3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Can i ask if...

Tileable voxel mode

http://3d-coat.com/f...ng&fromsearch=1

solve this request ? :)

I tried the test scene that Andrew created just the other day and it works but I had a few issues with it.

When I requested this 'sandbox tiler' it was to be able to utilise all the great plus points to using voxels to create high res geometry for tiling textures AND to streamline the existing workflows.

The problem I had with this scene was that you had to 'drop' objects and merge it with the existing plane. This is the same as dropping a ztool to the canvas in Zbrush, essentially locking it in place. The same thing happens here in 3DCoat. This doesn't make for a very fluid workflow when initially building a model set; as during that early stage you want to be able to move things around in relation to each other.

Ideally the 8 instanced tiles would be created automatically, behind the scenes, and every object (initially) we place in the sandbox could be on it's own voxel layer/subtool. Enabling us to move it around after 'dropping it'.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

There is still no decent way to make tiling textures based on geometry;  not in the same way that this could work so beautifully in 3DCoat.  

Sorry if this is getting a bit like groundhog day round here but I'm going to bump this one last time and give up on this idea for good.

Andrew, any word on this would be fantastic.  Yay or Nay.

thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks Michaelgdrs,  I really hope that one day this happens.  Even though I've moved on from Environments to Character artwork in my day job; I would still find this tool indispensable for personal projects.

A kind request to anyone who posted in this thread, please head over to Trello and sign up if you haven't already to vote this idea up.  the more votes the more likely Andrew will take notice.

https://trello.com/c/37EvLBhs/188-sandbox-tiler-fill-with-voxels

To Andrew,  if you happen to read this again, I would love if you emailed me if you decide to work on this again.  I have a few more ideas that might improve the workflow.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member
On 05/08/2017 at 4:58 PM, ghib said:

More like 'dilapidated hope pit'

Follow this tutorial about exporting Depth along Y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Oo1VPJil4

So you can already sculpt tiling and export in some way.

What you need is create a voxel thin cube and instantiate it around , one you have that set up you can start scultpting your original cube.

tiling1.jpg

tiling2.jpg

tiling3.jpg

The only difficult part is to ge the baking centered with the right dimension and centered on your original 3D voxel piece, to achieve a correct baked tiling texture.

I wish 3D coat would have some option to let us draw the  square bake capture area in Top view mode to make it easy.

Edited by Ratchet

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

My guess the reason why it's not so easy to do is because 3dcoat brushes basically spray pixels  and rasterizes every brush stroke into a texture pixel dimensions or voxel ones.

While it should work more like vector image editor, Illustrator for example, where every brush stroke is an object that could be instantly instanced to necessary offset position.

Moreover with such floating vector objects beneath,  splines and feathered vector shapes with bitmap fill,   you could change final resolution  anytime and what's more important re-shape and re-compose the image.     

An ability to re-compose a tiling texture manually to less visually repeating flow of low frequency details without hi-passing them out altogether is what allows to make a truly natural and good looking surface.     It's what you can't do in Substance Designer where your only option is Random Seed it many times till suddenly it looks more or less ok if you have a luck.   But regularly  any texture done there with some prominent rock or  just any big details   looks cool at close advertising shot but in real 3d scene it's often repeating like hell, up to epilepsy seizure.  

So we still don't have a truly convenient tool for tiling textures, non-destructive and  manually adjustable.   Surprisingly Substance Designer predecessor Map Zone had such ability but they killed the feature because "it was making things slower".

Adobe Illustrator could be a perfect tool too  if they would  support 16 bit depth blending  like Max + Subtract  in between objects  but I bet this will never happen.  Adobe  looks like shifting away from CG pro users toward mass market of casual photographers and web designers . 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 11/22/2017 at 11:50 PM, ghib said:

Thanks Ratchet I already tried this technique and it isn't so nice to use.

I found a simple and easy solution using Blender.

You should be able to sculpt any tileable textures and bake normal map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDTSeHPb2k

One you got your nomal map tileable texture, you can import it in 3D Coat tile painting editor and start painting additionnal details on diffuse and normal map.

Edited by Ratchet
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks for the video but we already have this ability with other sculpting apps and is not really the intention for this feature request.

This advantages for using multiple voxel objects and have them seamlessly tile would be a game changing workflow.  Especially if there were smart baking options like auto creating masks and separate layers for each element with zdepth.. straight to the Paint room and continue to work with the awesome filtering tools in 3DCoat.

Anything else at the moment feels like a cumbersome workaround.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 5:48 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

29.07.20 4.9.56

- Important symmetry addition - "Translation symmetry". It is enabled obly is beta tools enabled. It allows to paint/create periodical structures in space.

41 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

This is the more interesting use imho 

image.thumb.png.88395d43eaa264b4c3a4fffb99d5abc7.png

leave it a 100 if you are at default scene scale, I use scale 100 hence why I need to set step to 1

The tiles from splash screen are good when you use only colour. They cause artifacts as soon as you try to sculpt.
the translation symmetry method above is perfect for sculpting to export depth. No artifacts.