3DCoat Forums

• Reputable Contributor
Actually, UAC should be stripped out of windows and a better solution put in place or sought after. It's worthless rubbish. All it ever does it cause problems. Frankly, I have it turned off and don't ever plan on using it.
My sentiments exactly. In fact, it's that element alone that gives Apple ample opportunity to poke fun at the pudgy Windows/PC geek in those commercials. :)

Google search "disable UAC" and you'll find instructions how to do so

• Contributor
new features fast

or

new features, but with videos explaining how to work them (and not so fast at all)

The new features Andrew has added are without doubt great additions to 3D Coat.

That said, I would actually like a bit of time spent on what is already available before new features are added. I love 3D Coat very much as a tool but im feeling a little dispondant moving forward with using it. Let me explain my thoughts.

What Im seeing is alot of new developments b4 areas that need tweaking, Optimisation and finalisation are finished.

All these new features then have to be tweaked optimised leaving less time as a whole to be spent on optimisation of what already exists.

I was impressed with V3 when it came out initially as much of the jumble that was within the interface and toolset had been cleared and it no longer felt like many different application clinging together. This was when I started seeing the potential and power that the application has to offer.

Voxels are great but can currently only be taken so far (if you feel the need to query this then you really have not pushed them to the limit yet). What about Pens and toolset tweaks along with scale and implimentation of tweaks needed to Voxel interface to make working largescale in Voxels more viable? There is a big Grey area clouding Scaling and resolution here that needs to be explored further no?

Retop and texturing is currently the tools strongest point, but we have many of the same items in many different menus that all seem to do something similar but slightly different? is there any wonder people get confused, and ask the same questions over and over? Taros' recent thread about Texture Baking is a prime example of multiple entries in menus that do slightly different things dependant on what your currentley working on.

Just devoting more time to making tools funtion in a more orthadox way (By that I mean expected way) would be a god send. Im not by any means sayiong other tools have got things right and 3d caot is failing. But many of the workflows feel confused. Thiungs are staring to get Jumbled again and maybe Step back and see how everything flows together as a tools and spend a little time making things more coherent, b4 it becomes jumbled.

So thats my 2 pence. I hope this does not annoy people too much but please at least hear my points. If time was spent more on these areas Ironing out workability and Voxels workflows I Would gladly pay Double (At least) for this product, as it would be worth every penny. :clapping:

I'm not sure about the UAC thing, but I think things can be a lot simpler if 3d-coat didn't require administrative rights to run.

Like I said, I have an admin account, and a standard user account for everyday use. So it's the same setup as in a Linux system, no need for UAC if you do things this way. But microsoft gives users an admin account by default so they need UAC to make an admin account secure (which is a mistake).

That's why this requirement to run 3d coat as admin is bothering me. It's the only program on my system that behaves like this. Just move the folders (that 3d-coat needs to make changes to) outside the program files (maybe it's a temporary folder or something), put it on the user profiles, problem solved. No need to mess with administrative rights, it's that simple.

I don't get why we have this "SetAdminShortcut.exe" in the instalation folder either.

If the program runs in a limited account, there's no need for this kind of thing, and UAC will never be a problem to 3d-coat. Even if UAC is stupid thing from microsoft.

• Advanced Member

That said, I would actually like a bit of time spent on what is already available before new features are added. I love 3D Coat very much as a tool but im feeling a little dispondant moving forward with using it. Let me explain my thoughts.

I agree :yahoo: . Maybe take break from adding new small stuff. Maybe have a poll on which major feature is lacking and concentrate on that. As of now when new builds are made, either new bugs are introduced, old features get broken, old bugs return. Just like any software I guess. The good thing about being in constant flux is there's no warez of 3dc since I doubt they would want to crack something that is in constant rapid development :clapping:

I'm not sure about the UAC thing, but I think things can be a lot simpler if 3d-coat didn't require administrative rights to run.

Like I said, I have an admin account, and a standard user account for everyday use. So it's the same setup as in a Linux system, no need for UAC if you do things this way. But microsoft gives users an admin account by default so they need UAC to make an admin account secure (which is a mistake).

That's why this requirement to run 3d coat as admin is bothering me. It's the only program on my system that behaves like this. Just move the folders (that 3d-coat needs to make changes to) outside the program files (maybe it's a temporary folder or something), put it on the user profiles, problem solved. No need to mess with administrative rights, it's that simple.

I don't get why we have this "SetAdminShortcut.exe" in the instalation folder either.

If the program runs in a limited account, there's no need for this kind of thing, and UAC will never be a problem to 3d-coat. Even if UAC is stupid thing from microsoft.

plese use these links to avoid UAC problms:

With CUDA, 32 bit

With CUDA, 64 bit

Without CUDA, 32 bit

Without CUDA, 64 bit

What Im seeing is alot of new developments b4 areas that need tweaking, Optimisation and finalisation are finished.

All these new features then have to be tweaked optimised leaving less time as a whole to be spent on optimisation of what already exists.

I was impressed with V3 when it came out initially as much of the jumble that was within the interface and toolset had been cleared and it no longer felt like many different application clinging together. This was when I started seeing the potential and power that the application has to offer.

Voxels are great but can currently only be taken so far (if you feel the need to query this then you really have not pushed them to the limit yet). What about Pens and toolset tweaks along with scale and implimentation of tweaks needed to Voxel interface to make working largescale in Voxels more viable? There is a big Grey area clouding Scaling and resolution here that needs to be explored further no?

