3DCoat Forums

DVD (Voxel Sculpting Characters) Release Discussion thread

Javis

• Advanced Member
Its getting to be a big problem on both sides.

Fwiw when I downloaded the 3.9gb file I am on a very fast connection able to download win 7 from microsoft in minutes BUT from kurv I downloaded the file once and it was slow. 300kbps for downloading 3.9gb would probably mean it would be slower on other peoples connection and a download as big as that would be better in ftp. I dont know how the resume works from kurv I haven't tried downloading and pausing and resuming again but whenever I downloaded something from the net and closed firefox it would not resume but restart the download from scratch.

Anyway I started watching vid 1,2. Very clear quality!! For 20hrs fit into 3.9gb I'm very pleased. I'm sure I'll learn many functions I never knew in voxels.

I've downloaded Linux distros that were DVD iso and never had an issue... I hate to say it but this is the FIRST time I've had an issue like this....

And for what it's worth I know the frustration of stuff like this as I support Novell Netware and SUSE SLED OE servers for a living... Sometimes even the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry as John Stienbeck wrote...

• Advanced Member

Well... I'm getting ready for bed and thought I would give the link Wes supplied a second try and guess what... It worked... Downloaded in 10 minutes and not the 20 minutes it was taking before... The RAR opened fine...

Thanks Wes, Javis and Kurv technical crew.... You've made me an happy customer....!!!!

5 days past. I'm still waiting for your solution kurv. My only goal is to get the tutorial, others I've no interest.

I've asked 3 times if a temporary FTP account is possible, but you just ignore it and say other things.

OK I can wait much longer if you are too busy.

:)

Chen,

I have replied to every email you sent me. I have not seen another one from you until tonight at 6:30. I was eating dinner, but the kids to be and now I am responding 3.5 hours later. I think that's pretty good customer service in my book.

No we are not providing a temp FTP site for anyone. That is not secure. Part of our job is to protect Javis material as much as we can. A temp FTP site would be irresponsible.

You commented that most in Chine do not have high speed connections. While I can appreciate that and sympathies, why would you order training as a download if you know your connection is not good.

Why does this then fall on my shoulders if you know you don't have good internet connections.

Chen, I will do my best to work with you. But giving anyone FTP access is not the answer.

What we can do is, ship the video to you if you would like to apply the download cost to shipping. We will get the DVD right out to you via post office.

But please don't say you have been waiting 5 days when I replied to you......

Thursday saying we are fixing the link and sent you new download links. We even asked if you were in the states to talk to you to help you. No response from you...

Then we emailed you again today at 11:42 am asking you if you got the files okay... again, no response.

Then you say your waiting on US for 5 days...?

• Advanced Member

Hi kurv, there must be some misread. I said I'm waiting for the solution for 5 days Which I can get the file. But not saying you didn't reply for 5 days.

We even asked if you were in the states to talk to you to help you. No response from you...

No response? I replied you on August 7. (see picture 1)

Then we emailed you again today at 11:42 am asking you if you got the files okay... again, no response.

Still no response? Are you kidding? (see picture 2)

Why does this then fall on my shoulders if you know you don't have good internet connections

This is not the first time I oder download big file. I odered poser 8 which is 3.91 GB from smithmicro and downloaded with my internet connection with no problem.

I also odered and can download the "Got Detail?" tutorial from illuminat3d with no problem. Windows 7 is big but still no problem to download it with my internet connection.

I didn't realize oder download from kurv will have so many limit. I admit that it's my fault I didn't read "DVD-ROM and Digital Download Requirements" before click "Check Out" button, I apologized.

post-445-1249961405_thumb.jpg

post-445-1249961422_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Does the resume from Kurv work for some and not for others? I dont know the technology involved but as I posted previously, with firefox any download I resume does not resume at all because firefox overwrites the file again so its back to zero. I assume all browsers are like that unless you use a download manager. So even with a fast connection I was nervous of getting cut but so far the videos I downloaded from Kurv have been just a one download affair. I plan to get the other videos I want when some discount promo is offered again. :)

I understand how Kurv wants to protect its business and its artists. The Ip check is understandable. But the 3 download limit for the same IP I don't get. I think its more of bandwidth cost not IP protection for artists.

With ftp not being secure, a username password is not secure? We're using ftp in our office and have yet to have problems. Not sure what the IT guys are doing here but they can check IP and block access to ftp accounts too. Nobody else can access the account even if they have the username pass.

Hi kurv, there must be some misread. I said I'm waiting for the solution for 5 days Which I can get the file. But not saying you didn't reply for 5 days.

No response? I replied you on August 7. (see picture 1)

Still no response? Are you kidding? (see picture 2)

This is not the first time I oder download big file. I odered poser 8 which is 3.91 GB from smithmicro and downloaded with my internet connection with no problem.

