3DCoat Forums

Jakes Sketchbook

Jake_H

• Contributor

Looking nearer all the time, How far are you gonna take is Jake? I like seeing portraits come along It has tpo be one of the Hardest disciplines in 3D. Good Likeness already But I think you can get closer, Low res holding you beack now maybe a good time to Increase? Maybe just increase the Facial area to aid performance??

Keep going. :clapping:

• Advanced Member

Cheers - I tend to go up and down in res (old ZBrush Mudbox workflows die hard) by creating a duplicate at a lower res then move back up in res - ideally want to have his skin pores and minor wrinkles showing up. (Might take him into Zbrush for the extreme details)

LJB - How do you avoid seams with sections which are higher res (but suposidly contigueous mesh) than others? I think you had a vid on this?

It will get there - hopefully post soon with high res update

• Contributor

Cheers - I tend to go up and down in res (old ZBrush Mudbox workflows die hard) by creating a duplicate at a lower res then move back up in res - ideally want to have his skin pores and minor wrinkles showing up. (Might take him into Zbrush for the extreme details)

LJB - How do you avoid seams with sections which are higher res (but suposidly contigueous mesh) than others? I think you had a vid on this?

It will get there - hopefully post soon with high res update

Make a new layer Increase once then use the copy tool on the surface of the Face area and then Use the Negative Build stroke to go in and Knock back the previous Layer (Lower volume) under the New Increased layer. Now sculpt on the Increased layer. It effectively lets you add spots of Higher resolution detail without having the Performance decrease of increasing the entire volume. I got numerous vids up showing the blending process I think on my vimeo channel.

• Advanced Member

Some progession on Charles B - I decided to distract myself by adding a hat and avoided finishing off the face - oh the joys of procrastination :P

post-1096-12736364794069_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the next post on this dude will be super high res (warts pores, wrinkes and all) and in the finished gallery - need to put him to bed.

• Advanced Member

Finished my creature concept sculpt. (seesh that took a while)

Will possibly do a paint over of a posed version for my reel - but this one is going no further - its at level 1 of voxel subdivision so could add detail if needed.

post-1096-12741392624815_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Looong time no post - Anyway a general male anatomy study - I think the head is little big (Or it could be the angle of screengrab/render)- and I need to resolve the back muscles on this guy.

Feedback welcome -

post-1096-12826057290866_thumb.jpg

Very nice. The head is ok in my opinion. The guy is looking like an asian or african kind of man and his proportions are really ok. As soon as you scale the head down, he will look more european or like the african zulu.

• Advanced Member

Cheers Robotbob - its currently at 2979976 triangles.

Cheers Tony - I am going to adjust the figure and use classic proportions of the Vitruvian man.

Cheers Taros - I am probably going to for an african facial proportions since that what I initially knocked up - but coninuing the sculpt with proper reference.

Its funny switching back and forth from ZBrush and 3DCoat - doing similar anatomy studies in both and how different the mediums are - to me the software is the medium.

Later

• 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Its been ages since I have posted on this forum and on my sketchbook.

post-1096-12943625443085_thumb.jpg

A little study of ayoung girl in 3Dcoat - for some reason this one just worked. (might detail up her hair, once I finish some other work off)

post-1096-12943625536556_thumb.jpg

Speaking of other work his is part a of a bigger full body sculpt, based on a painting of a character from Velasques Water Seller of Seville, its in Zbrush but the majority body of the texturing is in 3DCoat, I hope to finish him off in another week or so. More of him can be seen in my WIP and blog section of my new portfolio site here - yay!!! I can say come and look now... as I have cleared out some of the kak.

I also need to finish off my anatomy study soon (see previous post - aargh) - damn work :P - I dont know how you guys are so prolific.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Another facial study (part of my lunch break sketches - I really should kill my other thread):

I think its worth finishing off so hopefully I will post a version in the finished gallery.

post-1096-12967915248446_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Cheers beging to get the idea now - lots of layers and differring resolutions for more detailed parts, still learning from others stuff - have to play with the tinker greenble method at some stage.

Oh yeah what happened to teh toothpaste brush - miss it so... :P

• Advanced Member

Oh yeah what happened to teh toothpaste brush - miss it so... :P

It's been abbreviated to "Paste" now - not a convincing move imo - as it now introduces a possible second meaning to that Button,

especially as there's also a Copy-Button.

Thanks for posting your explorations here and on your Blog, interesting!

Holger

• Advanced Member

Thanks Holger - I tend to run two versions of 3DCoat - one at work with the latest rolling beta updates and the home one which is the standard 3.5 - cheers for the tip on the new name for toothpaste brush.

Jake

• Advanced Member

An update onthe black male head(variant with short hair)- Still needs more detailing (ears are looking a bit lost and softened)- also need to sort out the neck muscles and add the dreads back in. Anyway - this will probably get into "IT'S FINISHED" section next week.

wow 2 posts in two weeks its a record for me...

post-1096-12974083982373_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Its final - not in finished section as I have yet to do a 'pretty render' - so if you do have any feedback or suggested changes pleaselet me know.

Cheers

Great!Very good study. :good:

Im not good enough with anatomy to make proper crits...

maybe make the nose bridge a tiny more "bonier"?

• 2 weeks later...