3DCoat Forums

first try

chris_solo

• Advanced Member

Hi all! I'm new on the forum and new user 3dcoat, so this is my first test which is fairly conclusive; but with some concluding reflections on still on the software ...I'm happy in general but I find that lack of precision in the carving or it takes more time compared to its others soft. What is impressive is that creativity has no limit, you can really let go :)

but it must have a good machine because with the big size of brushes and two significant levels of subdivisions, there is a time lag in the action, it's my feeling, or possess a current machine but I would say that my old machine did ZBrush never been lacking in the response time...

so I think it will be improved over time, I hope.

I could develop my test and my impressions, but it's late and I have to go to sleep ... I would do in a future post.

--> sorry for my poor English!

post-1878-1249693551_thumb.jpg

Nice first attempt

Precision is difficult, think one of the most helpful thing's I've found is using layers to add masses. Like with real sculpting, helps get the general shapes I want a bit faster than sculpting from scratch.

Soft stroke, using accurate smoothing some times, and lots of patience. :lazy:

• Advanced Member

If I can give you and advice try to stay as more as possible on low resolution.

Only when you are completely sure that what you are doing is going well increase res.

The disadvantage with volumetric sculpting is that non linear workflow isn't so useful,so the more you stay on low res,less mistakes you do.

• Advanced Member

Hi renderdemon! thanks for your advice, is that I do I put the first forms then as Refine.

I have just incremented twice the resolution....

the problem is that stay in low resolution we do nothing! if you want your head or anatomy looks like a big ball inform its the best way.

You are obliged to detail at one time or another, or 3dcoat will not just make quick sketches 3d...

also I think I had a crash because my machine has only 1g ram and only 256 Mo of ram on my graphic card and my processor is old three, four years.

so I'm happy with the result because the sculpture with 3dcoat has nothing to do with ZB and approach is really different, I love the freedom to go wherever I want in the sculpt.

however there are still things to improve on the tools of sculpture or the fact that we could have a level of detail as well as in others ..

It's my feeling.

I think it's the graphics card like someone told me in my thread, and the rendering needs to be more optimized some how.

My computer has 64bit, 8Gigs of ram and 512MB dedicated for video memory. I still crash a lot, and the brushes don't work as fast as the ones in ZB, on my old 32bit, 2Gig system. Feels like Dial up vs Cable, but it should get better with time like anything else. I want to buy this program after trying it, but not till it gets a speed boost, or I buy a new graphics card.

• Advanced Member

Hi GabeM! Yep you right man!

I'm agree with your opinion, that is why I have to buy a license because I think there is a big potential in and voxel's sculpture, 3dcoat will necessarily improve with time and this forum contributes a little to it ... I think.

I'm already enjoy by the retopology, I started with and I find it awesome compared to ZB or I spent two days to make a whole character with problems to finish the fingertips ... :)

this is my third try, I started a woman's face but I'm only at the beginning ...

post-1878-1249767955_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1249767967_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

nice start on the sketchbook, yeah 3D coat take some getting used to performance wise, also Ive found that increasing voxels doesnt necessarily mean more defined edges, sure it looks rougher when lower voxels are used but it also sometimes looks more well defined.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello all!

it was long since I had not posted and as I got back from holidays, I wanted to try the new version :good::brush: .

Here's a "small" animal head, I wanted to push a little detail ... to go where I wanted to go about ... :)

post-1878-1251575683_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

and yet ...

I spend a lot of time to make the models but it is true that it is a pleasure to sculpt with the voxel.

My opinion is that the future of the sculpture of the voxel is the voxel by adding or subtracting brush through the layers!

for example, you built with a general form and you add to the voxel field as with the brush "sphere" but this matter follows wrap/snap to the main form...and as it is on one layer, you can be remove or add to the function of existing layers!

which does not yet exist as a solution.

This has the effect of making fairly accurate joints and gives clean edges!

this option is for me the future of the sculpture as voxel brushes are for me not precise enough...

post-1878-1251643979_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1251643986_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
and yet ...

I spend a lot of time to make the models but it is true that it is a pleasure to sculpt with the voxel.

My opinion is that the future of the sculpture of the voxel is the voxel by adding or subtracting brush through the layers!

for example, you built with a general form and you add to the voxel field as with the brush "sphere" but this matter follows wrap/snap to the main form...and as it is on one layer, you can be remove or add to the function of existing layers!

which does not yet exist as a solution.

This has the effect of making fairly accurate joints and gives clean edges!

this option is for me the future of the sculpture as voxel brushes are for me not precise enough...

Hehe, I love your work :-)

this one is imple cool

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?act...ost&id=4688

peace P

• Contributor
always in progress, much work to do :brush:

hi, Chris...looks like you've got quite an eye for detail,,,looks like you're enjoying 3DCoat, too......just a tip, but if u buy a new graphics card, newegg.com has some really great prices,,,n as for speed, etc...I noticed a hintbox when I installed 3DC saying that DirX was faster than OpenGL,,n apparently it is, on my pc...u might want to check that n try running the DirX version of 3DC, if you aren't already running it...well, you're doing great...keep it up :drinks:

• Advanced Member

jake_H >thanks, yes there is a certain resemblance, it's true ! :)

3d sculpturess> thanks man, my video graphics card, mine date of 3 years and I'm under directX I find quicker and better than openGL, but it's true that I have not really tried OpenGL but for now it suits me fine in DirectX ;)

(sorry for me baddly english)

• Advanced Member

Hello folks!

here's my progress I change the tail and reworked the back with the Curves tool , which I also used to frame their hands! This tool is really good, can be optimized in its handling ... I find the new brushes are very successful and allow many applications. Several layers are used for hands, legs, body, eyes.

My progress is slow but sure, still much work to do and sculpture, retopo and implementation of textures ...all in 3Dcoat :brush: !

post-1878-1252788134_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1252788141_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1252788151_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1252788157_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1252838442_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

a little .gif 360°, I wanted to test the animation rendering, but I have not been to the end because of computing time ... you'll see that the buttocks are not finished and that the tail is not yet connected to the body, the feet are also in the following blanks soon ...

post-1878-1252871609_thumb.png

a little .gif 360, I wanted to test the animation rendering, but I have not been to the end because of computing time ... you'll see that the buttocks are not finished and that the tail is not yet connected to the body, the feet are also in the following blanks soon ...

Good work :)

PS : I don't see you anymore....may be you can't see MP...

How many time for this creature ?

• Advanced Member

Hello folks! :)

I d like to take a short break before continuing my character, so I tried to do some hard surfaces (only for the face) ... this is a test ... I must finish it!

I hope you like it!

post-1878-1253314069_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1253314081_thumb.jpg

Hello folks! :)

I d like to take a short break before continuing my character, so I tried to do some hard surfaces (only for the face) ... this is a test ... I must finish it!

I hope you like it!

The second one looks interesting, I like him. :)