3DCoat Forums

We have a problem with UVs while re-retopologising...

Our pipeline goes : ZBrush (sculpt) -> 3D Coat (retopologise) -> UV Layout (UVs) -> XNormal (AO/normal bakes) -> 3dsmax (shaders, final tweaks)

Sometimes we need to take our mesh back into 3D Coat a second time, when we see a need for more or less detail in certain areas. When we import our mesh in the retopo section, it starts off with the correct UVs, as set up in UV Layout. As soon as we start working on it, however, all UVs disappear. The UV seams/islands remain but the layout is no longer correct.

Is there anything we can do to 'lock' the UVs?

Thank you for a fantastic product!

(we are currently on V3-00-08N-SIMP64, just about to install P)

Now it is not possible because adding polygones you are changing topology of the mesh.

But, I will take it into account, possibly I will make work with UV more safe.

• Advanced Member

yes, merge tool is very powerful :brush: I made a series of merge meshes too, will upload when i find time.

If Andrew reads this: It would be great to have a tick box for merge tool to use only the normal of the center point of the brush instead of averaging the normals of the whole radius (as an option).

Because its sometimes not possible to merge at the desired normal on busy meshes.

• Advanced Member

Hi,I have a suggestion for the navigation.

I don't know if is allready possible(in this case I'm sorry to bother).

There is a way to rotate only the view in the 2d view plane?

I like the navigation in 3dcoat,but sometimes you can't reach a particular configuration.

I like to do sculpture allready posed,so sometimes for example sculpting an head without a way to rotate the view plane is really hard.

So it's possible to twist the camera axis?

Also for the new merge tool feature it could be cool because it seems that the jaw,pitch and rool are in camera space.

For me navigation is good,but it will be perfect with a rotation slider/icon on the top/right(where are the other navigation controls)that rotate only the twist axis of the camera,it's really important when the model isn't aligned with world axis.

Bye

EDIT:

I have posted this here and not on feature request because is related to the new merge voxel option,where you have rotation control in camera space(I was trying to align some object and I found impossible doing some particular alignment because I can't twist the view).

EDIT:

Some images to make it more clear

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2673/imageplane.jpg

As you can see,you can't align(without changing the pitch setting for the merge),because,no matter how you rotate,you'll never be able to align correctly(at least I wasn't able to do it)

Here is the same image,rotated in gimp 180 degree(I coulded rotate it 25,45,it's only an example),it could be cool having the possibily to rotate in this way.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9106/imageplanerot.jpg

• Contributor

Обнаружил баг с мержем в режиме негатива:

Некоторые объекты мержатся некорректно если в .obj файле присутствует объект _negative. Если негативного объема в файле нет, теже самые объекты мержатся без всяких проблем. Не могли бы вы поправить это, пожалуйста. Да, там у объекта не совсем корректная сетка, но ведь в обычном режиме он присоединяется нормально, так что проблема видимо не в этом. Просто мне приходится часто работать с такими объектами, прошедшими импорт/экспорт/оптимизацию, и этот баг очень мешает.

Спасибо!

Вот пример объекта: buged_obj.zip

Thank you for your answer Andrew.

Perhaps a simple solution : when new verts are created on existing edges/polygons, just create new UVs for these by interpolating adjacent UVs? Verts on entirely new polys could start off as new islands.

I think it would be completely fair to wipe UVs on existing islands if any seams on an island changed.

Now it is not possible because adding polygones you are changing topology of the mesh.

But, I will take it into account, possibly I will make work with UV more safe.

We have a problem with UVs while re-retopologising...

Updated to 08Q (last beta build before 3.1 for tomorrow, linux build will be with 3.1, tomorrow evening)

Changes:

- Great news! Global cavity detection in DP done! It works correctly with external normalmap too.So, condition "more/less on cavity" will work work correctly with geometrical details, displaced details and external normalmap.

- possibility to use smooth in normalmap layer even over seams!

- "Cut through volumes" checker in Merge tool to cut negative volumes through all child volumes.

- Bend tool. It allows to bend object very accurately and wrap around circle or segment. It is close to axial symmetry, but it bends objects instead of cloning. This tool is important for hardsurfacing and extremely useful for jewelry. With Bend/wrap tool you will also be able to twist object too.

- Older version of Hide is enabled too - it is called Cell hide.

- Picking edges in ortho mode fixed (in retopo tool)

- fixed: incorrect baking occlusion from voxels->DP on OSX

- fixed crash on osx/open GL in merge/spike/snake... tools when panorama background was enabled. It was really hard to find & fix it.

- Possibility to create packages on pens for easy redistribution

- fixed: rare crash when changing pens folder

- fixed: incorrect work with negative volumes in merge tool if mesh is open

- fixed deleting material crash

edit: forgot one important feature - see bold letters.

Hello. Forgive me for question but how does cavity detection work? I don't know what it is but Andrew sounds excited about it. :D

In the dropdown box at the top of the screen you'll find the options for "More / Less in Cavity". Checking these will allow painting to only occur inside or outside the Depth of a normal map or other painted depth. I haven't tried it but apparently with microvertex painting it also detects geometry. I've been using it to add dirt and grunge to my Jedi Starfighter in the WIPs area.

Here's a quick example video:

http://screencast.com/t/EoMoNv5PuNE

• Advanced Member

- Great news! Global cavity detection in DP done! It works correctly with external normalmap too.So, condition "more/less on cavity" will work work correctly with geometrical details, displaced details and external normalmap.

Absolutely flipping fantastic. Works really fast with DP painting and normal maps.

Quick questions

1. Have you clamped the Cavity Scale? I would expect that increasing the cavity scale past 5 would increase the cavity size and eventually everything would be covered. At the moment it stops at a certain point and goes no further.

2. Does Cavity Radius work for you? It doesn't seem to do anything on my machine. both here at work and at home.

• Contributor
In the dropdown box at the top of the screen you'll find the options for "More / Less in Cavity". Checking these will allow painting to only occur inside or outside the Depth of a normal map or other painted depth. I haven't tried it but apparently with microvertex painting it also detects geometry. I've been using it to add dirt and grunge to my Jedi Starfighter in the WIPs area.

Here's a quick example video:

http://screencast.com/t/EoMoNv5PuNE

Phil, it looks backward (i.e., "Less in Cavity" gets more grunge in the cavities.

Hey zooming has also been "fixed" it's now nice and smooth even in close quarters. Awesome! :yahoo:

Nice. It's always the little things that make me happy. :)

I am thrill also about the smoothing of normal maps over seams, very good to hear!

• Advanced Member

One odd thing i come across is when i import meshes for either lowpoly or highpoly painting and allowing 3DC to automatically UVmap the imported model. I cannot paint the imported mesh unless i open up the UV editor window, then i can paint in the small UV window. This happens in both the DX and the OpenGL versions.

/ Magnus