any hardware system.

To make an example,for a head,I think that even with 8 millions you can't do really sharp details(pores and skin stuff).

For medium frequency and low frequency feature, I think that volumetric sculpt is really good.

exactly

For anyone who is interested I include a Sculpting aid, which you can DL HERE

it is simply a much simplified version of the skull I built previously and is to be used to first deform with the move tool (To re proprtion) then Sculpt onto for correct facial form as illustrated with previous examples.

Skull_Base01.jpg

Skull_Base02.jpg

Feel free to use as you like, I will make a Video to illustrate the process if interested?

1 person likes this

its in .3b format though you'll need 7zip to unpack

You're a very accomplished sculptor! Very nice work.

I see a number of points you made about 3DC, and it would be great if you could put in some feature requests with what you think would make it better, in the feature request section so that Andrew sees it (I know he has seen this thread of course), with specific information on what you feel would tighten up voxels.

I hope you do, it will help make 3DC that much better. :)

You're a very accomplished sculptor! Very nice work.

I see a number of points you made about 3DC, and it would be great if you could put in some feature requests with what you think would make it better, in the feature request section so that Andrew sees it (I know he has seen this thread of course), with specific information on what you feel would tighten up voxels.

I hope you do, it will help make 3DC that much better. :)

Thank you kindly. I am still exploring the realms of 3D coat, Many features I am not familiar with. I will be glad to input in the request thread.

I have quite a bit of free time over the next week my major client has broken his contract with myself and I am awaiting monies until i commence my work so I will spend the next few days exploring all possibillities and pushing further forward my 3D coat experience.

Here is something i roughed out this morning.

Body_WIP.jpg

Body02_WIP.jpg

1 person likes this

Thank you kindly. I am still exploring the realms of 3D coat, Many features I am not familiar with. I will be glad to input in the request thread.

I have quite a bit of free time over the next week my major client has broken his contract with myself and I am awaiting monies until i commence my work so I will spend the next few days exploring all possibillities and pushing further forward my 3D coat experience.

Here is something i roughed out this morning.

Body_WIP.jpg

Body02_WIP.jpg

The start looks very good. I am corious for further progress.

Added a face

AddHead.jpg

1 person likes this

e214 - Thanks

Jokermax - Thanks also

Here is an update Im pramarily working on the body its from and proportion. I have increased voxel level once already to work tighter on the face but I will work at this level b4 doing so once again. for that reason Hands are yet to be addressed. Feet have been roughed but are also waiting on upping the voxel level.

Male_Torso.jpg

Please let me know how you feel he is coming?

- leigh

1 person likes this

Just as a tip eventhough its probably not the most pleasant workflow.

You can use the split tool to split a part of your sculpt on a new layer, then increase resolution on that layer only.

Later on as you increase the resolution on your "main" layer you can merge them back together again without any problems.

Very nice works btw. I've been following along silently. :)

3dioot

More Updates Still working at the 2nd increased level.

Male_Torso_02.jpg

Male_Torso_03.jpg

Male_Torso_04.jpg

- leigh

1 person likes this

For creases I am finding that even at Low levels a tight crease can be achived by using a hard edged pen and smoothing either side at full strength. Once i finish this fellow I will record a couple of videos, maybe to illustrate what I am finding. Maybe this will help with my technique as others will be able to comment on how im actually achieving.

One thing i do notice and im not sure if others have found it is I would like two seperate smooth pens. Like ZBrush if you smooth as you work it remains consistent with the same effect, but in 3dcoat when you change your brush/pen the smoothing becomes effected but the alterations you make to the pen your working with. Meaning when you stroke to smooth you havr to go back and setup smoothing again if you modified your current pen a great deal.

Corrected_Rotation.jpg

Bit more work on forearms to correct the look of the rotation to wrist.

1 person likes this

Sorry E214 and 3Dioot I got myself into a posting frenzy there! There were a couple of things I wanted to correct that did not look right.

3Dioot - Thanks for the tip I can see i may chop off his haed and start again on the face using that approach.

Mind you I want to see just how far I can push the detail in a single Voxel sculpt b4 i try any tricks.

Last update tonight -

Body_WIP_02.jpg

1 person likes this

Last update tonight -

Body_WIP_02.jpg

You've got the touch! :clapping:

e214 - Thanks

Jokermax - Thanks also

Here is an update Im pramarily working on the body its from and proportion. I have increased voxel level once already to work tighter on the face but I will work at this level b4 doing so once again. for that reason Hands are yet to be addressed. Feet have been roughed but are also waiting on upping the voxel level.

Male_Torso.jpg

Please let me know how you feel he is coming?

- leigh

Very nice. I have the feeling, the breast-muscles are a little bit too strong. The man looks old, and maybe he isn't as fit as a young man. ;)

A tip: be carefully with the voxel-level. Try to keep disciplined and skulpt the whole model step by step. Keep away from detailing parts too early. I made the fault and started too early with details, before I defined other important parts. Later, it was hard to expand the model on a higher voxel level. Hope Andrew will find a way to build "voxel level history" into 3DCoat.

Tony Nemo - Thank you

Taros - Thanks i agree about the voxel level for now (I will explain further below what i mean by that) and intend to remain at this level until i finish with alterations to form unfortunately the previous level was a little too raw for muscleture which is why i initially moved up one but at this level i am comfortable and performance is not effected.

Though let me voice my thoughts here on this front, Now in poly sculpting it does make sense to keep resolution low as form bulding is easier, but where topology is no longer a constraining issue, maybe a different appoach is required with this new tech. In Z-Brush for instance many of the brushes change drastically dependant on the resolution of the mesh being worked, for instance there is no real use for sculpting brushes at lowest levels, with predominent workflows using move rake and standard to build form. My way of thinking is resolution of voxels is really only there to aid performance, if Andrew can further optimise performance at higher resolution I no longer see a need to keep things low for roughing out shape. I have longed for a digital medium that closer mimicked natural material so i find voxels interesting for that reason. so I feel the stepping up and down levels may be a thing of the past in the future (Currently though agreed performance is the issue. So maybe in that respect if Voxel leveling (forward and back) proves technically impossible optimisation of higher level performance should be more a priority?

With the increase in voxel levels practially all the brushes behave more predictably so making a higher level in my opinion more comfortable to work in. but I reiterate that performance is the main issue for me, currently.

3Dioot - that splitting workflow works beautifully I wanted to scale down and rotate the head upward and the pose tool proved tricky as the selection of the specific tringles was difficult. simple splitting the head and scaling /rotating ment i could merge it back and knock out the difference very quickly. This is a good alternative to deforming using the pose tool if selection is proving tricky. Thank you

The more I use 3D Coat i can see more and more that quite a different approach is required with voxels, a new way of working with the digital sculpting medium, new workflows to achieve results. Definitely a revolution worth embracing!!!

Updated with better proportioning, Size of head had big impact of look and seemingly age of characterI feel now this is muych better proportioned than b4.

Male_Torso_05.jpg

1 person likes this