I also odered and can download the "Got Detail?" tutorial from illuminat3d with no problem. Windows 7 is big but still no problem to download it with my internet connection.

I didn't realize oder download from kurv will have so many limit. I admit that it's my fault I didn't read "DVD-ROM and Digital Download Requirements" before click "Check Out" button, I apologized.

It feels awful that it seems that you treat me as "a man that will share the link with others". From this point, I don't want to say any more. Just pretend that I haven't odered this DVD, have never deal with kurv.

I think we are having a miss communication here, lets start again :) .

We never said we would not allow you more download chances. You kept wanting another solution like FTP and to use Download Managers that we can not do.

With your posts here and emails to me.... I felt like if I sent you another set of links, you would say I was being rude.

Would you like another round of download links :). The other option I offered you is to ship the DVD which you did not reply to.

I did not get your other emails or I did not see them, not sure why, that does not matter. The important thing here is, were trying to help you as we have others.

• Advanced Member

geothefaust.........I seen you have another training DVD on Kurv Sculpting and Retopologizing in 3D Coat. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else.

Here's the link:

http://www.kurvstudios.com/3D-coat/sculpti...opologizing.php

Does this show the workflow for baking high detail into the low poly retopo mesh?

Negative. Just voxel suclpting and retopolization. The DVD is actually a recording of a live webinar I did back in June. We covered, as quickly as we could in the short time allowed, voxel sculpting a head, with some details and then retopologized the head.

• Advanced Member

Got the Videos at tutorial in a download the same day I ordered - couldn't wait for the DVD.

Am enjoying the videos and glad you left the mistakes in there as I make plenty of them and need to know the work arounds.

Great stuff! Very interesting to see others work flow as well.

Great I am glad you like it. :D

I leave everything in there that I had happen to me, or mistakes I made. I even try things a different way to show multiple ways of doing things.

Thanks for the comments, again... I am glad you are enjoying it!!

• Advanced Member

Ey javis. got to watch more video again. I think vid 005_body04 is very confusing with the layers and cut/clone. :)

The reason clone symmetry didn't work is because you modified the torso without symmetry on I think. The pectoral and upper chest look very different from the front view on both sides of the body. So when you used cut/clone symmetry wasn't working? The next video shows how you fixed it but what was the cause of the symmetry not working?

It's because of the way the symmetry plane is local. I believe I used the transform tool which also changed the symmetry plane, therefore using other tools would also be modified by the now also modified symmetry plane.

What you see in the video *was* the official way to work around that, either use cut & clone to a new vox layer, if that worked then you're good to go. If not, then you need to either merge or move that layer to a new layer.

Of course that is no longer needed since now we can just hit the copy symmetry button in the vox tree! Much easier and nicer then before. I haven't tried using this method yet with a modified symmetry plane yet...

• Advanced Member

I see. It really is much easier to understand the tools with a video and actual usage than reading the manual. I haven't touched voxels much so actually that cut and clone workflow is new to me. :)

One thing I do notice though is that people would a mistake with symmetry. When you turn the visual cue off, there's no indication whatsoever that its activated. So sometimes you think its activated but its not because people always turn visual cue off. Unlike max or lw, there's a text that says you're in symmetry without having a big red plane on the screen. :)

• Advanced Member

Ey javis, finished up to body armor. Got some questions if you have time.

About the grooves on the leg armor, would it be better to do the grooves with the curve tool and press Ctrol to subtract? Or now with negative voxel layer we can subtract curve layer for non destructive workfllow. What do you think? Is it possible to use curve tool for grooves? Thanks.

Yes definitely. I would use the new run brush along curve function to do the grooves on the leg pieces. Unfortunately that option wasn't available when I did it! :(

I use some other methods later to create similar grooves in other parts of the armor to show more ways, which I actually like better. But yes, the best way now is to use the curves tool.

Anyway, you are right. I will merge the two threads. I think that would be a best to keep the forum organized.

Hello all,

Just to give another sound to the download melody; I downloaded the file yesterday.

Although the speed fluctuated allot (between 60 and 410 Kb/s) it all went very smooth.

Had a small peek at the first chapter and it looked very good.

This was money well spend, thanks a lot Javis and Kurt. :rolleyes:

Regards, Robert

Thanks Robert for the kind words, I appreciate it. I am glad you are finding it useful!

Of course if you have any questions about anything on there, by all means ask away and I shall answer! :)

I ordered mine last night and got the download link this morning but I get a "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded" error when I click on the download link. I replied to the email so hopefully it will be fixed shortly.

Anyway, I bought 3D-Coat 3 when it was release but I haven't had much of a chance to try out voxel sculpting. This looks like the perfect way to jump into it. Thanks for putting this tutorial together!