LJB

Leigh's Sketchbook

859 posts in this topic

SpacePainter - Thank you Again

3Dioot - Thanks, Please share your thoughts on brushes PM maybe we should get our heads together on that!

Paint Guy - Thank you, Please keep up the banter I will add to it As and when i come up with something new.

Got a little carried away on the open mouth sculpt and he turned into the devil? - leigh

post-1266-1246920870_thumb.jpg

SpacePainter - Thank you Again

3Dioot - Thanks, Please share your thoughts on brushes PM maybe we should get our heads together on that!

Paint Guy - Thank you, Please keep up the banter I will add to it As and when i come up with something new.

Got a little carried away on the open mouth sculpt and he turned into the devil? - leigh

I think we all would enjoy watching you play. ;)

I love the face expression. Really nice. :good:

The horns are looking a little bit strange, but: why not?! :)

I think we all would enjoy watching you play. ;)

I'm putting up 11 videos I made this afternoon see tutorials section.

New Doodle -

Face5.jpg

1 person likes this

Playing around with the pose tool and lasso, here is my first test pose.

Test_Pose.jpg

lots of cleanup required (well it aint a substitute for rigging thats for sure) but I still prefer it to transpose in ZBrush.

Really nice. Highly dynamic. Like it very much.

I have the same problems with my windrunner-charakter. But it is better than the first tries and I make good progress.

Taros - Thank you, I want to try and get the weight transfer right here, or it will ruin the pose! Using the pose tool is way too tricky at high resolution of voxels, and this make it only viable depending on how you want to use the result. Let me explain my thoughts. Topological symetry will neve be possible with Voxels so posing here will only really work in early stages if you intend to try and keep things symetrical. Also the fact that things need a whole bunch of clean up means that posing is best left to early stages. Here with this character he is as close as i would like to go b4 posing. any higher and detail will be lost.

On another note regarding functionallity of pose tools rotation, view based rotation does not function correctly, it should when view based is selected no longer lock the axis of rotation because this makes it tricky to judge which axis to manipulate meaning it is not based on view at all. What i would like to see is when using view based rotation a single double ended arrow perpendicular to the viewport this would illustrate proper view based pose rotation.

Taros - Thank you, I want to try and get the weight transfer right here, or it will ruin the pose! Using the pose tool is way too tricky at high resolution of voxels, and this make it only viable depending on how you want to use the result. Let me explain my thoughts. Topological symetry will neve be possible with Voxels so posing here will only really work in early stages if you intend to try and keep things symetrical. Also the fact that things need a whole bunch of clean up means that posing is best left to early stages. Here with this character he is as close as i would like to go b4 posing. any higher and detail will be lost.

On another note regarding functionallity of pose tools rotation, view based rotation does not function correctly, it should when view based is selected no longer lock the axis of rotation because this makes it tricky to judge which axis to manipulate meaning it is not based on view at all. What i would like to see is when using view based rotation a single double ended arrow perpendicular to the viewport this would illustrate proper view based pose rotation.

I made the same experience and am not happy with the current status. I see the same problems: Posing is possible only in a early state - but early posing costs the possibility for symmetry skulpting... a tricky situation. The solution is only to export the ready skulpted object and rig it in a animation software. Then, if necessary, reimport and make corrections. A science for itself... :)

Regards

Chris

Finally a bit of actual work in here!

Im modelling a character for Discovery Channel and did some of the primary texturing in 3d Coat so I'll share him here.

Discovery_Final.jpg

Dicovery_OL.jpg

Discovery_HL.jpg

Unfortunately i did not finish texturing in 3D Coat but this was more due to my inexperience using it to texture instead i finished in Mudbox. I will brush up 3D Coat texturing and try to intergrate further into my work.

Rendered in XSI BTW, incase your wondering.

[Edit] Whoooooops..... I mean Softimage 8P

Another updat to the Devil WIP

devil_WIP_02.jpg

devil_WIP_03.jpg

devil_WIP_04.jpg

last update of the evening-

or should i say morning! :blink:

post-1266-1247706760_thumb.jpg

Nice.

I am interested, how well it works to simple quadrangulate the voxel-object, save it with uvws in obj format. Then bake voxel information to a normalmap and import it to softimage. Maybe I will make some tests too.

Made a start on that test here Is 3dcoat views, I dont have softimage installed here but im heading to the office in 20 or so i will render it out and see how it look. Im not really very happy on the quadrangulation result but if it look good in xsi then it s sure a substitute to decimation master. We will see!!

