3DCoat Forums

Jakes Sketchbook

Jake_H

Here is Pope at a 100 minutes; it doesn't really look like the reference - and i'd like an additional full hour on him as well as perhaps posing the the head a little.

Its as speedy as I get :(

Hm. If you want to reach the reference, than you are right, the current result don't looks like the bust on the photo. It looks more like a charicature, currently.

Be creative

Chris

• Advanced Member

Hm. If you want to reach the reference, than you are right, the current result don't looks like the bust on the photo. It looks more like a charicature, currently.

Be creative

Chris

right...I think the mouth is a bit to wide compared to your starting point.

Anyhow, well done! :good:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Here is my 3DCoat of the week 2 - sculpted from primitives - cube,cylinder and sphere.

If interested one can see the making of here

http://jak-sketch-wips.blogspot.com/

Probably going to finish him offnext week lunch break- still has loads o problems.

Nice one Jake will keep my beady eye on things :)

Did you get my link the other day to the full-colour printing update at Shapeways? I wanna see one of yours in colour :)

Sheesh I've not created anything in 3DCoat this week, curse you real-life!

• Advanced Member

Cheers Chris_solo, Lucky1 and Digman I appreciate the kind words

Cheers for the printing link Robbie - I will have to finish some work off with decent textures and contact shapeways again - I am also interested in using thier metal printing facilities too - but have to be realistic with my budget.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Well allready broken my new year resolution to post a wip a week :(

Heres an update on a WIP sculpt that I have been working for a while now:

Rendered in Maya - re-learning lighting and rendering mith mental ray + the usual photoshopage.

post-1096-12652876488079_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Hey Jake, Bird skull man looking good.

Ha, Like the statement about Maya, Every time I pick that up its like another re-Learn of the software. Glad to see others feel the same, What i dont get is why with all the Damn money that goes into these softwaresa they dont make them a little more consistent. I mean all the major ones are owned by the same blinking company. Yet so damned different? Keep up the updates. I like seeing your stuff grow.

• Contributor

Hey Jake, Bird skull man looking good.

Ha, Like the statement about Maya, Every time I pick that up its like another re-Learn of the software. Glad to see others feel the same, What i dont get is why with all the Damn money that goes into these softwaresa they dont make them a little more consistent. I mean all the major ones are owned by the same blinking company. Yet so damned different? Keep up the updates. I like seeing your stuff grow.

I think you have hit upon the reason C4D is so popular. :rolleyes:

• Contributor

I think you have hit upon the reason C4D is so popular. :rolleyes:

Well I guess its more as they (They being the big autoD' Monster) to keep the client base as they buy up every darn independent, simply keep things the same. Never the gradual withdrawal or slow integration. Just leave things as they are and continue to develop things in the same line, with the same Ideals. Which is fine But does seem kind of pointless as they now own the majority. Yes Cinema 4D is great I started out with it. But found I had to make the move over to Maya as C4D was not mainstream, and not easily intergarted into Clients pipeleines at the time. This was in 07. Then I took on a major client and Had to retrain myself in at the time XSI as we invested in Face Robot. Which I must say became easily my preference here amoung the many now in use. But recently I have had to walk back through the Maya Door, and it was Not a pleasurable experience. Things just seem so much more long winded here, Not that Im Lazy but anyone who is familiar with softimage and maya will have to agree. Softimage was designed for speed and ease of use. Maya has not really changed for a while. Anyhow This is Jakes Thread and I'll stop my rant.

• Advanced Member

Hi - cheers for the comments - yes I like the where this character is going. (I dont get to post much on the weekends - daddy day care and crap internet at home).

As for rendering I realsie how important it is to show off ones work, and crap render can have a hard time selling a model and agood render can make a crap model look great. I generally work in real time and I never really paid enough attention to rendering - ideally looking at plug an play idiot proof renderer - I have just started playing with the Octane and Indigo stand alone renderers too. Octane is very good but I will need to get a better graphics card to really get full use of it (it needs a new cuda gpu enabled card to render). I also still find 3DSMax an easier renderer - but am tired of switching apps for a supposidly simple tasks- so just set up a re-usable light rig in Maya ( I mostly Maya use for work - modeling and animation).

I also know the Light Wave evangelists out there can also show some really cool(and quick) rendering features of LW which looks pretty easy - but I am just get on with getting some good stuff out of Maya for now.

Caveat:

- Although I'm definitly holding thumbs on seeing where 3D coat takes its rendering engine :brush::yahoo: -the addition of these new lights is great + real time rendering - but would like to be able to manipulate them in 3D space at some point and have more control.

• Advanced Member

very cool model! i wanna see updates of this, i love birds head!!!

here my 5 cents to c4d, its a quite nice tool, but there so many limitations. why is the industry dont use this tool so often -> just about the limitation. it quite nice to make a funny rendering which looks fine. but if you wanna do something amazing, where you need the expand the package you havnt a chance with c4d or its a bit harder like at other tools. so its a quite nice tool, but if you wanna go a bit deeper its impossible. its a good tool for someone who just wanna play a bit, just few checkboxes to click and voila you get a nice rendering. so you dont need a technical background or understanding, its perfect for beginners and peoples which not in need to do something more advanced.

• Advanced Member

Hi

I had to do a quick lunch time scetch/sculpt (50 mins in 3DCoat) - I will post an update on the BirdMan - The sketch is based on a mix of heads from Bridgeman's Life drawing book sketches - I just love the way he describes forms and volumes in his drawn work very sculptural.

post-1096-12662914401029_thumb.jpg

Its Rendered out in 3DCoat and if I played around more with the lights I am sure I could get a better result (It would be awesome if we could save out light rigs for the render room in 3DCoat).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi its been a while since I have posted -

Anyway here is my redition of a (once?)famous person. I will finish him off at home at some stage, part of a work mini challenge that I never finished.

PS: If you were born in the 1980s or any later then you probably wont have a clue as who he is supposed to be.

OOPS I left a clue in the JPG name - damn...

Crits welcome

post-1096-12724259875589_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Hi its been a while since I have posted -

Anyway here is my redition of a (once?)famous person. I will finish him off at home at some stage, part of a work mini challenge that I never finished.

PS: If you were born in the 1980s or any later then you probably wont have a clue as who he is supposed to be.

OOPS I left a clue in the JPG name - damn...

Crits welcome

Nice. Your right about the Once Famous. I can see the resemblance though.