3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

• Advanced Member

Leigh - great work on the webinar - I enjoyed trying to block out at the same time while you were doing your thing- but you knocked out the model stupid quick - so I had to stop and just sit and watch towards the middle - good job.

I hope you do more, well worth getting up for at 5AM in the morning.

• Contributor
Leigh - great work on the webinar - I enjoyed trying to block out at the same time while you were doing your thing- but you knocked out the model stupid quick - so I had to stop and just sit and watch towards the middle - good job.

I hope you do more, well worth getting up for at 5AM in the morning.

Most definitely doing more had overwhelming positive response, Quick question to you all, Do you understand where I come from with my thoughts on Topologising my work after the intial sculpt right. I saw so many many people commenting on this, but to me this makes perfect sense, Why initially stump yourself and have to plan your topology when the tools ZB offers will let you manipulate polygons against the grain (Belnding sub volumes and such with the clay brush)? what a waste of time?? to me its a big backward step in my creative process. I do hope I can make more people see tools like this, Like this, as alot of my process especailly when Roughoing out form is done like this. First Rough out then Retop then Fine detail. Fastest and definitely in my thinking most free to be creative.

That is of course not to say it cant be done the other way like i said in the webinar, if you need a specific Vert order then fine but chances are alot of time will have already be spent in that vert order/topology creation. and it can become a little constrictive creatively. If I can push this approach a little further people may see the big draw of Voxel sculpting and its topology less Freedom ;-)

See when i do a full body character I use Unified skin rather than the conventional adaptive skinning approach that we so often see (one of the reasons that Z Spheres 2 appeals to me so much) and use the zSphers to lay down most of my volumes and muscle structuring. This is a fast Fast way to prototype a character. I my opinion far quicker than setting to and adaptive skin then sculpt the muscle.

K i see i may have said to much. Lets hold some back for the next weibinars ;-) Lots of work ahead.

• Contributor
LJB:

I caught some of the last part of the webinar, I wish i could have watched the whole thing. I enjoyed what i did see though. Will your webinar be released later so that I can download and watch the whole thing?

It is being composited and the webinar will be realeased as a Free to download content with the Skull prefab and and finished result made available. Check the Kurv website.

We may release a secondary DVD containing webinar with lots of Extra content, Including Race types and Male female sculpts and extra tips but a charge Will apply, this is yet to be confirmed. Understand there is a lot of ZBrush training out there I just want to be sure I offer a Fresher approach. Put it this way Im not going to hold hands and walk people through the ZB software when there is plenty of Free Tutorials out there for that (though I can point in the right direction) what i do want to do is provide High Quality projects that will hopefully inspire people to pick it up and learn it. I always founsd this to be the case when i was learning the ropes.

• Advanced Member

Hi LJB,

Seems like i missed your awesome webinair! :(

I was in France at the time. Visited the Musee Rodin and the Louvre in Paris. Damn what a beautifull sculpts. Im totally inspired. :)

As far as the topic of the webinair/dvd goes. Ive watched quite a few tutorials but have a definite preference for tutorials that teach you actual modelling/sculpting vs so called "this button does this" tutorials. For example the dvd that was released so far of the space suit (or whatever it was supposed to be) was of little interest to me. Not only was the end result not very artistically pleasing but i really dont need a dvd to learn a program. Helpfiles and a bit of experimentation suffice usually.

For you to make a dvd on sculpting which actually teaches artistic skill inside 3dcoat is a great idea (and one i did consider myself at some point). While these allready exist for programs like zbrush and mud i have several myself and you always pick up new forms or techniques from different artists. :)

Im personally not a big fan of Kurv. I dont know what deal they offer you but perhaps its wise to look into gnomon instead. At least your dvd will be in better company there and its obvious they have a better name. I never had problems downloading from them either.

Curious wether i will actually get to see this webinair. If i remember correctly they also promised to release another webinair hosted by a user from this forum and in the end it just became quiet and i never got to see it. If you want to push for a commercial dvd release i wish you all the best and succes in the world but i do hope that "free" sessions will be placed on something like vimeo instead of forcing users to give out their personalia to a company like kurv. Unless you get payed for hosting the webinair under their wing is see no reason for you to sponsor them.

3dioot

• Contributor
3Dioot - Thanks for the advice as always!

Quick free time sketch, toying with some ideas for a creature.

WIOP_01.jpg

WIP02.jpg

WIP_03.jpg

With dentition such as this, an appendage with a small light attached dangling in front of the mouth, is a logical addition.

• Advanced Member

In response to your earlier coment on your workflow for your Zbrush webinar - I agree - conceptualise (PLAY FUN!!CREATE !!!) first then refine the geo with retopology - I am from a games modeling background, I find my digital sculpting work is far too tentative.

One of the reasons I bought 3DCoat was to lift these (self imposed) restrictions to my work - so also looking forward to seeing what comes out of ZSpheres2 as it seems much more voxely approach (if there is such a word).

Yeah good to see some quality art/skill and how to use the app in a tut.

• Contributor

Oh Boy oh boy! Pleaase excuse selfless premotion but I will be Holding a Freebie 3D Coat workshop tomorrow Sat 12/09/09 6pm GMT, disscussing some different techniques and new sculpting features.

Check here for more details http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?sho...amp;#entry29354.

The class will be approx 1 hour and I will free sculpt a Creature (Bust only due to time constraint) Hope to see you there , If not (And it is a bit late in the day) we will put the Video up for all to see on VFX Cast Later.. :-)

• Advanced Member

Thought it would be fun to pop in and say hi but turns out there was a kurv employee sitting in between.