Retop and texturing is currently the tools strongest point, but we have many of the same items in many different menus that all seem to do something similar but slightly different? is there any wonder people get confused, and ask the same questions over and over? Taros' recent thread about Texture Baking is a prime example of multiple entries in menus that do slightly different things dependant on what your currentley working on.

Just devoting more time to making tools funtion in a more orthadox way (By that I mean expected way) would be a god send. Im not by any means sayiong other tools have got things right and 3d caot is failing. But many of the workflows feel confused. Thiungs are staring to get Jumbled again and maybe Step back and see how everything flows together as a tools and spend a little time making things more coherent, b4 it becomes jumbled.

So thats my 2 pence. I hope this does not annoy people too much but please at least hear my points. If time was spent more on these areas Ironing out workability and Voxels workflows I Would gladly pay Double (At least) for this product, as it would be worth every penny. :clapping:

Yes, I agree. I plan to make 3.01 release around 15 August. I will open thread "Must fix before 3.01" and will look there very frequently.

Why 15 August? Almost all staff if in vacation (but me). They will be back 11 August.

Big features like multiresolution or painting with color over voxels of voxel freeze can't be implemented before 15.

So my main purpose is to make all stable and possibly make not so big requests. The list of possible (but not guaranteed) improvements:

- ABF++ in unwrap tool

- Create pen from curves control

- Make baking 100% good, finish color baking (this will be done anyway)

- maybe something forgotten?

Also I can improve brushes if you will help me and push me in right direction.

Totally agree.

I don't know how much time the guys at pilgway have to rework and polish the implemented features till the next release in the middle of this month, but it is a very important point. I think that you can already make very good work with the current release, but it is true, that some of implemented features are only the "tip of the iceberg" and needs to be finalised.

So what I can say currently is: Stop implementing new features and begin to clean up and optimise the current tool.

One example: Please, bring all the texture dependent export features together into one window or one menu.

Beyond that: Look for similar workflows or "tool families" and reflect how to bring them together or how to give them the "same work depented functionality". I am shure, a lot of people would help you to do that.

What I mean with "work depented functionality"? I will try to use a simple example to explain it:

If I am in the texture paint tab, then I have a graphic toolset on the left. Icons for draw, airbrush, freeze etc.

What I expect: When I switch to voxels, I have see a similar icon menu on the left, but the menu have to match to the voxel tab area. Some tools are faded out and new tools appear.

And the same should happen with the "menu wheel". If I press on the spacebar, there should appear the same menu wheel, but adapted to the tab, where I am working in, in this case: the voxel tab.

The user have to decide: Do I want to have graphical tool menues and tool wheels, represented by icons, or do they have to apper as text?

That is what I mean with the "same work depented functionality".

Hope everyone understand my bad english explaining... (I do my best!) ;)

Regards

Chris

• Reputable Contributor
Thanks, works great now....
Actually, that's the way it works in other 3D Applications, like 3ds Max, Maya & Softimage. When you spin, that's all it's supposed to do. Without locking the Y axis it's totally "Willy"Nilly."

I like it the way it's been done/fixed. Very precise and predictable.

Updated to 3.00.08N

Changes:

- Finished baking shaders to texture in DP mode. The most work was in tweaking shaders setting. Shaders color baking is introduced everywhere - in microvertex baking and texture baking tool.

- Drag&drop for layers done. Layers cam be moved between each other or to trash. Use ALT+drag layer to duplicate layer

- support of triangles in topological symmetry tool for per pixel painting. Till this time only quads was supported correctly.

- Bottom panel for vox tree. It looks similar to layers bottom panel, trash supports drag&drop too. http://bit.ly/mFUxU

- Estimated polycount in merge tool - to get to know how much polygones will appear in scene after merging the object.

- Estimated polycount is implemented for the sketch tool too.

- Important improvement- when object will be merged first in voxel tool user will be asked if initial scale and translaton should be perserved. In so way scale and position of initial object will be preserved on all stages - export raw mesh, retopo object, painted model.

- ortho-projection issues in retopo tool fixed

- Symmetry plane and ALT-TAB issue fixed

- Long paths in input fields will be truncated from the beginning, not from the end. In so way file name will be visible better. In case of truncating hint will show full path. Also I implemented RMB menu in that file control to be able to open file or browse containing folder. It is important for render and baking.

- I made other approach to solve UAC problem - if 3DC is not run as admin by some reason, 3D-Coat will work but show warning at the start.

• Advanced Member
Updated to 3.00.08N

Changes:

- Important improvement- when object will be merged first in voxel tool user will be asked if initial scale and translaton should be perserved. In so way scale and position of initial object will be preserved on all stages - export raw mesh, retopo object, painted model.

Thats awesome! Loving it! Did a small test and worked like a charm. thank you!

• Reputable Contributor
In cinema 4d it works like the old way, if i like to lock it to axis , i just go in to 3d conections control panel.

It works for both ways now, so great work Andrew.

I'm sorry, but if you can lock the y axis in the 3dConnexion control panel, then why did Andrew need to enable it in 3DC? Why not just tell us it can be done that way and save himself some time? Please...enlighten us on just how you lock the y axis from flopping around however it pleases when you twist the knob just to spin the model. Have you seen LJB's videos showing how frustrating it was the "old" way? You LIKE for the model to flounder around on its own? http://vimeo.com/5799753