3DCoat Forums

Fabio's WIPs

Fabio Dona

Hi, my name is Fabio Dona. I'm a 3d artist from Brazil.

I decided to create this thread to document my progress with 3d-coat. I started using it 4 days ago, and I'm amazed by the possibilities of voxel sculpting

This is my first sculpt. It's not finished or anything. I don't know if I'll keep working on it but I'll try to post everything I make with 3d coat here. I hope you like it.

post-1858-1249373149_thumb.jpg

did you sculpt this in 3d-coat or import from an other app? :unsure:

I'm still learning the program but this is all 3d-coat. I did this directly in pose. It's actually the first time I did a sculpt without symmetry from the beginning.

Thank you for the comments, I'll try to post more soon.

• Contributor
I'm still learning the program but this is all 3d-coat. I did this directly in pose. It's actually the first time I did a sculpt without symmetry from the beginning.

Thank you for the comments, I'll try to post more soon.

You have a good eye! One thing tho', the face looks eerily masculine, especially in the last pose.

Thank you, Tony. Yes, I noticed that too. I'm not using reference for this, but I tried to work a little more on the face...

post-1858-1249371322_thumb.jpg

This model is getting too hard to edit for me. I can't move stuff around at this stage in 3d-coat in a non destructive way, it's not as practical as in a poly sculpting app. Everything is too slow in my machine right now, So I think I will finish this in Zbrush.

I'm still impressed with the voxel sculpting possibilities, but speed is crucial to make fine adjustments at high resolutions... I'm not happy with the brushes too, I guess I need more resolution, but then it's impossible to work without hiding everything.. and hiding parts of the model is way too slow for me, navigation is getting too slow.

Anyway, I'll try to do more stuff with 3d-coat to post here.

• Contributor
Thank you, Tony. Yes, I noticed that too. I'm not using reference for this, but I tried to work a little more on the face...

post-1858-1249371322_thumb.jpg

This model is getting too hard to edit for me. I can't move stuff around at this stage in 3d-coat in a non destructive way, it's not as practical as in a poly sculpting app. Everything is too slow in my machine right now, So I think I will finish this in Zbrush.

I'm still impressed with the voxel sculpting possibilities, but speed is crucial to make fine adjustments at high resolutions... I'm not happy with the brushes too, I guess I need more resolution, but then it's impossible to work without hiding everything.. and hiding parts of the model is way too slow for me, navigation is getting too slow.

Anyway, I'll try to do more stuff with 3d-coat to post here.

Nice work. Interesting your thoughts. Currently adding more resolution decreases the brushes area of influence, But read 3Dioots Ideas thread and see what you think about his thoughts about resolution being a brush based Idea with Voxels. I think its the way forward for this application.

For voxel workflow to be less distructive to detail then Resoltion would need to be extremely high, This in itself is not a problem as a modern workstation can display up to 50 million voxel tri's easily, it is the manipulation of these large high resolution volumes that causes the problematic performance. Currently as Voxel volume resolution increases the brushes area of influence decreases meaning large manipulations become difficult or impossible. when a move is applied resampling has to take place. so rather than work to a Low res to high and back workflow something new has to be adopted. Making the brush engine level its influence rather than level the entire Voxel volumes resolution would mean that Large alterations can be made to high resolution volumes without dire resampling loss of detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Leigh, I'm a little late in this reply but I think we have discussed the voxel sculpting issues in other threads by now... I think 3Dioots ideas are very good, but I'm still not sure what causes performance problems in 3d coat, maybe isn't volume editing at all, maybe it's the surface reconstruction and rendering after the editing that slows everything in higher resolutions. Maybe Andrew could say something about it... and adopt a proper solution... Faster brushes, or a faster render solution can lead to faster editing... or both.

Here's another project that I started a few days ago, it was a very quick sketch, but I'm planning to finish it mostly in 3dcoat now. It's a version of Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer:

post-1858-1250115963_thumb.jpg

Thank you Leigh, I'm a little late in this reply but I think we have discussed the voxel sculpting issues in other threads by now... I think 3Dioots ideas are very good, but I'm still not sure what causes performance problems in 3d coat, maybe isn't volume editing at all, maybe it's the surface reconstruction and rendering after the editing that slows everything in higher resolutions. Maybe Andrew could say something about it... and adopt a proper solution... Faster brushes, or a faster render solution can lead to faster editing... or both.

Here's another project that I started a few days ago, it was a very quick sketch, but I'm planning to finish it mostly in 3dcoat now. It's a version of Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer:

post-1858-1250115963_thumb.jpg

Really nice anatomy. I am interested in the final. Go on. :) Can you tell us, how much time you spend for this status?

• Advanced Member

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the final.