So i hope you enjoyed my silent visit.

Sculpt was nice and fast. Thanks for that.

You did suprise me though. Since when are you perfectly happy with 3dcoat's performance? I guess i have missed the great improvements Andrew has made to the voxel core/tools while i was on vacation. ;)

3dioot

• Contributor

3Dioot - Im sorry to see you feel the way you do (As Layed out on your Ideas thread).

I have though By way of exploring for functionallity, greatly changed the way in which I work using Voxels. I doo still feel that more can be done performance wise/ Tweak wise to things But i currently lack the time to Sit down and Disscuss every little niggle So I Have begun to prioritise my feature requests to Things i require, I do realise that What I say in the webinar could appear a little hypocritical of a few of my prior posts but I also have begun to use the tool in my work on a day to day basis so have made allowances and found new ways approaches in the way in which I use it.

By Example one if not the biggest change in my approaches is this. Most of the time when I start a sculpt nowadays I begin with a degraded volume or work to a much smaller scale, Enabling me to work further and faster with the voxels b4 performance hit occurs. But I do Agree completely that having Optimised expected toolset functionality would greatly improve things. I guess It has taken me a while to move with the tool into my production comfortable zone, which is mostly due to my Currently held licenses of other tools.

Maybe some of my confidence is in the Fact that yourself gave me the idea about scale. Andrew listened and added a little functionallity in the the Vox tree to Visually display the levels at which each vcolume is currently at in realising that and realising how the intital scale and intial voxel density affect your work it is easier to produce voxel sculpts to a higher degree. now as that initial voxel density is constant no matter what Scale you work in Starting smaller and working upward Is a Significant boost over say starting from the large Vox Sphere and scaling your work based on that. In understanding that and the way the Voxel Tris lay down the surface of the volume you then realise the limits of Sculpting with Voxels.

I do think your Ideas (Brush resolution and Resolotionless Actual size Sculpting) are quite Genial But I also understand the tool has to work functionally in a production enviroment in order to continue in developement. Your ideas are quite I think Ground breakin and Very insperational, so Please do not lose interest. Andrew should certainly keep those in mind for the Next 4.0 release. But these kind of alterations Need to be kept for such a release. Not one of the Smaller subsequent updates.

I will continue to request expected functionality, as in Voxel tools and Surface tools, as I have already been doing, but there are so many levels on which People use 3D Coat at already it is very much a join the list of feature requests.

On another more personal note, I will miss our discussions, But I do understand. Take care.

• Advanced Member

Hey LJB

Jumped in a bit late, but definitely enjoyed your demo. Thanks for that.

I'm in full agreement with everything you say pretty much. It wasn't until I stopped just doodling around in 3dc (still doing a lot of that, as it's just so fun!) and started using it specifically with production in mind that I really clicked with the tools and the amazing workflow. I'm all for improving things on a grand scale, but while that is taking place I am very much focusing on the things that improve my production process as well. Most of my recent bug reports and requests have all centered around my use of 3dc in a game studio. The last piece I did from start to finish in 3dc for one of our game characters and the only part of the process I didn't do in 3dc was the UVs. I fully expect andrew will be able to change that as well so that you don't even need to leave the app till you are ready to render or export for a game. Improvements to performance, brushes and the sculpting experience in general will always be welcome too though =]

• Contributor
True, Im always Greatly inspired By Warhammer stuff. Especially Paul Bonner Works He is such a fantastic artist, Most overlooked :(.

Paul Bonner is terrific.I bought the Warzone manual just for his artwork.And as far as warhammer goes he is the genuine pioneer,dressing orcs in American Civil War uniforms and Pirate outfits is genius. If you use the classic WH flow of accessories on your orc chracter,I think you can definitely bring it to completion without any other app.You can compensate the lack of ''skin pores'' with accessories and ornements it would make a great 3DCoat showcase model ex:bones and lacets ect...you know what I mean(I think it is where 3DC truly shines and it hasnt been shown yet)

• Contributor
Hello Leigh, I was surprised by tomorrows topic of your webinar, I thought you were going to do a painting class?

Maybe I misunderstood? Is this also going to be a DVD?

Kind regards, Robert

Hmm... no? Did we not say in the webinar on Sat that we were going to cover the curve tool muscle in a sculpting workshop wed, Then the following wed we have a Retopology workshop, then i think we will be covering texturing in a further seperate workshop. we have had by far the most requests for Retop workshop but we kinda thought the new Curve tool was important to

You worry me, to be honest as I dont want to dissapoint folks.

It has been advertised for some time, so if it has been Misadvertised I'll kick but!! :)

I hope to have it all on a dvd, But I will leave marketing that to Wes (Of coarse i will post here when things are ready) but I will only step in to DVD side if things dont happen sharpish I know there have been problems in past with Kurv, I hope that is behind them.

- leigh

Hello Leigh,

Dont worry, youre not disappointing me. When I thought I heard mentioning painting, I was surprised because it did not make so much sense at this point. But now Im sure I did not hear it right, or Im mixing it up with some other information in my head. Sorry for the confusion! I heard about the download problems at Kurvs, but when I bought Javis tutorial from there, everything went very smooth, so hope your webinar will also be for sale somehow. Count me in for tonight, I will be there.

Regards, Robert

• Contributor
Tony, Howitzer - Thank you both

If we can imagine that this little fellows source of ignition has been relocated from throat to another area. This does however create an Unfortunate by-product. :pardon:

It's carbon footprint probably varies with diet.