3DCoat Forums

Mac Bugs

hannibal

Hi Andrew.

First, congratulations on 3DCoat. I'm now to the program, coming from ZBrush, but it's impressive.

I looked for a BTS and I could not find it so I thought to open a thread to report Mac OS-specific bugs.

- Configuration: texture editor points to photoshop.exe. That doesn't make sense in Mac OS, should point to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3.app or any other version discovered at install time

- Keyboard configuration: "Ctrl" shortcuts should be "Cmd", the native Mac OS way of using shortcuts, the text in the menus should reflect this.

- There is no "Insert" key on the Mac keyboard, that key should be remapped to something that Mac users can access.

- Removing points in retopo requires the use of the "Foward delete" key, the standard Delete key on the Mac should be used. Using the Forward Delete requires the pressure of

fn-Delete on many Mac keyboard.

- In retopo, reassigning the "Brush" tool's keyboard has a glitch. If you assign the tool to the "B" key you will receive a message asking confirmation to override the default

assignment: calling the color picker. Confirm. Close 3DC, restart it. Go to retopo, press "B" and the color picker comes up and then the tool is switched to the Brush.

- In retopo select an external edge of a mash, click on "Extrude", drag, 3DC hangs. This is in both the official release and the beta.

Hope this helps. Maybe we should make this sticky so that other Mac users can contribute.

Cheers!

Good observations, hannibal.

Also, every release of 3D-Coat appears to consume a great deal of CPU time, even when sitting idle in the background. And despite its apparent multi-core optimization, I've yet to see the application harness more than one processor.

3D-Coat running quietly in the background with no documents open on Mac OS X 10.5.7:

coatcpuusage.jpg

I posted the other day about my monitors going black when I opened 3d-COAT. The response was that my ATI 1900XT card was overheating. I tried a few other things, which leads me to believe that is not the case. I run dual 24" monitors set at 1920 X 1080 off a top of the line Intel Mac (I do a lot of video work). I tried setting the resolution to a lower number and 3d-COAT works just fine. It just fails at the top end resolution. I also do a lot of work with Motion and Shake (both are GPU dependent) and my monitors work fine. Could the problem be with the resolution, or the fact that I use two monitors? An Apple Tech told me that he thinks some kind of illegal instruction is being sent from 3d-COAT to my display card which causes the computer to think there is no display card. It is strange that it is only at the top resolution that my monitors go black.