42 posts in this topic

+1

Someday is now. Hopefully. I love this idea too, as long as it also works in the paint room. Ideally it doesn't even have to be an exact square tile, just defined edges that match up. Rectangles and trapezoid shapes should also work. Please get to this for a 4.x update! :-)

Aww YES! I wanted to have something like this for such a long time.

This would make my life so much easier. I thought it would be picked up by various programs once the dynamic tessellation came up.

I really can not explain to myself why it is such a rare pearl still. This really would be a game changer.

I must agree that voxels would be the perfect medium for it though.

Please, pretty please as soon as possible!

Hey guys, weird to see this resurrected. Thanks for supporting this idea and thanks carlosa for adding it to Mantis, something I probably should've done ages ago.

genic; you have no idea how often I've need this tool. It would've made my job so much easier and possibly more fun.

photonvfx: Yeah non-uniform sandbox sizes and corresponding Plane & Mapping would be essential I think.

I've all but given up on it ever getting implemented to be honest as it's now 3 years, 6 months and 14 days since I came up with the idea and unbelievably there still isn't a great option for this type of normal map creation. So frustrating.

The closest thing really is using the Mudbox tiling plane which, if you've ever used it, really isn't that intuitive or versatile. boom boom

I'm afraid this one might be...

They do not for me, no.

i did try the instance trick but it is not what i had in mind at all.

It is actually been around for quite some time and i have been aware of it before i backed this sandbox approach we have been talking about here.

For me the request is still standing.

... Still, not a day goes by where i would not have gotten good use out of such a feature.

Can i ask if...

Tileable voxel mode

http://3d-coat.com/f...ng&fromsearch=1

solve this request ? :)

I tried the test scene that Andrew created just the other day and it works but I had a few issues with it.

When I requested this 'sandbox tiler' it was to be able to utilise all the great plus points to using voxels to create high res geometry for tiling textures AND to streamline the existing workflows.

The problem I had with this scene was that you had to 'drop' objects and merge it with the existing plane. This is the same as dropping a ztool to the canvas in Zbrush, essentially locking it in place. The same thing happens here in 3DCoat. This doesn't make for a very fluid workflow when initially building a model set; as during that early stage you want to be able to move things around in relation to each other.

Ideally the 8 instanced tiles would be created automatically, behind the scenes, and every object (initially) we place in the sandbox could be on it's own voxel layer/subtool. Enabling us to move it around after 'dropping it'.

Time for the yearly bumpety bump.  C'mon Andrew we know you're dying to implement this :)

sandboxMKII_zpsd3bc978f.jpg

There is still no decent way to make tiling textures based on geometry;  not in the same way that this could work so beautifully in 3DCoat.  

Sorry if this is getting a bit like groundhog day round here but I'm going to bump this one last time and give up on this idea for good.

Andrew, any word on this would be fantastic.  Yay or Nay.

thanks.

1 person likes this

AMAZING , good job , idea and execution.

Thanks Michaelgdrs,  I really hope that one day this happens.  Even though I've moved on from Environments to Character artwork in my day job; I would still find this tool indispensable for personal projects.

A kind request to anyone who posted in this thread, please head over to Trello and sign up if you haven't already to vote this idea up.  the more votes the more likely Andrew will take notice.

https://trello.com/c/37EvLBhs/188-sandbox-tiler-fill-with-voxels

To Andrew,  if you happen to read this again, I would love if you emailed me if you decide to work on this again.  I have a few more ideas that might improve the workflow.

Thanks.

Time for the yearly bump.  Oh the shame...

Shame indeed! I blush to realize I had forgotten this gem. Let's hear it for Wrap Around!

One day Tony Nemo, one day.  Though I fear we may be retired by then :)

Oh my gosh I almost forgot to do my yearly bump for this tool.

With appropriate cheeky SandBox image :)

Sandbox_Overgrown.jpg

3 people like this

Post-apocalyptic Pentagon? ;)

1 person likes this

More like 'dilapidated hope pit'

2 people like this