3DCoat Forums

Voxels to real sculpture

Ghostdog

• Advanced Member

Hi all, after a bit of experimenting yesterday I got my voxel model accepted by Shapeways (a firm that offers 3d printing services)

I just wanted to document the progress of the model-to-sculpture so here is the model (rendered instead as glass) and then as how Shapeways see's this.

It is costing me only $8 USD for one model printed out at a small height if 5cm. For the record, Shapeways has a $25 min order requirement. All costs quoted include shipping!!

post-1094-1250119770_thumb.jpg

post-1094-1250119783_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Hi all, after a bit of experimenting yesterday I got my voxel model accepted by Shapeways (a firm that offers 3d printing services)

I just wanted to document the progress of the model-to-sculpture so here is the model (rendered instead as glass) and then as how Shapeways see's this.

It is costing me only $8 USD for one model printed out at a small height if 5cm. For the record, Shapeways has a $25 min order requirement. All costs quoted include shipping!!

Cool! I will test shapeways too...Would be nice if you will post a picture of the finished piece...

Rene

• Advanced Member

Shapeways seems to offer very interesting solutions. I'd like to test it by myself, too. Please post an image of your object with comments , I can't wait to see it. Is it an abstract sculpture or something like a model of a protein or something like that?

• Advanced Member

Hey Eric, I've posted two images in my original post above, maybe they were blocked for some reason. The image where it shows object in white is how Shapeways 'sees' it. The next image I'll post to this thread will be photo's of how it looks printed.

• Advanced Member

Hi Ghostdog - I am also i n Brisneyland - was wondering who you were using for your 3D printing - and how you were finding pricing.

Cheers

Jake

Hope to see more of your prints soon.

EDIT - DUH READ THE FIRST POST !!!!

Keep it up !!!!

• Advanced Member

LOL @ Brisneyland. Heard of Brisvegas but not that. It fits nicely but :)

I have a slight 'addicts' tendancy towards printing my sculpts, I just wanna do them all - which puts a slight strain on our house-build plans ;)

I'd love to build my own gargoyles for my new house but I suspect that won't go down to well with the missus :)