Quad_HighPolyPaint.jpg

Quad_WireFrame.jpg

Quad_LowPoly.jpg

BTW I really havent tried on the detailing just roughed in ares is all, I feel i get slightly better results with voxel tools than painting tools on detail so eventually maybe i will take this fellow further detail wise, I dont see the point till i know what is happening when i get it into render. I have licenses to Maya and Max also so i will run off some comparisons when i have the time.

Some of you may think that is a little high poly wise but let me remind you that this would just be for still image as a wip shot to client befor retop and painting. to give suggestion of finished result. so high poly in XSI not a problem for static images.

[Edit] For best results using quadrangulation on model with higher detial I think is best to use little or no normal smoothing, which keeps the poly count higher in areas of detail like hands and mouth.

- leigh

Quadrangulation is only very effective from the way I see it using microverts,because you can export mid-hires(or higres) level displaced mesh but you can't from perpixelpainting.It's gonna have a slightly higher polycount than the quadrangulated mesh but if you combine it with a displacement map you'll get a far less messy result than decimation master.

But really if you are using only for illustration directly from voxesl-to decimation master way is faster.

character rocks btw :)

Are you planning to do a full composited shot with background and all?

Thank you!

As to continuing him I think i will take him further yes and render him properly but i will retop him properly first so i get correct edgeflow for detailing to work right. I might even take a previous version and rtop him for rigging, I suppose it depends on how much time i can put down this weekend. Wife and son are away so I could pull a long session of free time work as a workflow practice.

All that you're talking about here is terra incognita for me, hopefully you'll share more of your knowledge about all these subjects; painting, retopo, using photos for texturing, different pipelines to different programs...

Excellent character, deserves some great flaming scene in the background ala Jeroen Bosch.

Excellent character, deserves some great flaming scene in the background ala Jeroen Bosch.

SpacePainter - Thankyou, I was thinking maybe some black feathered wings like this awesome piece by Patrick Woodroffe (one of my main insperations, along with Kirby and Bonner), that should really push the voxel boundries.

post-1266-1247771932_thumb.jpg

Wow great Devil character, very living and impressive!

Tinker - Thank you, I hope to capture more dynamics with the wings.

Space Painter - Yes Willim Blake is also a great inspiration to me and i can see the simalrity to "The great red Dragon and the woman clolthed in the sun" infact all of his Red Dragon and beast works.

Here is the basis of my idea for the wings, well the left wing at least.

Left_Wing.jpg

Left_Wing_02.jpg

The right wing will Spill back and upward to continue the motion I have in the body.

Tinker - Thank you, I hope to capture more dynamics with the wings.

Space Painter - Yes Willim Blake is also a great inspiration to me and i can see the simalrity to "The great red Dragon and the woman clolthed in the sun" infact all of his Red Dragon and beast works.

Here is the basis of my idea for the wings, well the left wing at least.

Left_Wing.jpg

Left_Wing_02.jpg

The right wing will Spill back and upward to continue the motion I have in the body.

If I were you, I would skulpt one basic feather and duplicate it as often as you need it, every feather on a seperate voxel layer. Then I would try to pose them to the right position. After this process, you could merge them all together, if you need it. I think, this way should gives you the most flexibility in 3DC. Don't you think so?

Here in your example we can see, at the latest, that a "multi-vox-layer deformation" function is very important and would simplify our work essentially, sometimes. :(

If I were you, I would skulpt one basic feather and duplicate it as often as you need it, every feather on a seperate voxel layer. Then I would try to pose them to the right position. After this process, you could merge them all together, if you need it. I think, this way should gives you the most flexibility in 3DC. Don't you think so?

Here in your example we can see, at the latest, that a "multi-vox-layer deformation" function is very important and would simplify our work essentially, sometimes. :(

Taros - Yes my friend i completely agree and I have already done so. My only annoyance is transfor tool is a pain cos you cannot (Unless im missing something) reposition the transform axis, Which makes rotation tricky, My first thought was to use seperate layers but due to this manipulation issue i maye just make a mock up of the wing in Silo and rig it out for posing. then when i bring in I can make a quick feather detial brush in psd and detail each feather using the Stamp stroke.

Actually I would not do every feather on a vox layer I would import a prefab feather to a new layer and use place it the manipulate and place manipulate and place, all on that layer, my reason for doing it that way is Vox Large vox tree hirachial merging is not currently possible so I would hate to have to merge each feather, and i would also have the extra work of creating each layer then switching to it.